Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,465,509 times

Advertisements

with better nutrition, physical training, boxing & MMA skills

how well would a tough guy brawler, bouncer from back in 1916 do against a modern day tough guy?

the modern day guys are built so much more stronger than the old days, do you think they would stand a chance?

also the gun fighters of the old west vs the modern day combat handgunners of today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 11:02 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
with better nutrition, physical training, boxing & MMA skills

how well would a tough guy brawler, bouncer from back in 1916 do against a modern day tough guy?

the modern day guys are built so much more stronger than the old days, do you think they would stand a chance?

also the gun fighters of the old west vs the modern day combat handgunners of today?

I think the modern day tough guy would wipe the floor with a guy from back then simply due to the improved intelligence and speed of modern man.

A 'tough guy' from 1916 was one of 102 million citizens in america, there are currently 320 million people now, so there's more than 3x the amount of 'tough guys' to choose from, a baseball player like Babe Ruth might not even make a major league club today and most of his competition certainly would not, the 'pool' of athletes to choose from was very small back then, today, its not only that America has 3x the people but things are international now, so a baseball player is beating not only the best from america, but the best from other lands, the pool of potential ball players is over 100x greater since anyone from japan or china or any other country can come to america and play at the highest level, and that too goes for tough guys, in order to be a tough guy, you have to beat out other tough guys, the competition to be a tough guy is greater and the pool is much larger, so who's to say a tough guy in 1916 was even tough? we don't know, but i find it hard to go with the guy from 100 years ago.

same might hold true for intelligence, an average intelligence person today might be a genius in 1916, think of the things that weren't invented in 1916, people weren't smart enough back then to invent them, humans as a whole are infinitely smarter, there are plenty of 'einsteins' in 2016, but only one back in the day.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 AM

633 posts, read 582,166 times
John L Sullivan was best boxer in history and would kick the ass of anyone in 2016 in a match.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:06 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
It's all about nutrition and health, particularly during early development. Humans are generally larger and healthier today. Generally modern man will win...

I say generally - On the other hand you have many feminized metrosexual wimpy men-boys who are essentially wimped out by society - overly protected and dependent on government, spending there days playing video games or behind a desk, limiting there fighting experience to internet forum arguments, caught up in political correctness and there "sensitive side". Men were of a tougher breed 100 years ago for sure.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:16 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
1916, I reckon a lot of the 'wimpy' young lads from this country were sitting in trenches just then,(wimpy young lads from other countries too) I wonder how you big tough guys would do in that situation!? Sent into 'no mans land' to face the Germany machine guns you could just 'scare' them away with your 'Gangsta rap' eh?

Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
John L Sullivan was best boxer in history and would kick the ass of anyone in 2016 in a match.
Actually, No, not Chuck Norris.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:42 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,644,874 times
My money would be on the gunfighters of the old west. There's a reason a number of them were shot in the back of the head from close range like, Wild Bill Hickok, John Wesley Hardin and Jesse James, from people they knew. People knew what they were like with a gun in their hand and weren't going to take any chances. I bet I could come up with a list of 100 gunfighters of the old west but I can't think of the names of any of today's gunmen.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
My money would be on the gunfighters of the old west. There's a reason a number of them were shot in the back of the head from close range like, Wild Bill Hickok, John Wesley Hardin and Jesse James, from people they knew. People knew what they were like with a gun in their hand and weren't going to take any chances. I bet I could come up with a list of 100 gunfighters of the old west but I can't think of the names of any of today's gunmen.
Give me an AK or AR-15 and I will shoot Jesse James in the head from a roof 300 yards away. ME STRONG MAN!

Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 AM

10,021 posts, read 8,644,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Give me an AK or AR-15 and I will shoot Jesse James in the head from a roof 300 yards away. ME STRONG MAN!
Tom Horn would pick you off the roof from 400 yards away with his Winchester and then place a rock under your head.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Post snowball fight, Princeton, New Jersey 1893

Post snowball fight, Anywhere, USA 2016

Moderator cut: Inappropriate image removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-23-2016 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Removed image having nothing to do with tough guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History