Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 10:30 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

What would you like to see? The rules are no touching of anything at all, no contact of any kind. No one can see you or know you are there. Observation only. No butterfly effect allowed. Any time in the past from 5 minutes ago to the molten lava formation of the earth.

I'm interested in a lot of the mystery architecture. What was it, how was it built, did the Egyptians really have battery powered lights?

History is written by the victor, but what really happened?

On a purely superficial level, I'd really like to know what Helen of Troy looked like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 12:11 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Those time machines are called "movies."

No, the Egyptians didn't have batteries. That jar was a unique Babylonian find anyway.

Studying history and knowing how to properly read between the lines and find contemporary accounts from different sources does a good job of sussing out the nonsense.

On a purely superficial level, I'd sooner watch Helen being hatched out of the egg laid by Leda after Leda was raped by Zeus. (Not sure I would like to see that act...)

Old 09-28-2023, 02:58 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
You'd enjoy Michael Crichton's novel, Timeline, 1999 (if you haven't read it already) you will be transformed to 14th century France.

Harry Chickpea tickled my synapses. In my youth when I saw the Time Machine (1960 version), I wanted so much to go back to find Yvette Mimieux.

BTW, I got back from my most recent trip to ancient Greece. Helen of Troy looked like Salma Hayek circa 1996/1997 and when I went back to Ancient Egypt, Nefertiti looked like Lara Dutta circa 2000 (Miss Universe). That no touching rule is confounding though.

For sheer 'experience' (knowing I wouldn't die) I would like to experience what some nomadic Central Asian tribal group felt in as they first heard the Mongols horses rumbling like distant thunder and before being slaughtered. I don't think Hollywood has ever captured that as they tend to over do it with sound tracks.

Perhaps the Ice Age to view a big fauna hunt (sabre tooth tiger / Mammoth). Or any of the ancient civilization society's ceremonies.

I too would find it fascinating to see how monumental structures were built (Ziggurats in Persia, Pyramids in Egypt, Hanging gardens of Babylon, et al.

See 'Jesus' sometime in his years between 18 and 30.... as in, where was he hanging out?

Krakatoa 1883 to see it go boom...The triple overpass on Nov 22, 1963, the moments before JFK was assassinated.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:47 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Hmm.............late Cretaceous, about 67M years ago, roughly the hey day of T-Rex and the Hell's Creek dinosaur crew.

or

Seeing either Madagascar or New Zealand pre-human contact.

I guess my answers are more biology than history. For history, I would like to meet one of my "brick wall" ancestors. John Porter, alleged Jacobite from Glouchester, left through Bristol after getting drunk and singing a song "uncomplimentary" to the ruling King George. Zero paper trail for this guy. I would like to observe him and see what he was or if he was at all.

I would not go back and see Jesus. I don't think that would go well, I feel you would be called out 'ye of little faith' and all that. Don't want to be doubting Thomas!

Old 09-29-2023, 04:49 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
You'd enjoy Michael Crichton's novel, Timeline, 1999 (if you haven't read it already) you will be transformed to 14th century France.
A fun movie. Didn't read the book so don't know how well the movie remains true to the novel.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:50 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those time machines are called "movies."

No, the Egyptians didn't have batteries. That jar was a unique Babylonian find anyway.

Studying history and knowing how to properly read between the lines and find contemporary accounts from different sources does a good job of sussing out the nonsense.

On a purely superficial level, I'd sooner watch Helen being hatched out of the egg laid by Leda after Leda was raped by Zeus. (Not sure I would like to see that act...)
I have always subscribed to the Pelasgian creation myth which answers the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:46 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I’m reminded of an old PBS TV show called “Meeting of the Minds” hosted by Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows. Not a time machine but rather a situation where certain historical figures were yanked out of the past and placed at a dinner table with a couple others from the past. The table conversations were spirited and informative.

I would like to share a meal or bottle of wine with a few historical people at certain times in their lives: Churchill, Shakespeare, Henry VII - 1st Tudor, Napoleon, Camille Saint-Saëns, Robespierre, Bach, Alexander von Humboldt, Graf Zeppelin, Marco Polo, Garibaldi, Galileo, a certain young poet, seminarian, and pirate who later became Stalin, Yuri Gagarin, and Ayn Rand. I would certainly not want them all together at once. Maybe two or three at a time. There would also be a number of NonEuropeans but my list is too long already.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:49 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,799 times
Might be fun to go back and find the origins of idioms and nursery rhymes that have been falsely attributed.

But I think it would probably be used more by people to watch Cleopatra getting it on with Caesar, and every conspiracy theory from the grassy knoll to Roswell.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:05 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those time machines are called "movies.".........
Ah. So you are content to believe Hollywood's version of history.

Myself, I'd love to see what dinosaurs really looked like as opposed to what Steven Spielberg thinks they looked like. I find that I am a bit skeptical about the idea that they were covered in feathers. This theory that a meteor hit the earth and obscured the sun? Did it really happen?

What are those Nazca lines in Peru?

No one would like to go back and watch the 1981 World Series?

It might be interesting to see how Hannibal actually got all those elephants over the Alps. It couldn't have been easy.

I've heard some plausible theories about Roanoke. Native American lore seems to cover it pretty well, but it might be nice to actually know.

From a purely self-serving point of view, it might be possible to locate the Lost Dutchman Mine. Just follow Waltz around for awhile.

No contact does impose a limitation. I'd like to know what the "British Sweating Sickness" was, but that would require a few blood samples, so not allowed.

Most of the usefulness for me would be for pre-history.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:32 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
"Ah. So you are content to believe Hollywood's version of history."

LOL! Anything but that. Home movies, however, can be pretty darn accurate. Some of the clips from the old newsreels can be a mine of information as well once you get past the cheesecake and promotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History