Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM

746 posts, read 845,414 times

Advertisements

In dealing with the expansion of government powers and limiting of states and individuals freedoms, do you think it was effective the for the Federal Government to step in and force schools in the South to expedite the process of intergration in the 1960's?

While many agree it was clearly in the best interest of this country to integrate the two societies in the south as quickly as possibly was it handled in the best manner? Expanding Governments powers during the 1960's has lead to limited state freedoms and even more limited freedoms enjoyed by citizens today.

Today Mississippi and Alabama have some of the worst performing school systems in the country and almost all of them are racially segregated. Did this great intergration plan work in the south? Or did it just give government more room to evade the tenents of the constitution and gain more authority over states and citizens?

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
I really couldn't answer your question with authority allthough I wouldnt doubt that they took a little power from the states. I do however know that in the integrated schools I attended, the students segregated themselves in the lunchroom and everywhere else other than the classroom.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
yes we had to drag the South into civilization and the 20th century. IMO I would have let the South secede when they did and see how far their agrarian economy would have got them.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
In dealing with the expansion of government powers and limiting of states and individuals freedoms, do you think it was effective the for the Federal Government to step in and force schools in the South to expedite the process of intergration in the 1960's?
thoughts?
Very good question (a "good" question being defined as a "hard one to answer"). Frankly, I don't know the answer. (even though I 'came of age" right in the heart of the civil rights era, when it dominated the daily news). I know ONE thing---no law can really change "the hearts of men" (or whatever that saying is). It's possible that the "Feds" may have inflamed resentment and slowed integration---but I think it's easier to imagine if they hadn't intervened, nothing may have EVER been done (plus the fact that normally the 'feds" NEVER act, until it's WAY past time).

Very noteworthy era. LOTS of spooky stories, some 'good behavior", lots of bad as well. Many white southerners were VERY much aware of the immorality of segregation, but simply couldn't see any way out. They feared black anger and 'backlash', and they feared their racist (and possibly violent) white neighbors...so they kept 'out of it'. It was a real mess.

At an inquest just a few years back, it was admitted that Mississippi was having problems with its dismal 1960's image, and had opened up decades-old sealed records of lots of the 'dirty linen' and violent things that went on there, many of which were covered up or denied at the time. The modern-day spokesman, testifying, insisted that "Most of that stuff that was alleged back then, never really happened----and besides, lots of the people who DID all that stuff are dead now"---(huh?)---it was a very 'dark' era in American history.

I do know that a number of northern blacks are now moving south, willing to give it a try. Apparently they've been convinced of a positive change, and are going for the more relaxed lifestyle, family ties, lower costs, and nicer climate. Where blacks once left by the thousands, they're now returning. Whether this speaks to the 'niceness" of the 'new' South, or the "awfulness" of northern cities, I couldn't say ..maybe it's BOTH.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
yes we had to drag the South into civilization and the 20th century. IMO I would have let the South secede when they did and see how far their agrarian economy would have got them.
You mean drag the south into civilization, like the race riots of the north in the 60's..We didn't have any here in Houston that I can recall...Like the forced busing of children in the south and it was okay until the forced busing hit Boston and the whites of the north raised he!! in the streets about it... Is that the civilization you are talking about ?????

Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 PM

The Detroit race riots: 40 years later
Comments (22)
Friday, July 20, 2007 | 05:49 PM ET
The summer of 1967 has been described as a long, high-pitched scream of rage for many black people in the United States. There were dozens of race riots from Omaha, Nebraska; to Chicago, Illinois; Jackson, Mississippi; Tampa, Florida; Boston, Massachusetts; Atlanta, Georgia; Newark, New Jersey; Ohio, Alabama, and even California.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourview/2007/07/the_detroit_race_riots_40_year.html (broken link)

So it was just a thing of the south was it ?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM

The 1943 Detroit race riots
By Vivian M. Baulch and Patricia Zacharias / The Detroit News

Even as World War II was transforming Detroit into the Arsenal of Democracy, cultural and social upheavals brought about by the need for workers to man the bustling factories threatened to turn the city into a domestic battleground.

Recruiters toured the South convincing whites and blacks to head north with promises of high wages in the new war factories. They arrived in such numbers that it was impossible to house them all.

Blacks who believed they were heading to a promised land found a northern bigotry every bit as pervasive and virulent as what they thought they had left behind in the deep south.

detnews.com | Michigan History

I think some of you need to study your history lessons again....

Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 PM

On the afternoon of July 27, 1919, Eugene Williams, a black youth, drowned off the 29th Street beach. A stone throwing melee between blacks and whites on the beach prevented the boy from coming ashore safely. After clinging to a railroad tie for a lengthy period, he drowned when he no longer had the strength to hold on. This was the finding of the Cook County Coroner's Office after an inquest was held into the cause of death. William Tuttle, Jr.'s book, Race Riot: Chicago in the Red Summer of 1919, includes a 1969 interview with an eyewitness. This witness was one of the boys swimming and playing with Eugene Williams in Lake Michigan between 26th Street and the 29th Street Beach. He recalled having rocks thrown at them by a single white male standing on a breakwater 75 feet from their raft. Eugene was struck in the forehead and as his friend attempted to aid him, Eugene panicked and drowned. The man on the breakwater left, running toward the 29th Street Beach. By this time rioting had already erupted there precipitated by vocal and physical demonstrations against a group of blacks who wanted to use the beach in defiance of its tacit designation as a "white" beach.

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/...iots_race.html

Here's another history lesson for you !

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM

So when You nice people want to call this just a southern thing, think again...

It was wrong in the north and south but be willing to take your blame for what you also did in the north...and stop blaming it only on the south..

Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Moved from P&OC to History.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History