Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
One lesson of D-Day - specifically, the vastly superior Allied position in 1944 compared to that of Germany in 1940 - shows how utterly impossible any invasion of Britain would have been.
Knowing what Germany's plans were and how D-Day went with the planning, men and equipment involved, that is 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:

Hopefully this thread doesn't get derailed by bashers.

You were right.....

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-23-2019 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
I participated in the 50th Anniversary D-Day events while stationed on the USS George Washington CVN-73. The GW was the flagship for the flotilla that left Portsmouth and headed to Normandy. It was quite the site and honor to be there.

We had a lot of VIP's on our ship including QEII, POTUS and all the military secretaries and top leaders.

It's something I will never forget.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I participated in the 50th Anniversary D-Day events while stationed on the USS George Washington CVN-73. The GW was the flagship for the flotilla that left Portsmouth and headed to Normandy. It was quite the site and honor to be there.

We had a lot of VIP's on our ship including QEII, POTUS and all the military secretaries and top leaders.

It's something I will never forget.

Oh wow....how exciting and very moving that must have been....

where was the ship located at the time? Were you off the coast of France?

THANK YOU for your service!

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
what was Germany and Japan thinking???

Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
While I quite admire Eisenhower as both a military commander and a president, it should be noted that in 1944 there was absolutely no possibility that Hitler could 'destroy freedom in the world'. Really, there never was - for example, the UK and Ireland and Iceland were beyond Germany's reach, to say nothing of the United States and Canada and Australia and New Zealand. Also, the war did not allow that 'the world could be free'. Hell, 'the world' isn't free today - just some parts of it are.

I don't begrudge Ike's mythologizing at a 20-year memorial, but this is a history forum so I just wanted to clarify that.
Perhaps a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but understandable in the context of the time. A lot of things that seem clear to us now were anything but clear at the time, and people were very disturbed and frightened. There were still any number of ways the war could have turned out, and some of the possibilities that seemed apparent at the time were frankly terrifying. Also, "we're making the world safe for democracy" was the go-to pep talk for explaining to the American people why we were sacrificing the lives of 400,000 of our children in other people's countries. I don't find it surprising that he still lived and died by it 20 years later; he probably had a lot of sleepless nights over the course of his life, looking back and thinking of all the young men and women he'd sent to their deaths.

But in the end, did it really matter? Did his choice of words matter that much? Tens of millions of innocent men, women, and children were being slaughtered by totalitarian regimes all across the globe, and it had been going on for 15 years. It had to stop. It had to be stopped, and the Normandy invasion was one of the most significant, decisive steps toward stopping it since the whole tragedy began. The morning of that day was the moment the free world began rolling the Nazi death machine back from the occupied countries of Western Europe. For the couple of hundred of innocent people in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, et al who lived in terror every single day, that pretty much was the world. I can live with Ike's poetic license.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Perhaps a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but understandable in the context of the time. A lot of things that seem clear to us now were anything but clear at the time, and people were very disturbed and frightened. There were still any number of ways the war could have turned out, and some of the possibilities that seemed apparent at the time were frankly terrifying. Also, "we're making the world safe for democracy" was the go-to pep talk for explaining to the American people why we were sacrificing the lives of 400,000 of our children in other people's countries. I don't find it surprising that he still lived and died by it 20 years later; he probably had a lot of sleepless nights over the course of his life, looking back and thinking of all the young men and women he'd sent to their deaths.

But in the end, did it really matter? Did his choice of words matter that much? Tens of millions of innocent men, women, and children were being slaughtered by totalitarian regimes all across the globe, and it had been going on for 15 years. It had to stop. It had to be stopped, and the Normandy invasion was one of the most significant, decisive steps toward stopping it since the whole tragedy began.

The morning of that day was the moment the free world began rolling the Nazi death machine back from the occupied countries of Western Europe. For the couple of hundred of innocent people in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, et al who lived in terror every single day, that pretty much was the world. I can live with Ike's poetic license.

Yes, good response....thank you.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
"we're making the world safe for democracy" was the go-to pep talk for explaining to the American people why we were sacrificing the lives of 400,000 of our children in other people's countries.
You may find it was because the Japanese wiped out a lot of the US Pacific fleet and a whole raft of Axis countries declared war on the USA was the reason - one which the population fully understood. The liberation of Western Europe was started with Sicily the year before.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:

But in the end, did it really matter? Did his choice of words matter that much? Tens of millions of innocent men, women, and children were being slaughtered by totalitarian regimes all across the globe, and it had been going on for 15 years. It had to stop. It had to be stopped, and the Normandy invasion was one of the most significant, decisive steps toward stopping it since the whole tragedy began. The morning of that day was the moment the free world began rolling the Nazi death machine back from the occupied countries of Western Europe. For the couple of hundred of innocent people in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, et al who lived in terror every single day, that pretty much was the world. I can live with Ike's poetic license.
Apparently, you didn't read my final sentence, despite quoting it.

Let me repeat it:
Quote:
I don't begrudge Ike's mythologizing at a 20-year memorial, but this is a history forum so I just wanted to clarify that.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:08 PM

16,666 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Eisenhower, had prepared a message for the press and public, accepting all the blame for Overlord’s failure. This message was never distributed.
I suspect that this is a lot more common than we know. It is known that Nixon had 2 speeches prepared when the first moon landing took place. I would assume that Carter had a congratulatory speech prepared but he had to use the accepting the blame speech when the helicopter crashed in Iran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History