Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times

Advertisements

http://www.history.com/specials/retu...oanoke-search-

I made a thread in the tv section too but wanted to post here in History also. Is there anyone here who is also fascinated by this true hundreds of years old mystery? I sure hope I live long enough to see it resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Roanoke, yes, very interesting. I think that the ancient aliens came with their saucers and abducted the colonists and after thorough anal probing some of the settlers were inseminated to some native women. A pyramid appeared and the colonists lost time - 9 minutes- and yeah something and something happened and yeah.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,330,292 times
They were snuffed because they were illegal settlers.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
I never heard of this subject until last year people were theorizing that the last American Horror Story season was going to be inspired by it since it was called American Horror Story : Roanoke. I started reading about it some on and off since then and it's definitely a creepy story. I didn't know the History Channel was doing anything on it, I'm definitely going to check that out.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Well, if you were facing starvation as a small community, and the supply ships appeared to have abandoned you, and your crops failed, because you didn't really know what you were doing in a continent you weren't familiar with, but there were people in the region who seemed to be doing fine, other than some occasional skirmishes with each other, what would you do?

No-brainer.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
http://www.history.com/specials/retu...oanoke-search-

I made a thread in the tv section too but wanted to post here in History also. Is there anyone here who is also fascinated by this true hundreds of years old mystery? I sure hope I live long enough to see it resolved.
This special was out a year and a half ago back in 2015. It's not currently watchable on the History Channel not even on Comcast On Demand. I thought you were talking about something current on the History Channel. Have you actually watched it? If so..where?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5153642/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if you were facing starvation as a small community, and the supply ships appeared to have abandoned you, and your crops failed, because you didn't really know what you were doing in a continent you weren't familiar with, but there were people in the region who seemed to be doing fine, other than some occasional skirmishes with each other, what would you do?

No-brainer.
Agree, they were most likely murdered sadly.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Probably the first case in America of illegal immigrants facing the wrath of the established population.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

No-brainer.
You call 110 of the 117 settlers a "skirmish"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This special was out a year and a half ago back in 2015. It's not currently watchable on the History Channel not even on Comcast On Demand. I thought you were talking about something current on the History Channel. Have you actually watched it? If so..where?

Roanoke: Search for the Lost Colony (TV Movie 2015) - IMDb

Agree, they were most likely murdered sadly.
A 4 hour "Special Edition" was on HISTORY this past Sunday. Guess you missed the listing. Sadly, there are no videos on the HISTORY Web site, just two trailers. I'm sure the Viera bros will/are doing another season.

Wow, I didn't expect such snarky comments from a history forum. I thought there would be intelligent talk. (Not talking to those who were adult about it, even you, Ruth.)

Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't expect such snarky comments from a history forum. I thought there would be intelligent talk. (Not talking to those who were adult about it, even you, Ruth.)
I suspect that this was largely prompted by The History Channel, which has a penchant for airing programming that makes mountains of out molehills and while blaming faux-mountains on extraterrestrials. Simply put, the phrase "According to The History Channel..." doesn't carry much weight here.

Anyway, the whole mystery of Roanoke has never seemed all that mysterious to me.

Over three decades later came the Pilgrims - and in less than a year, more than half of those who had set sail from England were dead. It simply doesn't strike me as any great surprise that, three decades prior, a similarly-sized group either all died in a three-year span, or were decimated to the point that a small group picked up and left to ultimately be either subsumed into the native population without a trace or to establish another settlement where they all died and the remnants of which would be completely consumed by the wilderness in the many years it took for that particular area to again be reached by Europeans. There fate is unknown certainly but hardly inexplicable or mysterious.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You call 110 of the 117 settlers a "skirmish"?

A 4 hour "Special Edition" was on HISTORY this past Sunday. Guess you missed the listing. Sadly, there are no videos on the HISTORY Web site, just two trailers. I'm sure the Viera bros will/are doing another season.

I found nothing about it anywhere there's not even anything on it anymore on the History channel's website...they took the link down. I just find it odd. I also looked for it on Comcast On Demand which usually has everything recent on it that the History Channel puts out..found nothing. I'm going to double check again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History