Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

"Abraham Lincoln was not the Great Emancipator: he was the Great Warmonger and Imperialist, the Great Racist, the Great Taxer-and-Spender, the Great Corruptionist, the Great Incarcerator and the Great Vandal of the Constitution."
SIX BIG LIES ABOUT ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SLAVES AND THE WAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Being from the north part of the U.S. I grew up being told that he was one of the greatest men who ever lived. Not directly but you get the point. Never anything bad said about him only hero worship to the nth degree. But I am thinking different about him now. For one thing he was not a popular president back in the days that he got elected but got in by some kind of a fluke in the political system. Also, he ordered the first shots fired of the civil war when he ordered union ships to fire on fort Sumter South Carolina. In the debates between Lincoln and Douglas I thought that Douglas was the realist and was more in tuned to what the issues were about. But also just the fact that he is given this almighty super human aura by the media and historians makes me wonder about the truth of who Lincoln was. Anytime someone says someone is so great I have to catch myself and say lets looks at things closer. The old saying goes if it looks too good to be true it probably is.
He was one of the greats. But he was not without faults.

The war was sealed, once the south declared it would illegally secede, rather than give up owning other people against their will.

The Confederates fired the first shot.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
I see your Lincoln and raise you a Lee. Has he won Gettysburg and Taken the war into into NY and NE it would have broken the unions will to fight. He needed 30k more men and better supply lines. Had he started his move into the north a year ealier a different outcome is likely.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:06 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
slavery would have run it`s course soon enuff and would not have required the loss of over 600 thousand men including dozens of my distant cousins who fill this family graveyard and most likely never ever even saw a black person much less a slave ,,my family did not die protecting slavery ,, they died defending their homes from a northern invasion .. i never saw a black person till i was 13 years old and i live in the deep south ...
slavery would have run it's course. like today when there is no slavery in the world?
and for those who were slaves at the time, we should have just said, "Oh hey, don't worry. Slavery will run its course after a few more generations of your children have been slaves their whole lives."

The South could have chosen to be somewhat more moral and not believe that OWNING PEOPLE was acceptable.

Moderator cut: Cutting out Political remark.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-28-2017 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Politics

Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Surprise, surprise... the poster who can find no end of things for which to lavish praise on Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich - which he routinely depicts as an innocent victim of Anglo-American aggresson - and even the SS, also despises Abraham Lincoln.

//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...l#post42310260

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...l#post44104222

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...l#post38637676

What a shock...
Glad you did that research! Thank you!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20, but barring the possibility of continuing forestallment of Civil War until slavery became economically unsustainable (not likely!) most of the blame for fanning the flames lies at the doorstep of the fanatical abolitionists. (And for my money, they bear an unflattering resemblance to some of our own Social Justice Nazis).

It's generally recognized that Lincoln -- a product of the border states who sound himself in favor with a diverse coalition of advocacies -- saw preservation of the Union as his foremost concern and that, combined with strong support within the Union armies, solidified his re-election in 1864, Once war broke out, Lincoln abandoned principle and did what pragmatism and survival demanded be done. Fate didn't allow us the luxury of learning what his actions would have been upon the final cessation of hostilities, but it could hardly have turned out much worse than what actually happened.

Lincoln holds the highest position in the Pantheon of American Statesmen because in the public mindset, he preserved the Union at the cost of his own life. That statement might be subject to a lot of qualification in the academic world, but barring the emergence of some very serious new facts, it's going to hold for a very long time.
good post

Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"Abraham Lincoln was not the Great Emancipator: he was the Great Warmonger and Imperialist, the Great Racist, the Great Taxer-and-Spender, the Great Corruptionist, the Great Incarcerator and the Great Vandal of the Constitution."
SIX BIG LIES ABOUT ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SLAVES AND THE WAR
It's so important that we strongly consider the views of a Canadian-Australian as we discuss our American history.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I'd say John Booth seemed to disliked him. A lot.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Never met him , little surprised so many of you have...

Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Never met him , little surprised so many of you have...
I got ahold of him on my Ouija Board one night but he didn't feel like conversing, said he still had a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History