Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:03 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

I know this is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I would like to have liked to have been in the Ramsey house just prior to JonBenet's body being put in the closet -- not to witness the murder itself, but just to know absolutely for sure who was involved. (I don't know why, but unsolved famous murders hold a fascination for me. For that reason, ditto for thing for following Lee Harvey Oswald's movements on November 22, 1963 up to the time JFK was shot, and being at the scene of the Jack the Ripper murders just prior to the deaths of his victims. Again, for me, it is not the gore and violence that fascinates, but the the possibility of solving a mystery.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 84,102 times
The day John Lennon was murdered

Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Sermon on the mount.

Possibly the birth of Christ.

The battle of Lyndanisse

"I have a dream" speech

A lot of just average days of average people at different times.

I really have no interest in seeing a lot of people (or anyone) bleeding and dying. So battles are not on my list (except one - where did that flag really come from?). Most of the big events in history are horrific. I do not really want to view awfulness.

I have long believed we will eventually be able to witness everything that has happened. I am told the all light that hit the earth had reflected off and is still travelling out through space, although it is widely scattered (dissipated) and may not longer be even visible. I think some day, we will be able to capture those dissipated reflections re-condense them and view a picture of any time in history.

No in my lifetime but my belief this will one day be possible makes me happy. Now some science types will come here and say why it is impossible. However I will simply remember that science types once asserted it was impossible to people to travel at more than 50 MPH because they would suffocate. Also that is was impossible to find longitude when navigating (turned out they were just looking for it in the wrong way). So you can science away my dream if you wish, but I will continue to believe it will happen eventually. Only one thing is certain about science - we do not know how much we do not know.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Wounded Knee or the Trail of Tears.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I know this is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I would like to have liked to have been in the Ramsey house just prior to JonBenet's body being put in the closet -- not to witness the murder itself, but just to know absolutely for sure who was involved. (I don't know why, but unsolved famous murders hold a fascination for me. For that reason, ditto for thing for following Lee Harvey Oswald's movements on November 22, 1963 up to the time JFK was shot, and being at the scene of the Jack the Ripper murders just prior to the deaths of his victims. Again, for me, it is not the gore and violence that fascinates, but the the possibility of solving a mystery.)
Absolutely, me too.

As I understand it, the Ramsey murder has been solved, although up until the last year or so I didn't believe it, and Jack the Ripper has been solved within the past year.

I too skip the gore and violence, and just go for the mystery.

I would give real money to know what happened to Jacob Jolkowski and Maura Murray.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
The resurrection of Jesus Christ. As a Christian, I believe it to be historical fact. But I sure would love to see it first-hand.

The Battle of Midway. I would shadow Admiral Nagumo and witness his actions and inactions and how they influenced the course of events that day. And it would be fascinating to witness the realization dawning on him, as surely it must have, that they had just lost the war in a single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd like to be at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. I've always been fascinated with it.
Likewise. I'd be the fly buzzing around near Admiral Kurita so I could experience just what it was that led him to retreat when his forces were in the cusp of an overwhelming victory.

A related thought exercise would be to choose a historical event in which, armed with your knowledge of the event, you could participate in it and be affected by it, but you would be powerless to influence or alter it in any way. So for example, I could go on the Titanic and experience the sinking, and risk going down with the ship; but I could put to good use my knowledge of the fact that men were allowed into the earlier boats launched from the starboard side. Or if I were at Midway, I could station myself on the light cruiser Nagara and so not risk getting killed when the flagship Akagi was bombed, but still be on hand to see how Admiral Nagumo acted after he transferred to that ship.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Pickett`s charge.
You sure? Ted Turner's 1993 movie established conclusively that it was actually a very boring, overly ceremonial event.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Woodstock, would like to see the look at the confused cowboys who thought they were going to a square dance.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
I want to go WAAAAAAY back. Assuming I were an immortal and invulnerable mass of energy capable of observing, I would love to see the planet Earth from it's infancy all the way up to the modern day. I want to see everything that has ever happened on or to this planet. I want to see how life began, I want to see the Appalachian mountains at their peak, I want to see the first humans.

But if I were to pick only one event, it'd be the formation of our modern continents.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Oh, there are so many great possibilities!

Witnessing the resurrection of Christ

Watching Neil take one one giant leap for mankind

Being on that roof in St. Paul when a certain plucky raccoon finally made it to the top

Hard to say just which of those three would be the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History