Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

ON reading this piece of history , I cringe at the thought of them having anything to do with the KKK.. BBC iWonder - Were Scots responsible for the Ku Klux Klan?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Dizzy. Initiallythesouthern states were under northern occupation and martial law. A KKK was born to be a law enforcement group mostly protecting the vulnerable and isolated farm sites. Reminding folks that after the loss of life in the War, you had whole families of women and children without menfolk to work the fields and protect them.

This original group of husbands,brothers and uncles are known to have disbanded in states as they were readmitted to the US starting in 1866 when they were protected by and now Subject to civil law.

Your attachment is interesting and pointed out things I had not known or forgotten.

Such as the KKK reemerged in 1870 as Georgia enacted state law removing blacks from the legislature and was removed from the union back under martial law again. So anti black anti Union forces put on the hoods again with a new or renewed purpose.

A man who had not even been in the KKK 'appropriated' Scottish symbols and terms in 1890s

In the 1920s the KKK was shown as a saving force in 'the birth of a nation'.

My MIL from Eastern Pennsylvania remembers a burning cross in front of a Polish immigrants in the Late 1920s so it clearly had expanded and found new targets

And it resurged again in the 1950s and 1960s with our Civil Rights movement

Now I wouldn't know what is going on with it if anything

It is a shame that aspects of the Scottish culture were taken and sullied by that man to perhaps romanticize the rebirth of the KKK. But given the prevalence of Scots and Scots Irish in the American South and rural areas and the romantic connotation of a protective clan seeking justice for its own, I can see how it could have been believable

I just hope it is done and over

Old 05-13-2017, 09:55 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
theoldnorthstate is a LOT more correct than the first blurb on the BBC site:

"In the 1700s, Scots were lured to Virginia to help English settlers defend the colony. With every generation they moved further south and west, establishing cotton plantations and buying slaves. But when northern states planned to limit the expansion of slavery the southern states left the union and a civil war began.

Much of the fighting took place in the south, which was left devastated by the end of the conflict. Soldiers returned to find their homes and businesses were gone, the economy in ruins and local government all but non-existent. The once rich southerners - many of Scottish descent - had lost their way of life and most of their wealth. "

There is just barely enough truth in that to make it marginally defensible. The KKK was started about 20 miles north of me, and it was a reaction to the excesses of the north during reconstruction. Racial repression was a component, but remembering that a lot of them were ex-confederate soldiers still angry with the north and wanting order gives a better idea of their focus.

"The once rich southerners - many of Scottish descent" works in concert with this "With every generation they moved further south and west, establishing cotton plantations and buying slaves" to infer that the Scots in the south were both rich and plantation slave owners. That is a bunch of hooie. A bulk of the Scots formed the basis of the Appalachian hill culture and were abysmally poor. Those that moved into the major slave holding areas were often tenant farmers or small landowners unable to afford slaves.

Examine more deeply and you'll find the plantations a result of French and Spanish influence that carried through with the Louisiana Purchase. I'd put the Scots pretty low on the list in colluding with slavery, well below the French, Spanish, English, and Germans.

On reading that piece of "history", I cringe at the thought of the BBC having clearly lost funding for proper editors and review of what is posted.

What used to be reliable sources of information are increasingly poorly staffed by uneducated employees. I can't imagine that ever making it on the BBC even ten years ago. I cringe at "Smithsonian" having to regularly issue corrections and having slanted articles. I cringe that the National Geographic became so off-center on reporting that I was actually glad when it was bought out. I cringe that misrepresenting and misquoting history has reached the highest levels of our government. Clearly the lizards that are disguised as people are gaining more control over what we see and hear. Besides, everyone knows the KKK was founded by Colonel Saunders. How else do you explain his restaurants being KFC. (Klan For Chicken)

Old 05-13-2017, 05:11 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,957 times
KKK were Masonry, Scots practically invented Masonry.
That's about it.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
ON reading this piece of history , I cringe at the thought of them having anything to do with the KKK.. BBC iWonder - Were Scots responsible for the Ku Klux Klan?
Idiotic BBC, about as trustworthy as CNN, aka; "untrue but plausible" and PBS.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:17 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
KKK were Masonry, Scots practically invented Masonry.
That's about it.
That's totally incorrect. Modern day Freemasonry was organized in London in 1717. Masonry existed in every state long before the KKK came along.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:26 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,957 times
Wiki...

It has been argued that regulated Freemasonry in Scotland is older than in any other part of the British Isles. The connection between the craft of stonemasonry and modern Freemasonry can be readily established in Scotland.[2] This direct connection can be traced from the oldest Masonic written records in the world and which are the property of the Grand Lodge of Scotland in Edinburgh.[3

I said that the KKK just imitated MASONRY, or maybe they considred themselves masons.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The KKK was the DNC's terrorist arm. It did the lynching to keep Republicans out, and blacks in their place. Today there is great interest by the DNC in eliminating reminders of their racist history, trying to expunge historic monuments regarding the civil war in the South. At no times does our media mention Democrats and the Civil War, or that Democrats were the only party in active insurrection, and pro slavery. This is a historic secret we must rid ourselves of so future generations will not understand where Democrats come from.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
The KKK was the DNC's terrorist arm. It did the lynching to keep Republicans out, and blacks in their place. Today there is great interest by the DNC in eliminating reminders of their racist history, trying to expunge historic monuments regarding the civil war in the South. At no times does our media mention Democrats and the Civil War, or that Democrats were the only party in active insurrection, and pro slavery. This is a historic secret we must rid ourselves of so future generations will not understand where Democrats come from.

No other comment. Just

Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The KKK's historically active territory happens to coincide with the heaviest settlement of Scottish and Ulster Scots in America.

Just a sad fact of history. For what it is worth, the racism of the KKK is not conflated with Scottish heritage, or really, Scottish-anything in the American worldview. The reputation of Scots is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History