Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 04:24 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Imagine an extremely powerful world leader, who could marry anyone he wanted to, being shown a thoroughly photoshopped painting of a politically connected young virgin. And his trusted lawyer says "Yowza, you'll love this one."
He enters into an unbreakable contract (cuz they'll lob an army against him otherwise) before he sees her in person.

He's already in a bad mood cuz his manhood is gone south and when he finally gets a good look at her she flinches when he gets close (the "surprise" visit) and his manhood is a sad puppy who starts to blame her for everything.

When it comes to painting portraits the customer (parents of subject) won't be happy with realism (won't pay IOW), they want 50% prettier than reality. So reality is: add 30 pounds, probably hint of double chin (or more than a hint, a shout), maybe one eye slightly lazy when she gets tired. She doesn't speak the language, doesn't know what flirting is, maybe religious so no petting or foreplay, she's scared outta her skin and her bridegroom smells funny (she may think he has syphilis which she can get and die). Recipe for disaster.

I photographed portraits for a living. If I made women look 30 lbs thinner and 10 years younger I made money. Their friends could still recognize them, just thought they were "photogenic." Good portrait painters rose to the top if they did the same thing. Imagine how fat Henry VIII really was when you look at his official portraits which Henry liked enough to keep around (not destroy). He would have been grossly fat...and still be able to marry whomever he wanted to.
He could marry anyone he wanted to in England, not in Europe. His choices became more and more limited. Most other royalty wanted nothing to do with him and his failed marriages. It was Anne of Cleves brother that offered her up in hopes of making an alliance with Henry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 09:46 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Imagine an extremely powerful world leader, who could marry anyone he wanted to, being shown a thoroughly photoshopped painting of a politically connected young virgin. And his trusted lawyer says "Yowza, you'll love this one."
He enters into an unbreakable contract (cuz they'll lob an army against him otherwise) before he sees her in person.

He's already in a bad mood cuz his manhood is gone south and when he finally gets a good look at her she flinches when he gets close (the "surprise" visit) and his manhood is a sad puppy who starts to blame her for everything.

When it comes to painting portraits the customer (parents of subject) won't be happy with realism (won't pay IOW), they want 50% prettier than reality. So reality is: add 30 pounds, probably hint of double chin (or more than a hint, a shout), maybe one eye slightly lazy when she gets tired. She doesn't speak the language, doesn't know what flirting is, maybe religious so no petting or foreplay, she's scared outta her skin and her bridegroom smells funny (she may think he has syphilis which she can get and die). Recipe for disaster.

I photographed portraits for a living. If I made women look 30 lbs thinner and 10 years younger I made money. Their friends could still recognize them, just thought they were "photogenic." Good portrait painters rose to the top if they did the same thing. Imagine how fat Henry VIII really was when you look at his official portraits which Henry liked enough to keep around (not destroy). He would have been grossly fat...and still be able to marry whomever he wanted to.
Who told you that, because is just wasn't true.

After death of Jane Seymour Henry VIII really didn't want to marry again. He was old, having health issues and finally had gotten an male heir out of his late wife. Far as king was concerned he was done; but his ministers and others saw things otherwise. Basically going after Henry telling him the succession wasn't secure with just one male heir; the nation needed a spare.

When the king finally gave in and emissaries were dispatched to various courts of Europe to court eligible princesses; they all turned Henry down flat.

Word had spread all over Europe over Henry VIII's treatment of Catherine of Aragon, then the beheading of Anne Boleyn. Jane Seymour's death from childbirth was common enough to warrant a pass, but the princesses in Europe weren't having any of it; all felt a marriage to Henry was more than their lives were worth.

Henry VIII in seeking hand of Mary of Guise said " that he was big in person and had need of a big wife". To which Mary of Guise responded "I may be a big woman, but I have a very little neck." The lady turned Henry down and married James V of Scotland instead. For the record Mary of Guise is the mother of Mary, Queen of Scots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_o...of_Longueville

Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

How were you able to do that, working with only a camera? Did you have a makeup artist on staff?

Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How were you able to do that, working with only a camera? Did you have a makeup artist on staff?
Who said they were working with only a camera? Even before Photoshop existed, there was such thing as airbrushing. Photographs have been altered in post processing since photography began. The right lighting and angles also help, but airbrushing was common long before computers and Photoshop came along, and before airbrushing there were other methods of retouching, softening, etc.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:03 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
My mother used to color sepia photographs. There was special (I guess it was water based but don't know) paint used for this, and it was applied with all sorts of implements, but a cotton swab was the main one. I used to help her make the swabs and can still make a better "Q Tip" than Q Tip.

You could do amazing things with this - turn a frown into a smile, erase wrinkles, give grey hair some color, and I'll bet you could make someone look a few pounds thinner, too.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:53 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Actually altering or coloring photographs goes back to the 1840’s in the daguerreotype era.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:29 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Who told you that, because is just wasn't true.

After death of Jane Seymour Henry VIII really didn't want to marry again. He was old, having health issues and finally had gotten an male heir out of his late wife. Far as king was concerned he was done; but his ministers and others saw things otherwise. Basically going after Henry telling him the succession wasn't secure with just one male heir; the nation needed a spare.

When the king finally gave in and emissaries were dispatched to various courts of Europe to court eligible princesses; they all turned Henry down flat.

Word had spread all over Europe over Henry VIII's treatment of Catherine of Aragon, then the beheading of Anne Boleyn. Jane Seymour's death from childbirth was common enough to warrant a pass, but the princesses in Europe weren't having any of it; all felt a marriage to Henry was more than their lives were worth.

Henry VIII in seeking hand of Mary of Guise said " that he was big in person and had need of a big wife". To which Mary of Guise responded "I may be a big woman, but I have a very little neck." The lady turned Henry down and married James V of Scotland instead. For the record Mary of Guise is the mother of Mary, Queen of Scots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_o...of_Longueville

Christina of Denmark very famously said, "If I had two heads, one should be at the King of England's disposal." Women with "options" were having none of Henry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History