Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,145 times

Advertisements

That is a good question. Will we ever get to the bottom of it? To me there aren't enough facts to make any actual sense of this matter which seems to be thousands of years old. But I did learn of a fantastical tale when I was just getting out of high school. (There's no supporting evidence whatsoever.) A book claimed that way way back there used to be twelve groups of people who were running the affairs of the world. They were like councils. All were elected members, all were equal, every part of the earth was represented. Eventually a really huge problem - like a potential ELE - came up out of nowhere. The councils met again and again to try to engineer a solution or some kind of action plan. After a lot of discussion ten groups agreed on how to approach the problem and voted that way. Two groups kept refusing to go along. The clock was ticking. Finally the ten groups implemented the solution though it was far from perfect. It stopped the threat. Soon after that the ten groups took away the rights of the two dissenting groups, kicked them out of the overall governing body, and forbid them from ever settling anywhere. In other words there weren't ten lost tribes but only two. This story appealed a lot to my teenage sense of drama and empathy so that's probably why I've never forgotten it.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:25 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I think the Nazi's blamed the Jews for inventing Communism, which had recently resulted in the starvation death of an estimated 7 to 10 million Ukrainians
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor ).

(Karl Marx and Leon Trotsky were both Jews, at least racially, if not belief). Anarchists such as Emma Goldman. The Nazi's i think also associated Jews with modern abstract art, and modern music, which they thought were ugly and decadent.

I was shocked at how the recent biopic film a couple of years ago, about the young Walt Disney (starring Tom Hanks) was so anti-semitic in the final scenes, in its portrayals of the greedy Hollywood producers of his cartoons.
Many of the Hollywood studios were founded by Jewish immigrants from eastern Europe. When the very first theaters, nickelodeons, appeared, these guys were visionary entrepreneurs who figured out that this new entertainment would be huge.

Their studios, etc are still functioning in some form today. Marcus Lowe( theater chains), Adolph Zukor(Paramount), William Fox(20th Century Fox), Carl Laemmle(Universal), Louis B Mayer(MGM), the Warner Bros., and Samuel Goldwyn. Disney created his own studio. He was his own mogul but, yes, he was an anti-semite. So was Henry Ford.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
As someone who lives in a neighborhood that is predominantly Jewish, the hundreds, maybe even low thousands, that I've seen really do look and sound like a bunch Harvey Weinsteins and Woody Allens, even the children. They either look fat and pasty or, premature-ly old and pasty and, they really do talk about money all the time... and drive with no sense of situational awareness...

Man... my post is horrible but, this really is what I've seen.

None of that should mean anything, but it IS what I've seen. The cultural aspect that really does get on my nerves is that they want so little to do with other people that they refuse help they very obviously need, like when their car is stuck in the snow or, the box is too big and heavy. They don't hold open doors, or say thank you when doors are held for them. Muslims around here might disagree on the big picture stuff but, from what I've seen their day to day manners are much better.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I think the Nazi's blamed the Jews for inventing Communism, which had recently resulted in the starvation death of an estimated 7 to 10 million Ukrainians
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor ).

(Karl Marx and Leon Trotsky were both Jews, at least racially, if not belief). Anarchists such as Emma Goldman. The Nazi's i think also associated Jews with modern abstract art, and modern music, which they thought were ugly and decadent.
Some early 20th century artists Nazis might have objected to, like Klimt or Picasso, weren't Jews at all. But, yes, Arnold Schoenberg, Berg and Webern, with their ear-bending(still to lots of people) atonality were Jews.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
As someone who lives in a neighborhood that is predominantly Jewish, the hundreds, maybe even low thousands, that I've seen really do look and sound like a bunch Harvey Weinsteins and Woody Allens, even the children. They either look fat and pasty or, premature-ly old and pasty and, they really do talk about money all the time... and drive with no sense of situational awareness...

Man... my post is horrible but, this really is what I've seen.

None of that should mean anything, but it IS what I've seen. The cultural aspect that really does get on my nerves is that they want so little to do with other people that they refuse help they very obviously need, like when their car is stuck in the snow or, the box is too big and heavy. They don't hold open doors, or say thank you when doors are held for them. Muslims around here might disagree on the big picture stuff but, from what I've seen their day to day manners are much better.

Since you decided to single out two people who are newsworthy for reasons right now that most of us know about why not balance it with a couple of others who are and were nothing like those two that you mentioned: Sandy Koufax and Hank Greenberg.

I, like you, have been around Jews my whole life but my conclusions about them are very different than yours.

