Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 08:27 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,183,260 times

Advertisements

It is has long been known that the bluestones at Stonehenge came from Pembrokeshire hills in Wales - about 140 miles from the famous Salisbury Plain site.

New evidence suggests that the stones may have been first erected in Pembrokeshire before being moved to Salisbury Plain:

Quote:
archaeologists have discovered a series of recesses in the rocky outcrops of Carn Goedog and Craig Rhos-y-felin, to the north of those hills, that match Stonehenge’s bluestones in size and shape. They have also found similar stones that the prehistoric builders extracted but left behind, and “a loading bay” from where the huge stones could be dragged away.
Carbonised hazelnut shells and charcoal from the quarry workers’ campfires have been radiocarbon-dated to reveal when the stones would have been extracted.
Prof Mike Parker Pearson, director of the project and professor of British later prehistory at University College London (UCL), said the finds were “amazing”.
“We have dates of around 3400 BC for Craig Rhos-y-felin and 3200 BC for Carn Goedog, which is intriguing because the bluestones didn’t get put up at Stonehenge until around 2900 BC,” he said. “It could have taken those Neolithic stone-draggers nearly 500 years to get them to Stonehenge, but that’s pretty improbable in my view. It’s more likely that the stones were first used in a local monument, somewhere near the quarries, that was then dismantled and dragged off to Wiltshire.”
Stonehenge may have been first erected in Wales, evidence suggests | UK news | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,831 times
Ancient -- and even medieval -- builders often reused cut stone blocks, so it's entirely possible that they were used first in some other moment and then re-used later.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 AM

10,375 posts, read 8,017,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Ancient -- and even medieval -- builders often reused cut stone blocks, so it's entirely possible that they were used first in some other moment and then re-used later.
Given how hard and tedious it was to hew stone for construction, that showed good sense on the part of the builders. (One of the most striking things I remember from my visit to Rome last year was seeing buildings cobbled together from various pieces of marble that had clearly belonged to some earlier structures. The lintel of one church had "Divine Emperor Nerva" carved on it!)

I wonder why the bluestones weren't reused in a more local project, though, instead of being carted 140 miles to Salisbury? I guess we'll never know.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,400 times
The stones were laid on poles of yew ( I have read), and then pushed along on top, with the back poles move to the front. I cant answer how they got around barriers such as hills and streams! ( not the A303) but in are modern instant gratification world, this is impressive, And why Salisbury Plain ( the great plain)? Maybe this is due to the ancient ley-lines . Even now as you drive to Cornwall or Devon, the stones are impressive

Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 9,604 times
That place was torture.
I believe many Israelite children were smashed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History