Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times

Advertisements

It's crazy how people think one man can kill the president of the United States by himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 08:51 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Read this

http://www.amazon.com/JFK-Unspeakabl.../dp/1439193886

Old 04-03-2016, 08:56 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Better question - what if people stopped believing that there was some sort of complex JFK assassination conspiracy....

There is overwhelming proof beyond a reasonable doubt proof that Oswald acted alone. And yet still you get people that will come up with every sort of contrived crazy conspiracy theory imaginable, even after it's disproved. A segment of the population just refuse to believe the truth. There is an entire industry around it - books, TV shows, and movies. Also for many people, there is a phychological need to assess a greater purpose to such a tragic event as a presidential assassination other than one crazy dude with an surplus rifle - it's just too simple so they must make it complex.

What would happen if people FINALLY let go of the JFK conspiracy theories:
-An entire conspiracy theory industry collapsing
-Conspiracy theoriest resorting to anti-depression medicine to address the empty hole in there lives.

The thing is, most of the conspiracy controversy revolves around the overhyped second and third shooters theories. The real question is... were they acting alone? I believe that Oswald acted alone, and so the only man who would know the answer to that question died before he could be questioned thoroughly. I believe Oswald was the only shooter because you don't need a backup sniper for one target. But, Oswald could have acted alone. It's entirely possible that he really was just a lone nut with delusions of grandeur.

And another larger question that relates to this, I think, is this: Why has Kennedy's legacy as a Cold Warrior and committed anticommunist and nationalist been rewritten to make him seem more.... in line with the establishment Left mode of thinking. Such as this notion he wanted to pull the troops out of Vietnam. It's almost as if the motive is to make it seem logical to blame some rogue group of "right wingers". And that is in fact what most conspiracy theories ultimately set forth. The military-industrial-CIA-warhawk trope.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:58 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Since you mentioned the 9/11 conspiracy theory, I'm curious what your opinion is. (I've read about this but have never discussed it with anyone before.) I'm confounded by the fact that the towers & everything in them disintegrated to DUST, not even structural beams or office supplies or furniture fragments were found in the rubble. Yes, two huge fuel-filled airplanes would do a lot of damage, but they shouldn't have turned everything to DUST. Also it's suspected that explosives were planted under the buildings in advance of the plane strikes

With all due respect, not intending to take this thread's topic on a tangent.
Not everything turned to dust. The tower's engineering, its exoskeleton permitted the implosion.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:20 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobuff View Post
A recent JFK thread "Where Were You When" has given me pause to ask the question:

If, after all these years, definitive proof of a JFK conspiracy surfaced, what would be the reaction from:

1. The public
2. The establishment
3. The U.S. government

And, perhaps most importantly, what would it mean for the future of the country? Insurrection? Indifference? Somewhere in between? Most people believe there was a conspiracy. But they are not sure. What if they were sure?

Thoughts?
You can't kill a myth with a fact.
There will forever be an "uncovered conspiracy" and no amount of evidence will change minds.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM

43 posts, read 35,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
And another larger question that relates to this, I think, is this: Why has Kennedy's legacy as a Cold Warrior and committed anticommunist and nationalist been rewritten to make him seem more.... in line with the establishment Left mode of thinking. Such as this notion he wanted to pull the troops out of Vietnam. It's almost as if the motive is to make it seem logical to blame some rogue group of "right wingers". And that is in fact what most conspiracy theories ultimately set forth. The military-industrial-CIA-warhawk trope.

This is a great question. The short answer is that official history is written by the winners. Especially recent history. But over the years, cracks in the official version of history have been surfacing as more and more facts see the light of day.

Please see: https://www.bostonreview.net/us/galb...rategy-vietnam. The author, John Galbraith, is just one PhD historian who is trying to correct the official version of history. John Newman is another such scholar.

The difficulty for us lay people is that the media and established history holds much more sway over our views than recent scholarly works, in large part because the scholarly stuff requires time and mental energy to digest.

So our views in the JFK case are shaped by easily digestible outlandish conspiracy theories, or a simplified, sanitized, palatable view of events (Oswald did it). The truth is neither.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 AM

43 posts, read 35,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You can't kill a myth with a fact.
There will forever be an "uncovered conspiracy" and no amount of evidence will change minds.
I'm not so sure about that!

What if something surfaced that provided unassailable evidence of conspiracy? Plain for all to see. Would that not kill the myth?

Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's crazy how people think one man can kill the president of the United States by himself

I am hoping that you intended that as sarcasm.

Or, have you forgotten about Guiteau and Czolgosz?

Even in the case of Booth, he managed to assassinate Lincoln without the help of any of his co-conspirators because they had been assigned other roles in that Anti-Union plot.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:49 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
If the result is the same, does it really matter if there was a "conspiracy"??
Dad bought me the Warren Report, which I know view as a bunch of pre-conceived crap, but good if you believe Elites actually care what the peasants think. And they don't.

Oswald was coached to think it was his idea. I see that in life all the time from pimps, cops, politicians, and narcissists that know/are willing to use/lead people. Happens every day. Result is the same: the guys dead.

Political Science theory says that nothing works as well as POLITICAL ASSASSINATION. How different the path might have been had MLKing, Malcom X, Bobby Kennedy, and JFK had lived. But they didn't.

AND as a result we got Nixon, Reagan, the Bush kids, so don't get me going.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
If the result is the same, does it really matter if there was a "conspiracy"??
Dad bought me the Warren Report, which I know view as a bunch of pre-conceived crap, but good if you believe Elites actually care what the peasants think. And they don't.

Oswald was coached to think it was his idea. I see that in life all the time from pimps, cops, politicians, and narcissists that know/are willing to use/lead people. Happens every day. Result is the same: the guys dead.

Political Science theory says that nothing works as well as POLITICAL ASSASSINATION. How different the path might have been had MLKing, Malcom X, Bobby Kennedy, and JFK had lived. But they didn't.

AND as a result we got Nixon, Reagan, the Bush kids, so don't get me going.

It does matter if it was a conspiracy because if it was, we didn't have the person we voted for due to moral and legal crimes by the elite.

I remember reading one of the persons named in the paragraph allegedly saying if the people knew such and such we (certain pols) would be dragged in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History