Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:15 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times

Advertisements

I would submit that if judged sum-total, as a complete human being, with all faults, admirable qualities, and accomplishments taken into consideration, Albert Einstein's life was worth at least ten (and maybe a hundred, who knows) of any of his modern detractors' lives, diaries be damned. I hold myself to the same standards - regrettably, I did absolutely nothing in my lifetime that history will credit or remember me for once any that knew me are dead and buried. Not so for Einstein. And please forego the snarky, "Same as Hitler" comments - I'm talking positive accomplishments, not negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Einstein is one of my most favorite people who have ever lived.
Quote:
It is harder to crack prejudice than an atom. Albert Einstein
Whatever he said in youth should be countered by the fact that he continued to evolve over time & never succumbed to a closed mind.
Quote:
Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born. Albert Einstein

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM

8,487 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I don’t think there’s a single notable person in history who didn’t have some flaw or personal weakness but nonetheless contributed something of value to humanity. Such is the nature of the people of the world.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I don’t think there’s a single notable person in history who didn’t have some flaw or personal weakness but nonetheless contributed something of value to humanity. Such is the nature of the people of the world.
Yeah, but Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were old white men slaveholders (snark off).

Old 11-21-2018, 02:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I was reading some old elementary school history books from Sweden dated 1866. I found them in my grandparents old house when they passed away. They described "Africans in a very "interesting way".
However, did they know any better? No they didn't. Times were just different.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
The only reason most of us are not "racist" is because we know better and we were raised in different times.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The only reason most of us are not "racist" is because we know better and we were raised in different times.
Or it could be that we "evolve" as we age, primarily through interactions with people of different races. My own experiences working with African Americans have been positive, there are two or three black guys I've worked with and grew close to that I would go to the mat for, and vise-versa. I've also worked with a few AA's that I'm sure NASA isn't out scouring the desert for, but my experiences have been very positive overall. Pretty much the same as other races, including my own. I try to be a better person each day, some days it isn't easy.

That doesn't mean I'm a Pollyanna who will ignore common sense and go walking around 79th and Ashland at night, I ain't quite that enlightened. Forty years ago, I worked every neighborhood in Chicago except the public housing high-rises installing and refinishing flooring (I did work in some of the low-rises). I met some very nice people, and also saw some stuff that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. But I wouldn't do that again today, too many young free-lancers out there with guns. JMHO.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
The "free - lancers out there with guns " are a short term fear that leaves with them. I fear the black clad crowd , wearing ski masks , standing in the intersection directing traffic .

Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
The "free - lancers out there with guns " are a short term fear that leaves with them. I fear the black clad crowd , wearing ski masks , standing in the intersection directing traffic .
Yep, we certainly do have different world views, and it's a shame that you have cause to feel fear from the very people we pay to protect us - likewise it's a shame that I have cause to feel fear from young people who live in my community. Maybe one day we can progress past all that. Stay safe and have a great Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:05 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Yep, we certainly do have different world views, and it's a shame that you have cause to feel fear from the very people we pay to protect us - likewise it's a shame that I have cause to feel fear from young people who live in my community. Maybe one day we can progress past all that. Stay safe and have a great Thanksgiving.
Im speaking of ANTIFA...be safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History