Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander View Post
you're right. I mean how many people remember the 1976 attack by dino de laurentiis?
I wasn't working there yet.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM

A bit off-topic, because this thread is about the FIRST WTC attack, but it came to mind when I watched a movie the other day.

Who remembers how TV and movies were scrubbed right after 9/11 to remove any images of the twin towers?

I'd forgotten about this except that I watched a movie a few weeks ago called Serendipity. It's a romantic comedy with a release date of October 5, 2001. Most of the movie takes place in New York City, but there is NOT ONE picture of the World Trade Center in any scene, which is odd because shots of the skyline almost always appear in movies taking place in the city.

The absence of the WTC made me recall that removing images of the buildings was a thing right afterward. I wonder if there is footage in movies like that which was removed and maybe could be put back in at this point.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A bit off-topic, because this thread is about the FIRST WTC attack, but it came to mind when I watched a movie the other day.

Who remembers how TV and movies were scrubbed right after 9/11 to remove any images of the twin towers?

I'd forgotten about this except that I watched a movie a few weeks ago called Serendipity. It's a romantic comedy with a release date of October 5, 2001. Most of the movie takes place in New York City, but there is NOT ONE picture of the World Trade Center in any scene, which is odd because shots of the skyline almost always appear in movies taking place in the city.

The absence of the WTC made me recall that removing images of the buildings was a thing right afterward. I wonder if there is footage in movies like that which was removed and maybe could be put back in at this point.
I'm pretty sure they took the shot of the WTC out of The Sopranos intro after 2001, if I remember right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm pretty sure they took the shot of the WTC out of The Sopranos intro after 2001, if I remember right.
Probably. I only ever saw one episode of the show in a rerun years after it was off the air (and I live in New Jersey!)

Old 12-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Probably. I only ever saw one episode of the show in a rerun years after it was off the air (and I live in New Jersey!)
I love watching the intro and being able to recognize every inch of the Turnpike they feature in the opening credits. I've spent way too many hours driving up and down that road, lol.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I love watching the intro and being able to recognize every inch of the Turnpike they feature in the opening credits. I've spent way too many hours driving up and down that road, lol.
Ha, so have I. Maybe that's why I didn't watch the show.

Actually, during those years, I didn't have much time for TV-watching. I wouldn't mind binge-watching The Sopranos now in retirement.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Ha, so have I. Maybe that's why I didn't watch the show.

Actually, during those years, I didn't have much time for TV-watching. I wouldn't mind binge-watching The Sopranos now in retirement.
You definitely should, especially if you have strong ties to the NY/NJ area like I do.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
You definitely should, especially if you have strong ties to the NY/NJ area like I do.
I've lived my entire life (I am sixty years old) in New Jersey--fifth generation on a couple of sides--and have worked in the city for 40 years, 20 of them in the old WTC.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
It was removed. I vaguely remember a news squib about it at the time.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:31 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since it wasn't really considered a terrorist act by the Clinton Administration it was treated as a law enforcement issue.
They were idiots. O"Neill knew that years earlier. Clinton paid scant attention to growing Mideast terrorism, and passed up the chance he had to take out OBL long before 9-11 was even planned in 1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._O%27Neill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History