Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. War interests you more?
The American Revolutionary War 15 31.91%
The American Civil War 26 55.32%
Both equally 4 8.51%
I switch depending on my mood 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 11:07 PM

795 posts, read 483,995 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says! Which U.S. War are you more interested in learning about/watching documentaries-movies-tv shows about, The American Revolutionary War or The American Civil War?

If you're not interested in either... I guess don't vote.

Discuss your reasons, but KEEP IT APPROPRIATE AND RESPECTFUL TO OTHERS. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 11:16 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Revolutionary War. I think we hold it in a kind of mysticism which is both earned and not really accurate. Happened at a really interesting part of western history in general, too.

The Civil War is shameful. Just plainly because we had any kind of civil war to begin with...all the more because of a plethora of shortcomings born out of the revolutionary war.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:17 AM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
For me, its the Civil War. Its more relatable to my own family experience given that I had family who fought on both sides that I can document (both in the US Colored Troops and for the Confederacy). So from a genealogy perspective and tracking what my ancestors were up to, it is very fascinating to me.

It probably doesn't hurt that there are actual photographs from the Civil War era--to include battlefields, speeches, camp life, etc.--that make the War more "real" to me. Ken Burns did an excellent job capturing a lot of them and telling the narrative in general.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:39 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
The Civil War.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:33 AM

I made this poll because it's always a question I ask any history fan in conversation.

These are my two favorite historical periods to study up on. I did vote for The American Revolutionary War, as it has always interested me just slightly more than the American Civil War.

For me, The American Revolutionary War always fascinated me. 13 separate colonies who finally formed an alliance for a greater cause seems uplifting a message. Living in Boston, I've seen a lot of the history it has to offer from that time era (just need to get to Philadelphia and Valley Forge sometime now lol). Living near where; the Battles of Lexington and Concord happened, The Boston Massacre, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, The Boston Tea Party and The Battle of Bunker Hill it has made itself the number one historical period of choice in my heart. Having gone to Bunker Hill Community College (in Charlestown near where the battle took place) and being born on the same day as the Battle of Bunker Hill, the 17th of June basically cemented my interest in it. I will admit I teared up upon seeing The Declaration of Independence in Washington D.C. It was majestic and surreal to see it in person. Seeing George Washington's home Mount Vernon (one of my favorite tourist spots) while there was also amazing. Just imagining that he stood looking out over the Chesapeake, is a gratifying feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love learning about The Civil War too. Gettysburg is just fantastic to see the battle areas and where the Gettysburg Address was spoken (another one of my favorite tourist spots). My favorite movie is set amidst The Civil War, Gone With the Wind (1939). Standing atop the Lincoln Monument gives me a proud feeling. Seeing Ford's Theatre and 'The House that Lincoln Died In' was interesting, but sad because of the outcome. (Just need to visit more of Virginia, Mississippi and Georgia to see more of where the big battles took place lol).

The Ken Burns Documentary Series on The Civil War was great! You are right! I hope he does one of The Revolutionary War at some point. It's very cool that you can trace your ancestors to The Civil War!

Thank you all for sharing!

Old 04-19-2020, 07:47 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
The Civil War will inevitably attract more interest.

For most people, the story is more compelling. Us-versus-us is a more interesting story than us-versus-them. Also, the pivotal element of enslavement is a wee bit more powerful than "How dare you tax our tea!". Toss in a martyred president and an inconclusive post-war situation in which the losers were allowed to assemble a social construct which retained many elements of enslavement in the oppression of the 'liberated' slaved and you've got a gripping drama, compared to the relatively ending of the American War of Independence.

Greek tragedy versus the fairy tale that is the myth of national founding. The former will have more legs.

Also, as has been mentioned, the preservation of the Civil War in photographs helps to this end.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:50 AM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
I voted both because both had a significant impact on our history and our culture. And because both are improperly taught in most schools. For example, in your post above, you mention the standard places from the Revolution. But over half the Revolution was fought in the Carolinas. Often between colonists loyal to the crown vs colonists who wanted independence. Much of what we saw in Viet Nam and what we see in Afghanistan today was seen in the swamps of South Carolina.

So many don't understand the causes and effects of the American Civil War. They don't understand how it changed the relationship between the States as independent states, and a central Federal Government. And how much of those same issues, or lack of understanding of those issues, are what drives many of the issues we face today.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I voted both because both had a significant impact on our history and our culture. And because both are improperly taught in most schools. For example, in your post above, you mention the standard places from the Revolution. But over half the Revolution was fought in the Carolinas. Often between colonists loyal to the crown vs colonists who wanted independence. Much of what we saw in Viet Nam and what we see in Afghanistan today was seen in the swamps of South Carolina.

So many don't understand the causes and effects of the American Civil War. They don't understand how it changed the relationship between the States as independent states, and a central Federal Government. And how much of those same issues, or lack of understanding of those issues, are what drives many of the issues we face today.
Agree this is a little-known aspect of the American Revolution. It certainly wasn’t covered in my American history class in high school, as I can recall, nor well publicized in Hollywood movies of TAR.

The National Museum of American History has a neat interactive diorama exhibit touching on the subject, so hopefully will expose more folks to it than otherwise.

I’m surprised Ken Burns has not made a documentary of The American Revolution- it’s certainly a key cornerstone of American history.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:58 AM

3,736 posts, read 2,566,784 times
Quote:
..improperly taught in most schools.. the American Civil War..They don't understand how it changed the relationship between the States as independent states, and a central Federal Government..
Amen.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Agree this is a little-known aspect of the American Revolution. It certainly wasn’t covered in my American history class in high school, as I can recall, nor well publicized in Hollywood movies of TAR.

The National Museum of American History has a neat interactive diorama exhibit touching on the subject, so hopefully will expose more folks to it than otherwise.

I’m surprised Ken Burns has not made a documentary of The American Revolution- it’s certainly a key cornerstone of American history.

I'm trying to recall if my U.S. History Classes thoroughly taught the Southern Campaign of The American Revolutionary War.. I must have learned a little bit of it in school because I remember connecting it to The Patriot (2000) with Mel Gibson, which is a great film. I know he is a mix of Francis Marion and Daniel Morgan, along with other Patriots whose names escape me at the moment. Jason Isaacs is based on Banastre Tarleton. When they taught it in school (during my middle school years) it's where I first heard the term guerilla warfare too. I remember this because upon first hearing that term stupid 12 year old me literally pictured gorillas LOL.

The diorama sounds interesting!

My high school and college American History course did teach it. But I first learned about it in middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History