Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times

Advertisements

I am using VMWare converter to create a virtual machine of a physical machine. This is something that I have done a lot in the past. It is pretty basic. You install it, then connect an eternal drive, and start the conversion process. It usually takes about an hour. What happens is that you get an image that you can open with Virtual Box or VMWare.

I have been fighting this issue for a few days now:

Getting this error:

FAILED: Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible.

Googling this error, I found this page:

VMware Communities: FAILED: Unable to find the system...

That hints that I need to edit the boot.ini file.

I am not familiar with this file, and haven't done it before.

Can anyone help me that has seen this error?

I backed up the file with the command so that I at least have a starting point to go back to.

Modifying the Windows 7 boot loader with the Boot Configuration Data Editor tool | TechRepublic

I appreciate any help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times
I should have included this info.

The machine I am trying to create a virtual of is Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bit.

I am using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0.1 build-875114

Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM

573 posts, read 971,249 times
switch to oracle VM virtualbox, Also make sure you have the virtualization stuff in the bios enabled if it's an I processor (I3,I5,I7)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
I have used VMware to convert a physical image to a virtual one and it was relatively painless but I have also used the free utility from SysInternals called Disk2vhd which was a breeze as well. You can also use the .vhd images created by this utility to load as a physical image on another disk by editing the BCD.

Speaking of bcd file, Windows Vista and 7 no longer uses Boot.ini as Windows XP does. So accessing the boot loader using notepad or msconfig is no longer feasible. You have to use the included Windows utility called bcdedit to modify the boot loader.

Here is a very good link that explains how you can do that. As mentioned on that site, make sure to backup the current configuration before doing any changes!

Good luck!

PS. And then there is EasyBCD

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-01-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers