Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times

Advertisements

I watched the first two episodes this afternoon and was thoroughly entertained.

I am curious about what other folks may think of the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 03:59 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Hmm... I don't subscribe to HBO but Rush Limbaugh was going on and on about it today on his show. Must be some program. Is there any other way to watch it? Do you think it will available on dvd later?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Same here, no HBO... but I bet it will show up on DVD or A&E eventually

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

216 posts, read 698,423 times
have not been able to see the series, no hbo. i read the book a couple of years ago. what a FANTASTIC read. don't miss it

Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 PM

46 posts, read 104,331 times
Fascinating. No doubt about it. I love history.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
When HBO does a mini series, they often do good things. I have seen two episodes of this program and it's well done and seems to be historically accurate. John Adams was one of the key players in the early history of the USA, and this series (as well as the book of the same title) tells us a lot more about this person who was passed over by most history books or classes.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We are hooked on it. It's like moisture in the desert.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:08 AM

I totally agree with the positive assessments! I've watched the first two episodes three times each. I actually do have a life, but I shared the series with folks who were here visiting.

Does anyone know why Caesar Rodney was portrayed as such a different sort of physical presence? He's not been forgotten in Delaware.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:22 AM

I think I found the answer to my question about Rodney....

John Adams described Rodney, suffering from asthma as well as skin cancer of the face, as "the oddest looking man in the world; he is tall, thin and slender as a reed, and pale; his face is not bigger than a large apple, yet there is sense and fire, spirit, wit and humor in this countenance." The cancer on his face was a source of great discomfort for many years and was so disfiguring that he often wore a green silk scarf to conceal it. Goodrich summed up his character as "a man of great integrity, and of pure patriotic feeling. He delighted, when necessary, to sacrifice his private interests for the public good. He was remarkably distinguished for a degree of good humor and vivacity; and in generosity of character was an ornament to human nature."

Since this assessment was made by Adams, it seems they used it in the series.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:56 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I think I found the answer to my question about Rodney....

John Adams described Rodney, suffering from asthma as well as skin cancer of the face, as "the oddest looking man in the world; he is tall, thin and slender as a reed, and pale; his face is not bigger than a large apple, yet there is sense and fire, spirit, wit and humor in this countenance." The cancer on his face was a source of great discomfort for many years and was so disfiguring that he often wore a green silk scarf to conceal it. Goodrich summed up his character as "a man of great integrity, and of pure patriotic feeling. He delighted, when necessary, to sacrifice his private interests for the public good. He was remarkably distinguished for a degree of good humor and vivacity; and in generosity of character was an ornament to human nature."

Since this assessment was made by Adams, it seems they used it in the series.
I always think of how grateful I am for modern medicine when I see how people lived with such terrible physical burdens in those days that could have been easily cured today.
Imagine the bravery of Abigail in being by herself and deciding to get the children smallpox vaccinations, despite the fact they could have died from it.
If you've ever had a toothache for the few hours it took you to get to the dentist, imagine living with a sore mouth every day of your adult life.
For those of us whose ancesters managed to survive....aren't we lucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History