Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:17 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I believe I read one time, that sans immigrants in this country, the fertility rate would be around 1.6 or 1.7, slightly higher than countries in Europe.
The current (as of 2017 - the most recent year for which I can find data) total fertility rate in the United States is 1.765.
https://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...l-in-40-years/

The immigrant fertility rate raises the national fertility rate, but not by all that much.

Quote:
Although still higher than that of natives, immigrant fertility has only a small impact on the nation's overall birth rate. The presence of immigrants raises the birth rate for all women in their reproductive years by just two births per thousand (3.9 percent).
https://cis.org/Report/Immigrant-and...lity-2008-2017
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 11:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Spend less energy on "rates" ... focus on the raw numbers instead.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, what did you expect?
When was the last time you saw say a movie, promoting large families - and happy?

When was the last time you saw a movie, promoting healthy man/woman relationship?
When was last time you saw TV news showing how happy alrge families are or, praising a woman that had several children?
When was the last time government increased maternity leaves and secured jobs for them, along with financial incentives? I came form 3 years paid for leave and job secured).
You can continue this list, as I do not watch news or TV or read books or papers or partake in any social media.
Little do I see is what I mentioned and little do I see is promotion of exactly the opposite.

You always rip what you sawed.
I take almost none of my observations on reality from TV or movies.

I look around me, and listen to people talk.

Do you really think movies and TV are what is causing people to realize that a LOT of children is a LOT of work - and even one child is completely life-changing?

Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I'll bet the overall infant mortality rate is also near the lowest point in history.

https://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=xx&v=29

Old 10-25-2019, 01:21 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
We need to start neutering the poor and the criminals. They are the ones that are reproducing at an alarming rate.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'll bet the overall infant mortality rate is also near the lowest point in history.
It doesn't matter.
The "rate" starts with a pop number that has too high to begin with ... for at least 2 generations now.

The ~142Million around to fight WW2 grew to 189Million in 1960 with the post war baby boom.
By the time the youngest of boomers finished their boom in 1990 we had 258Million.

At 258M... things work, will work, did work... far better than they will or can or do with 326M.
We need to stop expanding our raw numbers.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:25 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I read, once, that France was trying to increase its fertility rate by offering free day care, and free train tickets, and I think it's been mildly successful.

When China made it possible for women to have a 2nd child, and they polled the women over there if they'd consider having a 2nd child, 70% said No Way Jose!

When Iran's fertility rate dropped to 1.8, the leader has since banned vasectomies.

The only scare to all this is if there were another worldwide Plague, and would there be enough technicians around to maintain our infrastructure, like nuclear power plants and even people to make repairs to our homes and cars.
Add Hungary to that list

Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why aren't you seeing the things you list above? You answer it yourself

How would you know what is or isn't out there if you make no effort to learn?
What I was thinking.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's more a matter of women taking control of their own reproductive rights.
This is a factor, no doubt. But it has become quite expensive to raise kids. It is not unusual for fathers to want to limit family size. There will be fewer resources for each succeeding child, and both parents must work to be able to provide properly for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History