Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 03:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times

Advertisements

Which presidents had siblings who would been just as good? Kennedys and Bushes had contenders. I've heard Milton Eisenhower was better qualified than Dwight. Then there is Billy Carter. Half the FDR fanily was born in Canada, so ineligible. But before then, I'm just drawing blanks.

Before FDR, what kinds of siblings did presidents have? Any remarkable sisters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 05:13 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Which presidents had siblings who would been just as good? Kennedys and Bushes had contenders. I've heard Milton Eisenhower was better qualified than Dwight. Then there is Billy Carter. Half the FDR fanily was born in Canada, so ineligible. But before then, I'm just drawing blanks.

Billy, Roger, Neil, others - there seems to be an array of ne'er-do-wells among Presidential siblings. But maybe it's just the usual variety of human tendency. Being the close relative of a President (or a future President, as they tend to lead driven and high-achieving pre-Presidential lives) must be a strange existence (to say nothing of being a President's child).

Franklin Delano Roosevelt's only sibling, James Roosevelt Roosevelt (yes, that was really his full name) was older than Franklin Delano Roosevelt's mother. James was, of course, a half brother of Franklin, and he was five months old when his future-brother's future-mother was born.

Richard Nixon's younger brother Arthur died when the future President was 12 years old - eight years later, his older brother Harold died. These deaths haunted Nixon for the rest of his life.

John Kennedy was obviously one sibling among a bunch of very high achievers.

Sam Houston Johnson was a piece of work. And Orvil Grant was an opportunistic grifter.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:57 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
And of course Billy Carter has the distinction of being the only presidential sibling that created and marketed his own brand of beer. Seems to have enjoyed the limelight too.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Teddy Roosevelt's family has a distinguished although tragic history in military service -
His youngest son was killed in action in WWI.
His oldest son earned a Medal of Honor in WWII after distinguished service on D day (he died of a heart attack a month later).

(edit - I see you say "siblings"...ah well, I give you offsprings)

Last edited by Dd714; 06-25-2020 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And of course Billy Carter has the distinction of being the only presidential sibling that created and marketed his own brand of beer. Seems to have enjoyed the limelight too.
I saw a 1976 interview with Billy Carter where he was asked what it was like being the black sheep of the family. He replied:
"Black sheep? My brother's runnin' fer president, my 68 year old mother joined the Peace Corps, and my sister's a holy roller. I'm the only normal one in the family."

Old 06-27-2020, 04:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

I've sometimes wondered what wonderful careers the Kennedy daughters might have had if they were brought up to have the same ambitions as the sons.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
Starting one by one, the first with any promise seems to be Thomas Boylston Adams, the brother of John Quincy Adams. He earned a law degree at Harvard, but seemed an indifferent lawyer, reputed to have an alcohol problem. He was elected to the Massachusetts legislature.

Carter Basset Harrison, brother of William Henry, was elected three times to Congress, but his career seems to be undistinguished.

Last edited by arr430; 06-28-2020 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 09:01 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Andrew Jackson's brother if I recall correctly from American Lion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History