Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 856,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
The Germans started Operation Barbarossa with 240 divisions of troops.
I thought it was 200 german and the rest Hungarian/Romanian/finnish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Yeah, sensible considering Germany was never even planning for going to war with the USA until backed into a corner and that Hitler had an affinity for America considering at the time it was a white country with a sizable German population.
In reality Midwest USA is the real lebensraum that germans craved for
millions of germans came here , farmed the land and settled had kids and became very well integrated in mainstream society and no wars and no genocides ( just some lynchings like that of Robert prager )
rather than messing with USSR, germans should have just encouraged more migration to USA and there would be 10 million more germans here

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
I guess that excuses the butchering and starving of seven million Ukrainians by the Reds.

one of the worst genocides , so painful to watch those starving skeletons of kids and adults
cannot believe the red butchers were not tried for any warcrimes for this ?
again an episode entirely missing in our collective memory in the west

Old 06-16-2016, 05:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I thought it was 200 german and the rest Hungarian/Romanian/finnish
Sorry, "240 divisions total".

Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 AM

One Italian veteran told me, back in 1974, that they were hoping for garrison duty somewhere so they could avoid the front, but that the ones who actually got that duty were cut up by partisans and seldom got a good night's sleep.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
"Wouldn't it have been awesome had the Nazis defeated the Soviets and the Nazi's been defeated?"

Doubtful. If the Nazis defeated the Soviets, they would have gained access to Soviet oil...the resource that they ran out of towards the end of the war. They would have forcefully converted Soviet soldiers and manufacturing capabilities. Then we may consider that the Soviets employed more battle tanks than the rest of the world combined. These tanks would now be employed by the Nazis.

In all likelihood, the Nazis would have won the war after prevailing over the Soviets. If we had somehow managed a victory, the losses to both sides would probably have been staggering.

We were also a better country when we vied with the Soviets for the hearts and minds of the world. After attaining a virtual monopoly on world power, we became what monopolies tend to become.

The world is not full of bad guys (them) vs good guys (us). It is a world where malevolence attains global dominance as benevolence has no historically proven interest in global domination. One may conjecture upon degrees of malevolence...of course.

As the Chinese continue their rise to global dominance, it will be very interesting to see what unfolds. Their history of invasions and assassinations is apparently better than many of the historical global cops. This is considering the past couple centuries of course.

I am marginally hopeful that the world can somehow assimilate an answer to the triumvirate of American/British/Australian/Israeli power. Cornering a billion Muslims....who may, or may not "go quietly into the night" will likely prove to be historically significant.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 06-16-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 1,857 times
Awesome? If the Soviets were defeated, then the Generalplan Ost would have been executed in full which would have resulted in deaths of approximately 35 million Eastern European people. You really find that awesome??

Old 06-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvadim View Post
Awesome? If the Soviets were defeated, then the Generalplan Ost would have been executed in full which would have resulted in deaths of approximately 35 million Eastern European people. You really find that awesome??
There are people who have a strong belief that the Nazis had the right idea. The best way to counter that kind of thinking is to clearly and precisely refute their claims. It does no good to argue with them. Just give the lurkers the best information you have and go from there. (This based on fifty years of arguing with them.)

Old 06-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
"Wouldn't it have been awesome had the Nazis defeated the Soviets and the Nazi's been defeated?"

Doubtful. If the Nazis defeated the Soviets, they would have gained access to Soviet oil...the resource that they ran out of towards the end of the war. They would have forcefully converted Soviet soldiers and manufacturing capabilities. Then we may consider that the Soviets employed more battle tanks than the rest of the world combined. These tanks would now be employed by the Nazis.

In all likelihood, the Nazis would have won the war after prevailing over the Soviets. If we had somehow managed a victory, the losses to both sides would probably have been staggering.

We were also a better country when we vied with the Soviets for the hearts and minds of the world. After attaining a virtual monopoly on world power, we became what monopolies tend to become.

The world is not full of bad guys (them) vs good guys (us). It is a world where malevolence attains global dominance as benevolence has no historically proven interest in global domination. One may conjecture upon degrees of malevolence...of course.

As the Chinese continue their rise to global dominance, it will be very interesting to see what unfolds. Their history of invasions and assassinations is apparently better than many of the historical global cops. This is considering the past couple centuries of course.

I am marginally hopeful that the world can somehow assimilate an answer to the triumvirate of American/British/Australian/Israeli power. Cornering a billion Muslims....who may, or may not "go quietly into the night" will likely prove to be historically significant.

But that's the problem , a great majority of European and US leaders continue to think of Russia as their biggest and greatest enemy and they are continuing to support a lot of middle eastern countries just because they are historical enemies of Russia ( and they are invariably muslim ).Even though India right now is on good terms with the west, it is in our best interests in the west to keep india occupied with petty disputes with its neighbors and surrounded by enemies
DIVIDE and rule should be the policy

I'm personally pro-german ( I think Europe unified under this new pluralistic democritic Germany is a force for good not evil like the Nazis) and pro-Slavic as well , I think we need to stop this cold war mentality and encourage a entente between the West and Russia. Israel is pretty much a western country not because its my theological belief of their moral superiority but because in terms of demographics most Israelis are of European descent.

I don't want ANY muslim country that is anti-Russian as an ally of the west, I think if the Russians and Chinese if properly supported by the West can definitely keep these muslim countries in check.I have no problem with muslim countries like Malaysia and Indonesia Bangladesh who are not natural enemies of Russia.But countries like Iran,Turkey,pakistan,Saudi Arabia ,Egypt etc need to be kept in check firstly by exploiting their internal rivalries and secondly by making Russia stronger and more menacing to them.

and btw before you think I'm a white racist or a bigot I can tell you im not white but of south Asian descent.If we want to continue to live in free democratic societies in the west we need to abandon this good guy vs bad guy approach to international polictics.

Even the combined power of Russia and china ( who are rivals to begin with) is nothing compared to USA and Europe so we should not be alarmed by it but they ( china + Russia) have the toughness and ruthlessness to deal with a lot of middle eastern /Asian countries ( muslim or otherwise ) in a much better way than we can

Last edited by Dad01; 06-18-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
^^Thanks for the reply. My goal was to spark some debate regarding the eternally murky world of international relations.

I agree with some of your ideas though I tend to think we have no business in the affairs of other countries....or most individuals for that matter.

Russia was highly effective in dealing with ISIS. They clobbered ISIS for a couple months then went home. We have been pumping trillions into the Middle Eastern nightmare for 13 years with no sign of any exit plan at all. In fact....the situation is growing more precarious with each passing year.

Syria, Iraq, ISIS, and Libya are such a mess that I don't believe that anybody knows exactly what is going on. I do believe that the migrant crisis is probably going to be an eternal nightmare.

I may expect some sort of revenge to be exacted in a meaningful way at some point in the future. Could be hacking, EMP, nuke, or biological. Nobody knows. At that time, we may stand a good chance of effectively taking out the world. Noisy 70 pound chimps can get your attention. It is the 8,000 pound gorilla that may kill you....and a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History