Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Adams had a mini series on HBO devoted to his life back in 2008. It won four Golden Globes and 13 Emmys, making it the most decorated mini series of all time.

Did you miss it?

Before that there was the 1976 PBS "Adams Chronicles" which tracked the family over the course of 150 years. It also won a pile of Emmys.

John Adams (played by William Daniels) was the lead character in the Broadway musical "1776" which was adapted into a movie as well.

The US Navy has had three vessels named for John Adams, there is one national park bearing his name, two mountains, eight counties...and statues? I Googled John Adams statues and there are more than I felt like trying to count:
https://www.google.com/search?as_st=...pe=&as_rights=

Also the book John Adams, by David McCullough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Adams was also a blow hard who liked to take credit for things he didn't do (re: The Declaration of Independence and The US Constitution), but I admire him nonetheless for his staunch support of independence prior to the Revolution, his intellect, and his ardent distaste for "factions" (political parties, today). He also allowed his wife to own and manage her own property and speculate in war bonds, which women were not allowed to do in those days.
I've never seen where Adams claimed credit for either the Declaration or Constitution. What I've read is that he asked Jefferson to write the Declaration because he thought Jefferson was a better writer. So he could claim indirect credit. He was also intimately involved in the debate on July 1, 1776. Again after the Declaration was finalized, Jefferson called Adams 'the colossus of independence.'

Adams was the primary author of the Massachusetts Constitution, which happens to be the oldest functioning constitution on earth.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
The committee had five members, you are omitting Robert R. Livingston of New York, and Roger Sherman of Connecticut.
To quote a great statesman of our times: Oops!

Serves me right for using a movie musical as a history resource....

I feel especially ashamed for not including Roger Sherman, as he holds a special significance for me (and others, perhaps), being the only Founding Father to sign all four of the state papers of the United States.

If only Sherman Edwards had given Sherman's character a song or two in the Broadway musical...

Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
To quote a great statesman of our times: Oops!

Serves me right for using a movie musical as a history resource....

I feel especially ashamed for not including Roger Sherman, as he holds a special significance for me (and others, perhaps), being the only Founding Father to sign all four of the state papers of the United States.

If only Sherman Edwards had given Sherman's character a song or two in the Broadway musical...
Ah, but the musical did supply all of the information in the song "But Mr. Adams" which features the five committee members singing about which one of them will do the actual writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQ-HyMHCbc

Old 02-26-2018, 12:04 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Ah, but the musical did supply all of the information in the song "But Mr. Adams" which features the five committee members singing about which one of them will do the actual writing.
I can only bow to your vastly superior knowledge of both history and musicals.

Now where's the "I'm not worthy emoji"?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I can only bow to your vastly superior knowledge of both history and musicals.

Now where's the "I'm not worthy emoji"?

Don't worry, I'm not worthy of an "I'm not worthy" emoji.

worthy....worry...lot of worth sounds here...."Willie wondered why Wyatt was worth worry."

Old 02-26-2018, 01:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times
From last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52Z...9&index=3&t=0s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History