Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Of course this was news to Moore. I wonder if this information will encourage Moore to develop a more comprehensive understanding of American history.
I don't think Gate's guests' initial reaction to what is revealed to them (sprung on them, perhaps) is a very good indicator of how they feel or think about it after some reflection. You see a wide spectrum of reactions from gushing pride to indifference to indignation -- often for the camera. These are celebs trying to preserve a public persona. Gates will sometimes prod the guest for a reaction that they haven't thought out. I wonder what the contract stipulates on how a guest must react or behave. On a number of occasions, the guests seem to not have any grasp of history. Moore's story was a very rare event that even if you study history you might not grasp the meaning right away. His reaction seemed a bit subdued but Gates probed for more of a reaction and he tried to stay on his personal script. Most would do the same, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anyone who thinks GB ended this practice in modern times needs to think again. In years post WWII GB again rounded up victims (this time children) shipped them off overseas and in *many* cases essentially put them into slavery. They became forced labor on farms, factories and elsewhere; also were abused (mentally, physically and sexually), and so forth.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...shipped-abroad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Children
A good film was made based on it:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103471/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIJA2QOkbo0

Old 03-02-2019, 04:30 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I was going to ask that, because there were differences among the 100+ colonies in the US.

Native Americans killed lots of other Native Americans, and colonists, and colonists killed lots of Native Americans, so that doesn't say much.

The first official act of the Puritan government that came on the Mayflower was a mutual defense treaty with the Wampanoag.

The Narraganset repeatedly attacked the Wampanoag long before the Puritans arrived, and were likely to attack the Puritans as well, so a mutual defense treaty made sense.

They attacked US merchant and naval vessels as well, and the US under both the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution paid $Millions in bribes (in 1780s and 1790s Dollars) over the years to keep them from attacking US ships, but to no avail.

Yes, they were.

I had ancestors come here as indentured servants, and then I had another ancestor who owned land in Virginia who went back and forth to England recruiting indentured servants. The colonial government in Virginia would give you land, if you had the people to live and work on it. So, that's what he did. He'd bring over 40 people, and according to the documents, they'd work 7 to 12 years. They weren't paid wages, but at least some of them were able to sell a portion of their crops, and upon completing their term, at least some of them got a portion of the land they worked to keep as their own.

For a lot of people, indentured servitude made sense, because it was the only way to get to the colonies.

Mine were slaves for nearly six centuries on a papal estate in what everyone calls Transylvania. They were under Austro-Hungarian rule. They were freed around 1813.
How did you find that out? All of my relatives are in Europe; mostly in Hungary and surrounding countries.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:33 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ir...e-slaves/31076

It's nothing new, but I doubt it compares to the volume of people trafficked in the Trans-Atlantic-African Slave Trade. ALL races took part in the Trans-Atlantic African Slave Trade - anyone with the spare cash to buy someone else. You could say it was the 'Wall Street' or Big Business of its day.

Slavery has always been with mankind. It is a by-product of War. You either kill your captives, or find something else to do with them.

It is a good thing for all races to remember their history. When I think about what my ancestors went through from the time of Adam and Eve until the day of my birth, I can only be in awe of what strong and tenacious people we all descend from.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:46 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How widespread was this practice? I thought slavery was illegal in Europe, at least for white Christians, since the middle ages.
The Europe white slaves were not called slaves, but serfs- but a lot of them were treated exactly like slaves- could be sold - in some countries it lasted until 1860 or so...

Old 03-02-2019, 01:32 PM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Another form of slavery, called "white slavery" in the early 20th century, had to do with girls and women being captured and forced into prostitution. This still happens today both in this country and is rampant in certain other countries (not necessarily whites only of course). The Mann Act was passed to try to combat it in the US.

Investigation of white slave traffic is one of the oldest functions of the FBI, dating from the passage of the White Slave Traffic Act (Mann Act) in 1910. Originally established as a separate records system, the white slave traffic act cases were incorporated into the central filing system that the Bureau adopted from the Justice Department in 1921. The act was codified in U.S. Code Title 18 and prohibited transportation of women or girls in interstate or foreign commerce for the purpose of prostitution, debauchery, or other immoral purposes, the coercion or enticement of women or girls for this purpose, and the coercion or enticement of female minors.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:08 PM

732 posts, read 391,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How widespread was this practice? I thought slavery was illegal in Europe, at least for white Christians, since the middle ages.
Russian serfs were emancipated in 1861, although I doubt it made much difference on the ground for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History