Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

If you could go back in time and witness any moment in history firsthand what would it be? It could be a good or bad moment in history in any century.

A few things I would want to witness firsthand:
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Apollo 11 moon landing

Dissolution of the Soviet Union
Invasion of Normandy

The historical importance of each moment would've been very amazing to see in person. What historical moment in history would you have liked to witness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:40 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Too many to list, but if I could be a fly on the wall I wouldn't mind being at these places.

Pete Maxwell's house Fort Sumner July 14, 1881

The Brink's building Boston January 17, 1950

Ford's Theatre April 14, 1865

Inside the Boeing 727 on Flight 305 November 24, 1971

Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Are we assuming some completely safe means of observing the past without being subject to interaction? I mean, I might want to go back and witness the Battle of Cannae, but not if it meant getting crushed along with the Roman legionnaires.

Anyway...from my protected bubble...I would first want to check out the life of Jesus, find out once and for all what that was really all about. (May I take a guest back with me? I'd like to bring Penn Jillette along to expose any magic tricks that have come down to us as miracles)

Then I would want to check out the fall of the Alamo and Custer's last stand, two battles where no one was left alive to tell their side of the affair.

Then if I had any turns left, I'd go back to yesterday and warn myself not to eat that burrito so close to bedtime.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Dan 'DB' Cooper skyjack.. I like it.

I think I'd like to witness Civil War event(s). Maybe Lee's surrender @ Appomattox. Lincoln assassination..

Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Are we assuming some completely safe means of observing the past without being subject to interaction? I mean, I might want to go back and witness the Battle of Cannae, but not if it meant getting crushed along with the Roman legionnaires.
e.
True, we’re summing you’re just a fly on the wall or in an observation bubble.

Giving it some thought, I’d like to be a fly on the wall during Hitler’s downfall and all the secret meetings he had during it as well as the Japanese Empire debating surrender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Too many to list, but if I could be a fly on the wall I wouldn't mind being at these places.

Pete Maxwell's house Fort Sumner July 14, 1881

The Brink's building Boston January 17, 1950

Ford's Theatre April 14, 1865

Those are some good ones

Old 06-07-2018, 10:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Woodstock
The day after ww2 when the axis surrendered and the sailors came home
Appomattox court house
Wounded knee
Alamo/ Santa Anna’s defeat

The resurrection

Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
The assassination of JFK. Knowing it's going to happen, and observe coolly just where the shots are coming from.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Quote:
Woodstock

You didn't miss much. I was there. After walking for 5 miles, that was as close as we could get and park the car after a drive from Texas. Then to see the incredible stench of overflowing chem toilets, not much water available, pure trash everywhere, mud, stoned morons falling all over everything and everybody. We left after a few hours. It was more than any civilized human could take and not puke yer guts out. For me, it was a 100% waste of gas. The planning was horrible as trucks with groceries and water couldn't get in and the chem toilet guys couldn't get in to clean out the overflow. So then the stone heads started doing their business just any place. The movie Woodstock is such a lie. It's too bad TV doesn't have smell-a-vision.

I'd like to be at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. I've always been fascinated with it. You can add Pearl Harbor to the short list too.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
I'd drop in on the Constitutional Convention with a few suggestions.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Just some in US History...as a mute fly on the wall:

LaSalle, DeSoto, and Coronado Expeditions -- maybe Lewis and Clark as well
Declaration of Independence debates and response
US Constitutional debates and discussions
War of 1812 -- at the burning of Washington (and to be generally aware of citizens' sentiment on the war).
Transcontinental Railroad completion (always looked like a good party) (maybe a participant in the party?)
Gettysburg Address and Lincolns 2nd Inauguration address
Indian Removal - Trail of Tears and the issues leading up to it
End of WW-II celebrations
Yeah -- maybe Woodstock, too
A few family history events just to figure things out.

There are a few "eyewitness to history" books based on diaries or letters that are very interesting and offer perspectives we don't always see in history books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History