Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM

335 posts, read 1,533,339 times

Advertisements

Just finished watching the 1972 BBC series of Tolstoy's "War and Peace." The film version was faithful to the book.

Fascinating times. The story is about events in the lives of three wealthy families. During that time, wealthy landowners and nobility controlled most of the land. Serfs, or working peasants, belonged to the land. If you sold the land, you sold the peasants with it.

In 1812, Napoleon invaded Moscow. Instead of fighting, the Russians retreated and burned the city of Moscow, which was mostly constructed of wood. They also burned the crops, so that the French armies were left in Moscow with no supplies to get them through a tough winter.

The French retreated, more than half of the troops dying of starvation and illness and freezing in the brutal cold.

What an amazing time in history. Is anyone else interested in this period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
I have heard people complain that the book was too long but I dont think it could have been written any differently.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
I have heard people complain that the book was too long but I dont think it could have been written any differently.
Hi Lt. Dan,

Maybe the book was simply too long for them to read!

People didn't have television, film, or soap operas back then. They read books instead.

I thought the story was fascination and brilliant how the characters evolved over a period of several years.

I also think it was an interesting time in history!

Carrot

Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
In 1812, Napoleon invaded Moscow.
What an amazing time in history. Is anyone else interested in this period?
Napoleon invading Russia would wind up being so eerily simular as to when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union (Russia). In fact Napoleon invades on June 24 and Hitler invades June 22. With the same winter elements and scorched earth policy doing most of the destruction in both time era's.

Napoleon had conqured all of Europe up to the invasion as did Hitler. When Napoleon invaded it was the largest army invasion ever in history of over 650,000 troops. When Hitler invaded with 2.5 million troops that was the largest invading army ever.

Napoleon had not conqured Britain and lost most battles at sea and in Egypt to her. Hitler when invaded had not conqured Britain and had lost most air battles over english channel to her.

Napoleon when invaded was also bogged down in Iberia (Spain and Portugal) with needed troops there and did not conquer it. Hitler when invaded was bogged down in North Africa with troops there and did not Conquer it.

Interesting in that the Germans intensely studied how Napoleon invaded and his mistakes and made all preparations for that not to happen to them. Also the Soviets/Russians studied how the Russians survived against Napoleon and used those hit and run winter battle tactics to their advantage.

Interesting to study......

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-29-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I noticed that tonight on the Military Channel at 8.00 P.M. EST is a show called ''Napoleons Lost Army'' which is about his Russian campaign for those who have this channel and are interested. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as Comcast is still showing this channel for free again today so hopefully i'll get to watch this tonight.

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 03-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
There's a very nice collection of quotes from W&P and reminiscences of soldiers about the burning of MOscow, here: The Great Fire in Moscow (1812)- Olga's Gallery

Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM

594 posts, read 1,778,204 times
Default Russia 1812: Napoleon Invasion and "War & Peace"

delusianne,

Thanks for sharing this interesting article. It's a keeper and I've made a copy for my files. I haven't studied this period, but it gives me a new incentive to read War and Peace. The uncanny occurrences in nature etc that seemingly turn history on its head give credence to the idea that perhaps an unseen hand guides the affairs of men more than we know.
John

Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
delusianne,

The uncanny occurrences in nature etc that seemingly turn history on its head give credence to the idea that perhaps an unseen hand guides the affairs of men more than we know.
John
"I saw Satan laughing with delight," in the song American Pie, sums that suspicion up for me

Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
I have really yet to get into that interesting chapter in history, except for the basics. An equivalent person to me and others in the U.S. that are really into the American Civil War are Europeans who are into the Napolionic Wars. Battles and strategy is studied, generals are examined, "what if" scenarios are discussed for hours.

Quote:
""I saw Satan laughing with delight," in the song American Pie, sums that suspicion up for me"
Delusiane I think of another song when I think of that topic:

"I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name"

Old 03-13-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
The uncanny occurrences in nature etc that seemingly turn history on its head give credence to the idea that perhaps an unseen hand guides the affairs of men more than we know.
John
<somewhat off topic (or is it! )>

On the subject of us being manipulated by you-know-who...

Have you read Twain's Mysterious Stranger? It was my first run-in with speculation on this subject. He started several versions; the most developed one he set in medieval Austria - and I love to imagine his feelings & observations on his trips to Europe that inspired his choice of setting.

He also started a version with Tom and Huck in Hannibal!

The Mysterious Stranger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

</off topic, and no more I promise>

Last edited by delusianne; 03-13-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: tweaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History