Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So far, I've found eight of them: Stanley SD, Jones SD, Morton ND. Sioux ND, Cherry NE, Culberson TX, Malheur OR, Idaho ID.

---------

Miike, I don't think those Mississippi River analogies work for enclaves. All the state lines remained in exactly the same place. All that happened was that the river changed course, so it now flows through some states, instead of around them. n some cases it is now necessary to go across another state to get there, but only becuse the new course of the river blocked a former access to them.

There is one of these in the east that actually has a state line relevance. Finns Point, Delaware, is on the New Jersey side of the Delaware lRiver, (its about 10 miles south of the I-295 bridge). At this point, one can walk from NJ into DE (I've done it), so Delaware unambiguously borders on New Jersey. All of the land is public, most of it a National Wilelife Refuge, so I don't think there are any Delaware residents there. If somebody developed a shopping mall there, there would be no sales tax, since it would be Delaware.
Excellent work on the additional time zone info. Though I did some research, and it seems McKenzie and Dunn Counties in ND are divided, not Morton and Sioux:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:25 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I know of two counties along the Eastern/Central Time zone that are divided. They both contain communities that straddle a state border and the side on the Central Time divide have opted to be in EST so that time schedules are equal in the community as a whole. However the remainder of the counties these two communities are in remain in CST with the rest of the state.

Anybody know these two? Could be more, just the two I know.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Excellent work on the additional time zone info. Though I did some research, and it seems McKenzie and Dunn Counties in ND are divided, not Morton and Sioux:

Thanks---that's two more. Morton (Mandan) and Sioux (Fort Yates) are also split, to separate out towns to match the other side of the river.

According to Wikipedia, Gulf County, Florida, is . . .

". . . the only county in the Eastern United States to be under two time zones, Eastern and Central, by way of the Intracoastal Waterway."

Old 10-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks---that's two more. Morton (Mandan) and Sioux (Fort Yates) are also split, to separate out towns to match the other side of the river.

According to Wikipedia, Gulf County, Florida, is . . .

". . . the only county in the Eastern United States to be under two time zones, Eastern and Central, by way of the Intracoastal Waterway."
Shows that wikipedia is not always consitent with itself. I went to Wikipedia to confirm that the communities I mentioned above that should be in CST are actually in EST.

And the two communities I am thinking of are not Gulf County, FL, even though you get a rep

My location statement gives a hint.

Anybody know these?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 AM

I've looked in Wikipedia and cant find them. I remember hearing about them a few years ago, but can't recall now. I give up.

-------------

New question:

The two places in the world that get the least and the most continental rainfall are both in the same country. What country is that? (I say "continental" to exclude islands with unusual oceanic dynamics.)

Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,016 times
Quote:
I've looked in Wikipedia and cant find them. I remember hearing about them a few years ago, but can't recall now. I give up.

-------------

New question:

The two places in the world that get the least and the most continental rainfall are both in the same country. What country is that? (I say "continental" to exclude islands with unusual oceanic dynamics.)
Although it has neither the driest or the wettest areas, I would guess that Australia has the combination of the two extremes.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:

-------------

New question:

The two places are in Alabama, Phenix City which is across the Chattahoochee River from Columbus, GA operates on Eastern Time and just upriver the cotton mill towns of Lanett and Vallery AL are on Eastern time so the mills could all be in sync with the head offices across the state line in West Point, GA. This is the company that has been known as West Point Pepperell and West Point Stevens. Otherwise the Alabama/Gerogia border is contiguous with the Easter/Central Time zone divide.

To make a wild stab at your question, I will guess Chile. I have a second guess, but will see if that one is correct first

Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM

144 posts, read 460,970 times
I'll say India. Monsoon season and a desert. Just a guess mind you.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM

Yes, the answer is CHILE. Parts of he Atacama desert in the north have never received a single drop of rain in recorded meteorological history. Along the south coast of Chile, there is more annual rain than any other continental location in the world.

It is a bizarre expernence to walk in a desert where it has never rained, since the earth underfoot feels quite different, having never (at least for centuries) received any moisture to compact material that has otherwise been moved only by wind.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, the answer is CHILE. Parts of he Atacama desert in the north have never received a single drop of rain in recorded meteorological history. Along the south coast of Chile, there is more annual rain than any other continental location in the world.

It is a bizarre expernence to walk in a desert where it has never rained, since the earth underfoot feels quite different, having never (at least for centuries) received any moisture to compact material that has otherwise been moved only by wind.

Hooray, I knew the desert (Ataconda or something like that? Could look it up and not look ignorant) was the driest place and new the southern tip of SA is rain forest.

Give me a few minutes to think up a question as I guess this makes it my turn again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History