Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:44 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,966 times

Advertisements

You might also check out the Menger Hotel in San Antonio. It was built in the 1850s or so and supposedly Teddy Roosevelt pops up in the bar from time to time. He recruited some of his Rough Riders there. Outside of Seguin ,Texas east of San Antonio is the Capote Ranch.It was owned by relatives of his wife and they helped supply horses for the rough riders accroding to a Texas state historical marker. The ghost who started the whole haunting thing is Sallie White.She was a chambermaid at the hotel in the 1870s,1880s.She was murdered by her common law husband and there are news paper articles of the time about his trial.There are various other ghosts. The Gunther and Crockett Hotels are also haunted,and so is the Emily Morgan and the St.Anthony.
Another place is Victoria's Black Swan Inn on Holbrook,out side of Fort Sam Houston. It was featured on the old show Sightings and the late pyshic Peter James did an investigation there. Across the road is Salado Creek.In fact, on the banks of the creek directly across from the in, you can pull over and read a big stone monument about the Battle of Salado Creek. Part of the battle also took place on the grounds of the inn .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 AM

331 posts, read 381,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
You might also check out the Menger Hotel in San Antonio. It was built in the 1850s or so and supposedly Teddy Roosevelt pops up in the bar from time to time. He recruited some of his Rough Riders there. Outside of Seguin ,Texas east of San Antonio is the Capote Ranch.It was owned by relatives of his wife and they helped supply horses for the rough riders accroding to a Texas state historical marker. The ghost who started the whole haunting thing is Sallie White.She was a chambermaid at the hotel in the 1870s,1880s.She was murdered by her common law husband and there are news paper articles of the time about his trial.There are various other ghosts. The Gunther and Crockett Hotels are also haunted,and so is the Emily Morgan and the St.Anthony.
Another place is Victoria's Black Swan Inn on Holbrook,out side of Fort Sam Houston. It was featured on the old show Sightings and the late pyshic Peter James did an investigation there. Across the road is Salado Creek.In fact, on the banks of the creek directly across from the in, you can pull over and read a big stone monument about the Battle of Salado Creek. Part of the battle also took place on the grounds of the inn .
Thanks for sharing this information. I'll have to check them out!

Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do guests stay in there?
They stay at all of these hotels.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times
I know that you are on the topic of haunted hotels , but if you ever have a chance. Check out bachelors grove cemetery in Illinois . I lived in the area at the time in highschool S my friends and I decided to go there on night at dusk . We were walking into the cemetery on the trail that leads in with a video camera . We barely got to the front gate and orbs starting floating all over my friends sisters head on the camera . We never actually made it into the cemetery that night because we were so frightened . Good luck .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach...Grove_Cemetery

Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I know that you are on the topic of haunted hotels , but if you ever have a chance. Check out bachelors grove cemetery in Illinois . I lived in the area at the time in highschool S my friends and I decided to go there on night at dusk . We were walking into the cemetery on the trail that leads in with a video camera . We barely got to the front gate and orbs starting floating all over my friends sisters head on the camera . We never actually made it into the cemetery that night because we were so frightened . Good luck .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach...Grove_Cemetery
Very interesting -- thanks for sharing!

Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Any hotels you guys recommend/love going to in general?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Default Haunted Hotels

Are amusements for the superstitious.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,649 times
Not long before the paper had went out of business several years ago the Denver Rocky Mountain News had ran a story about what is now the Denver Warwick Hotel being haunted. Back in the late 1960s the top floor of the high rise hotel was the home of Denver's Playboy Club. If I can remember correctly the story goes that one girl ok.. " bunny" died as a result of a drug deal gone bad. From what I can recall reading in that article granted it has been many years ago that Hugh Hefner was so upset at what happened at his Denver club that he had shut down the club despite being a major money-maker at the time since the hotel was not only located within walking distance of downtown Denver but wasn't too far from the old Stapleton International Airport either. Even though the hotel may/may not claim that the place is haunted I have over the years met a number of folks who would be in the neighborhood only to see for a few seconds what looks like to be two young girls dressed in bunny outfits near the rooftop pool which is located next two where the old Playboy Club was once located.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/top-lists...s-in-colorado/

I have seen online postings over the years that claim that the Highland Gardens Hotel in LA is haunted..by Janis Joplin. It was in room 105 at this hotel ( then called the Landmark Hotel ) back in 1970 where the famous singer had overdosed.

Last edited by tantan1968; 11-26-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
We loved our stay at the Menger. Our fifth-floor room overlooked the rear of the Alamo, and we were able to watch as happy tourists (such as were we) went about their explorations, and horse-drawn carriages passed beneath our window. Our only unusual experience took place when we were riding the elevator to the ground floor. That conveyance came to an abrupt halt at floor #4 and opened its doors ... to admit no-one. An electrical malfunction in a dated wing of the hotel? We thought so.

But I suggest that anyone with an open heart and mind walk the levels of Rivercenter Mall. The funeral pyres of some of the Alamo survivors were set there. Walk alone, or at least, be quiet and perceive. Much sadness lingers on the western side of that mall.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, CO
The Strange Hauntings of the Historic Stanley Hotel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History