Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Spain controlled all the Pacific, including outposts in Alaska.

Also the Carolinas - Carolus I - Spanish king.

Louisiana, which was one third of continental US, changed hands several times, as Florida, that was Spanish, British, Spanish and later invaded in the war of 1812 when Spain sided with England against Americans.

In fact, Spain did not occupy the entire south because hurricanes, that sank a fleet in Pensacola, and then another hurricane. Not worth, no gold.
The Carolinas were named for King Charles I of England, certainly no Spanish king. Both North and South Carolina were British colonies, and Spanish influence was minimal in both. '

The French did have some impact, mostly as trappers and traders in the mountainous western portions of each Carolina, and as Huguenot refugees in Charleston and elsewhere, but this influence was of the people, not the French government of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The Carolinas were named for King Charles I of England, certainly no Spanish king. Both North and South Carolina were British colonies, and Spanish influence was minimal in both. '
Hey, but here in Santa Fe we have a major road called Camino Carlos Rey . :-) 'Murica!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:38 AM

345 posts, read 269,119 times
Ahh, but Charles I was more Spanish than English.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Regarding Carolina

Charles II of England granted lands to the Lords Proprietors in repayment for their assistance in his Restoration to the throne. I do not know if Charles I promised the land to the Lords as they supported him during the Civil War. Charles II did make good on much his father promised that he could, and at that time who cared what he gave away in the untamed New World so it is possible Charles I was involved.

They called the lands in the new world "Carolina" after their benefactor, Charles. It was a business venture to them, not a royal colony. Later the Lords split Carolina into North and South Carolina mostly due to economic issues between the two areas resulting in different needs. NC was mainly tobacco and naval supplies (pitch and tar) and SC cotton and rice. As the economics played out, heirs returned the Carolinas to the King and it became a royal colony.

So the Carolinas had little if any Spanish connection, the Pirates who harbored there were even English (e.g. Blackbeard) harassing the Spanish as they carried gold etc to Spain. So no Spanish influence to speak of.

As posted earlier There was the Spanish conquistador Juan Pardo who led his soldiers across the Appalachians through what became the Carolinas on his way to the Mississippi River where he and most of his men were killed by Indians. But that is it in the Carolinas and the Cherokee Indians made every effort to kill the Spanish and burn down everything the Spanish did

Your Spanish influence was not the Carolinas, although Florida, Louisiana,and along the Gulf Shores were inhabited by Spanish. Therefore Georgia was colonized by the English as a buffer state from the Spanish.

So Spain never had the south, Southwest maybe. The Carolinas were named for the English Stuart king not the Spanish.

And Isabella of Castille is my hero but she did not seek to control, colonize, or own the American South so it wasn't Spain's to lose.

A Papal Bull from the Pope meant nothing to the Protestant English and apparently the French.

And Ferdinand of Aragon was a dastardly dude.��

Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
There is a fantastic book about the colonies of East and West Florida during the American Revolution: Kathleen Duval, Independence Lost: Lives on the Edge of the American Revolution.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 AM

His famous car.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:26 AM

How could you say that Juan Pardo, also a famous singer, did not go throught the Appalachians when he founded a fort at Catwba...

Do you know whar Catwba is and Catwba Falls? The beginning of the AT.

Aniways, I don't think they will speak English for long.

Juan Pardo and his conquistador son, fierablas.
A conquistador of Jewish origin.

Last edited by papuolo; 06-26-2017 at 04:42 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 08:26 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Papuolo, your trolling has been...somewhat entertaining...

Posting a picture of a 20th Century Chrysler car and of a 20th Century Spanish songwriter certainly makes your point...or at least illustrates your purposes.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
How could you say that Juan Pardo, also a famous singer, did not go throught the Appalachians when he founded a fort at Catwba...

Do you know whar Catwba is and Catwba Falls? The beginning of the AT.

Aniways, I don't think they will speak English for long.

Juan Pardo and his conquistador son, fierablas.
A conquistador of Jewish origin.
Entertaining but I do speak English and I said 'across' the Appalachians. Therefore he went in and through.

I was born at Catawba Falls and know all about the fort. And the AT for that matter which does not start or end at Catawba Falls.

'Nuff trolling. I am done with this silliness

Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 PM

One important entry point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History