Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 PM

110 posts, read 292,697 times

Advertisements

"Time it was and what a time it was ..." In '71, I was a college senior and with a low Selective Service Nbr., I knew exactly where I was heading. Because of the war, enlisting in one of the, "safe services" (Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, Nat. Grd., Reserves), was not an option ... they had more than enough volunteers. Marine Corps and Army were your only choices. Was inducted into Army in mid-May but the military was generous enough to not call me for Basic until the end of June. I've always said that when my schooling ended, my real education began. Best thing that could have happened to me. Made me realize how good life is here in the states and how wrong the protesters were, although their intentions were good (and I was one of them at one point in my life). They were misguided because of their lack of knowledge of life outside of academia. Can't do anything to change the past and we've all got stories; some true, some embelished. Wouldn't have changed a thing or lived in a different time. Although I've been faithfully married for over 30 yrs., my one regret is not telling another young lady how I truely felt abt. her in 1970. Although life has been good and I have been blessed, perhaps things would have turned out differently. Never told this to anyone and feel guilty saying it now but what the hell. Anyway, this is me in '71-'72 .
Attached Thumbnails
Do you remember 1971 and 1972?-me71head.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujr View Post
"Time it was and what a time it was ..." In '71, I was a college senior and with a low Selective Service Nbr., I knew exactly where I was heading. Because of the war, enlisting in one of the, "safe services" (Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, Nat. Grd., Reserves), was not an option ... they had more than enough volunteers. Marine Corps and Army were your only choices. Was inducted into Army in mid-May but the military was generous enough to not call me for Basic until the end of June. I've always said that when my schooling ended, my real education began. Best thing that could have happened to me. Made me realize how good life is here in the states and how wrong the protesters were, although their intentions were good (and I was one of them at one point in my life). They were misguided because of their lack of knowledge of life outside of academia. Can't do anything to change the past and we've all got stories; some true, some embelished. Wouldn't have changed a thing or lived in a different time. Although I've been faithfully married for over 30 yrs., my one regret is not telling another young lady how I truely felt abt. her in 1970. Although life has been good and I have been blessed, perhaps things would have turned out differently. Never told this to anyone and feel guilty saying it now but what the hell. Anyway, this is me in '71-'72 .
So where were you stationed? I was one of the last draftees. I went in Nov. While is basic they said we were done in Viet Nam. I went to Germany and although I had crummy duty, I had a wonderful time. I came close to staying overseas but....it is a long story. My service time counted toward my retirement so things worked out.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
In 1971, John Kerry was meeting with our Communist enemies and advocating their positions to Congress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F'ing Kerry
I have been to Paris. I have talked with both delegations at the peace talks, that is to say the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Provisional Revolutionary Government and of all eight of Madam Binh's points...
C-SPAN: Vote 2004

Old 01-22-2008, 04:11 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Wow, born in the early 1970s, you're lucky you name isn't Ziggy, Rainbow, Sunshine, or something like that. Nixon is the President, the Vietnam war extends into Laos, the country is divided, the music is fantastic, I learned how to drive. I think it was Dennis Hopper who said "The 70s made the 60s look like the 50s."

Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
In 1968 I finished up my three years in the Army. By 1971 I was driving a taxi in Chicago.
Several years ago, for personal reasons, I researched events for the year 1971:
Jan 25: Charles Manson and 3 women in his clan are found guilty for the murder of 7 people, including actress Sharon Tate.
Feb 9: Strong earthquake hits San Fernando Valley, by Los Angeles.
April 23: Huge anti-war protest in Washington, attended by 200,000 demonstrators. Many Vietnam vets, some in wheelchairs, file past the fence to toss their medals over the fence, onto the Capitol steps.
April 29: US confirms that the Vietnam war has claimed 45,000 American lives.
May 3: In Washington, another large anti-war demsonstration. 7,000 protestors are detained in RFK Stadium.
June 2: In Yuba City, California, Juan Corona is charged with the murder of 23 young men, whose bodies have been dug up in surrounding area.
June 13: The New York Times begins to publish a secret Pentagon study about US involvement in Vietnam. The Nixon administration tries to block the publishing. (Refer: Daniel Ellsberg).
June 30: Congress ratifies the 26th Amendment, giving voting rights to 18 year olds.
Sept 13: At Attica prison in New York state, prisoners riot causing authorities to call in 1,500 state troopers and National Guard. After 4 days riots end and death toll is 28.
Nove 24: A man known as DB Cooper hijacks a Northwest airliner with 36 passengers aboard, forces a landing to collect $200,000 and be issued four parachutes. Soon after take off he bails out over Washington state. No trace of him, parachute or money was ever found.
Sports: Baltimore Colts beat Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl. Pirates beat Orioles for World Series.
New Movies: "Summer of 42", "Love Story", "Clockwork Orange", "Last Picture Show", "French Connection", "Dirty Harry".
TV & Entertainment: Peter Falk stars as Colombo, CBS premieres "All In The Family". Carol King receives platinum for "It's Too Late" LP. Diana Ross quits Supremes to go solo. Broadway smash hit is "Jesus Christ Superstar"
Abie Hofman's book "Steal This Book" goes on sale.
Obituaries: Jim Morrison (The Doors): July 3, 1971
Louis Armstrong: July 6, 1971
Nikita Krushchev (former Soviet premier); Sept 11, 1971

Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 PM

180 posts, read 957,300 times
Bell bottoms so big they flapped in the wind! Hip huggers so low you could pose for Playboy! Halter tops... ahh! the freedom! Leather belts with long swingy fringe and beads on them, fringed leather jackets with beadwork (mine) or painted scenery, Easy Rider was heart stopping and the envy of every guy, sandals and the original Earth shoe sold out of every discount store, enameled pot leaf belt buckles, and in my opinion, music that was wonderful!

Downside was worrying about my brothers in Nam, hitchhiking urban legends made you worry about how to get to the next concert, cops getting picky about groups hanging around the city corners....

It was an incredible era. Actually, I think they all were. But the ones you are a teenager in are always extra special.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 PM

110 posts, read 292,697 times
Default Stationed

I was in the Nam so briefly a buddy of mine who was Air Force Special Ops. kids me about being there on TDY rather than tour. He did three tours in SE Asia calling in air strikes. I was an FNG who as a 91Bravo spent much of my time unloading Medivacs. New guys were more of a danger than a help so when my birgade rotated back to the world, I was sent back to the states. No complaints from me.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Default The Osmonds 1971

As i stated earlier i was in the 3rd and 4th grades back then and i liked the Bubblegum rock like the Osmonds. I just had to post and laugh watching this on ''The Flip Wilson Show'' in 1971 as the Osmonds are singing yo yo.

YouTube - The Osmonds Yo Yo

Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was born in January 1972 and curious what was life was like for my parents of that year. If you remember it well feel free to share.
The good things, the bad things what was popular, what did you enjoy and what did you hate.
You didn't miss anything. I was 14 then. Popular was Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, Creedence and Black Sabbath. Drugs that were cool were Boones farm Wine (Apple and Strawberry), Orange Sunshine and Purple Microdot as well as pot. AM radio was still king (few cars had FM) but FM was beginning to come on with more album oriented rock replacing what had been the pure domain of classical music. Popular cars were large station wagons for families and Camaros for younger ones although the popular 55-67 hot Chevies were still plentiful too (I had a motorcyle myself that I had built pretty much but no license to ride it legally). And the radio played two songs over and over and over- "Love Will Keep Us Together" by the Captain and Tenille and "Knock Three Times" by Dawn as I recall. Also "Joy To The World" by Three Dog Night from the year before was still popular too. While I was at Woodstock when I was 11, I did not see a "real concert" until that year when I saw Creedence Clearwater along with Bo Diddley. I also saw The Isley Brothers later that year. That said the 70s sucked as a decade. I would not wish to do them again. I was in Jr High and there was alot of racial and social tension in school. Fights all the time. I really had my own issues and did not ant to get caught up in any of that so I often did not even go to school.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
I remember that time well. Was living on a farm then after our family left Chicago because of the neighborhood going downhill.

I was pretty much into myself then. Heard all the usual things on the news, but none of it affected me so I didn't care. I was too busy going to high school and college. Was getting into cars at that time. Yes, I would defintely like to return to some of those days. Seems like a lot less problems in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History