On the other hand, and though not wanting to derail the thread, I have had it with Jehovah Witness people who are now using the USPS to proselytize by sending stuff to random people. It makes me want to hurl and start another thread about how bothersome that bunch appears to be.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:07 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think one reason is a perception that Jews think they are superior. After all, they claim to have been "Chosen" by God. To many people, particularly other monotheists, this sounds very arrogant. It's similar to a sibling claiming to be Daddy's favorite. The reaction is to want to take someone like that down a peg.

That was indeed always my own perception, though I don't recall being explicitly taught this. I assumed that Jews keep themselves separate and apart from the rest of us because they consider themselves above and better than everyone else.

Now, I could care less what colour or religion someone is, treat me and mine okay, and you’ll be fine with me, the jury’s still out with Muslims though, I won’t go near a Muslim country these days, whereas years ago I’ve had vacations in Morocco, Turkey, and Dubai.
A long while back this wasn’t the case with Jews though.
When I was around 14, there was a girl at my school to whom I took a shine, she was maybe 13, I can’t remember exactly.
We would hold hands, and kiss when no one was looking, all the puppy love kid stuff, but that was it, end of story.
I have no doubt that when enough time had passed, and if I’d got the opportunity, I’d have been all over her like a cheap suit, but I never laid a glove on her.
One night I walked her home from the movies, went into her house, and said hi to her folks, chatted for a while, kissed her goodnight, and walked home.
Next day at school, she told me that we couldn’t see each other any more, naturally I asked why, had I done something wrong?
She said that her father had forbidden her to see me any more, as I wasn’t Jewish, I think that this was the first time that I really became aware that her family was Jewish.
This was also probably the first time in my young life that I had encountered prejudice, and I really didn’t like it.
I harboured a deep resentment and dislike of Jews from then, right up until my late twenties, early thirties.
Then, one day in New York City, an American friend introduced me to a woman, Esther Shapiro.
Within a few days she had shown me that I was so, so, wrong about Jewish people, she totally rocked my world, and the scales of distrust and dislike were peeled from my eyes.
She still sends me birthday cards, and I send her Hanukkah cards, long may it last.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Not sure that I agree. Nearly the whole population of Pakistan and Afghanistan will tell you they hate Jews, although they have never met a single Jew in their life. Their religious imams tell them that Moslems have oppressed the Palestinians (several thousand miles away).

Millions of American rural and small-town rednecks are highly suspicious of Moslems, although they have never, or barely, met a Moslem. While the diverse metropolis of London recently elected (or appointed?) a Pakistani-born Moslem as their Mayor without incident.
I dunno. I work for a Paki family, and one of the man's closest friends is a Jew I once worked with. As a matter of fact, we all went to lunch not long ago, and it seemed like the beginning of a joke: a Jew, a Christian, and two Muslims went to lunch...

The funny part was that we ate at one of NYC's most famous steakhouses, but we all got fish because the meat was neither halal nor kosher and fish is the only meat I eat.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:29 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Interestingly, here in the Bible belt, and home of Bob Jones University, many Christians I meet love the Jewish people and are very interested in learning more about Judaism. Jewish themed events and festivals, such as Shalomfest in April, draw a large crowd of mostly non- Jewish people.
Yeah particularly WASPs believe Jews are God's chosen people and are more pro-Jewish, pro-Israel, even pro-Zionism than anyone even some Jews are.

The problem is it's not reciprocated much. WASPs advocate for a white Jewish ethno-religion state, but Jews advocate for mass, global immigration, diversity, anti-Christian and anti-conservatism. That, backstabbing your friend, is the American viewpoint for Jewish dislike,

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Jews have a good bull**** filter. They see through people in power running "agendas". You therefore, in power, have to get rid of them. They see you for what you really are.

Meanwhile, the rest of the madding crowd watch things happening, and/or wonder WTF happened.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Perhaps we are saying the same thing. In my defense, the flu is currently kicking my tuckus. My reading comprehension may be a bit off right now due to the plethora of medications in my system.
On a thread about Judaism, I feel compelled to correct this. The proper Yiddish spelling is 'tuchus'.

As far as an answer to the OP, I'll quote Shakespeare - The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves. The reason Jews (as a whole, not individual Jewish people who may have earned their enmity) are hated has to be revealed by the people doing the hating. Even on this thread in 2018, you can see evidence of people's prejudices and stereotypes. The differences between these attitudes and the ones that have led to genocide may be more a matter of degree rather than essence. People excuse themselves for marginalizing Jewish people for all the same reasons other groups are marginalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History