Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There was no effective and nonintrusive birth control in the 1950s. The first birth control pills came on the market in the '60s, and the IUD was starting to be popular by the early '70s. Once people could have sex without babies, they did. Except for Catholics and Mormons, the 6 child family virtually disappeared.
Condoms were widely available, as were IUD's. I have a second cousin once removed who became a multi-millionaire by installing condom machines in railway stations in post-war Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I'm one of those fifties kids. It's actually very easy to see why. Dad was in the Navy. He fought all across the pacific. Mom had a map she made of the pacific so she could see where he was, or at least where the last letter. We were watching this movie where the soldiers destroyed an encampment of this tribe, even the babies. It was done with an eye to realism. I notice Dad looked away. I asked him later. He said he didn't want to remember.

Dad in the fifties, with his new civilian job, and his only child, and the middleclass dream, just wanted to have a family and kids and live in peace. Mom couldn't have another, but she just wanted the united family she'd dreamed of with him. I call myself lucky to have grown up in surburbia in the fifties/sixties. It wasn't a very realistic world, but I think it was what our parents needed since they had seen and suffered already and wanted their children to have peace.

And when you look at the scope of the war, there was nowhere it didn't touch. Some places more and others less, but even where there was no war, there were still body bags and the lingering uncertainty if that was the last letter. I think the relationships between my parents generations were often so close because they had to wait for the golden moments and once the world was done with them, they only wanted family and children and good walls around them to live in.

My dad's generation is also the one who built the rockets and shared the dream of going to space and landing a man on the moon. I think the generations which have the big dreams and work hard to make them are the ones who have figured out with suffering and denial what really matters and how nothing can replace a family.

I wish mine, the cousins and aunts and uncles and their kids families could be as close with our children as family was then, not just a couple of parents and grandparents who'd moved to cheaper cost of living areas.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Condoms were widely available, as were IUD's. I have a second cousin once removed who became a multi-millionaire by installing condom machines in railway stations in post-war Germany.
Condoms are considered intrusive
First you have to get it to put it on then its barrier to insemination makes sex less enjoyable. Thus today with a fatal virus being spread for 30 years people still don't want to use them if they can avoid it

Old 07-27-2016, 03:03 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There was no effective and nonintrusive birth control in the 1950s. The first birth control pills came on the market in the '60s, and the IUD was starting to be popular by the early '70s. Once people could have sex without babies, they did. Except for Catholics and Mormons, the 6 child family virtually disappeared.
As I stated, I am an Only Child by Choice born in 1948. Not only condoms were available, but the Diaphragm was available to women in the 50's. Mom told me she used it when we "compared notes" after I myself used in it the 80's while I was nursing my daughter and didn't want to go back on the Pill. My husband had a vasectomy but we still needed to use BC (barrier method with breastfeeding) until his sperm count came out to zero. The IUD was taken off the market for many years.

My Mom was born in 1920. Isn't it wonderful that a woman of that generation could freely discuss her method of BC with her own daughter? I did also with my daughter both before and after she married.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:08 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Schtupping.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Schtupping.
Lilli von Schtupp.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Condoms are considered intrusive
First you have to get it to put it on then its barrier to insemination makes sex less enjoyable. Thus today with a fatal virus being spread for 30 years people still don't want to use them if they can avoid it
Not so intrusive that my second cousin became a multi-millionaire in post war Europe selling them. Obviously.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
No more war = people happy.
People happy = lots of sex.
Lots of sex = lots of babies.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:38 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
1.Horny G.I.s that no longer had saltpeter in their food .
2.They used rubbers to cover the barrels of their rifles going into battle from water,dirt ,sand but not to cover their gun when they returned home horny.
3.My parents met shorty after WW2 courted made sure they had the means to get married in 1947 [dad was 29 mom was 25].again made sure they had the means to support kids my sister was born in 1955 I was born in 1960.
4.Sex...its what real men and women do!

Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Horny people.
lol...Amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History