Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 PM

496 posts, read 446,072 times

Advertisements

I know in US that smoking is said to be on a decline and I guess this is true.

But I notice a lot of "good ol boy types" "country boys" "rednecks", etc tend to use some type of tobacco in their mouth, if they don't smoke cigarettes. Not saying all do as surely probably not, but I'd say more often than not they at least do at times.

I had to go on a tour once of a factory and stepped in the mess they spitted on the ground, not realizing it. Ended up washing my shoes off.

Also I work with someone that's constantly spitting brown into a cup on their desk. I try not to look at it. It's enough to make you not want to eat lunch.

Apparently the nicotene in smoking, chewing, dipping, etc gives you a buzz. I don't understand why someone wants to inhale smoke into their lungs, but then again I eat greasy burgers and fries once in a while, so who am I to say. I don't get having "stuff" crammed in your mouth and having to spit constantly either.

My father chewed on cigars for years. I think this may have been related to his colon cancer a few years ago. He also had a lesion that had to be removed from his lip, most likely a result. He stopped for a few years, but recently I saw he'd gotten more cigars and then I see him chewing on them again. I don't get it, it causes cancer, so they quit and then back to it.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
The siren call of tobacco is mighty indeed. It is located in your brain where there are nicotine receptor cells waiting. Feed them nicotine just once and ,it you're unlucky, it will force you to crave more and more nicotine.

Smoking is hard to quit due to the nicotine intake. Any oral tobacco use is terrible since the nicotine <in very large amounts from direct contact with your mucious menbranes> floods into your blood stream directly. Some nicotine products are so strong they will ,literally, knock you out!

There is only one way to enjoy the flavors of tobacco and that is with a smoking pipe. A pipe is as safe as it gets with tobacco for many reasons. That said, ANY tobacco use will have health consquenses in time.

Best to avoid tobacco. Period.

Oh, yes. Been there done that with all forms of tobacco use. Quit and don't ever want to go back even when tobacco calls my name from time to time.

Tobacco is ,and has been, a money crop in the south for over 200 years.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:15 AM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
Jamestown was failing until they discovered tobacco, so anti-tobacco people were seen as unpatriotic until the second half of the 20th century.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
The OP is more of a rip on people from the south than any kind of historical topic.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:21 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The OP is more of a rip on people from the south than any kind of historical topic.
Good call.. and the thread title is framed as a question "Why..", but the thread is really just a subjective indictment/condemnation of (chewing) tobacco use..

Some people enjoy tobacco, some don't.. so what.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,093 times
i met some Norwegian women. they all chewed tobacco - skoal. they told me it was common. i was surprised. but look at the brand names - Skoal, Copenhagen...

nothing like seeing a six foot tall long straight haired blonde spitting

Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Only one post in 6 had any relevance to History. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History