Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM

258 posts, read 674,141 times

Advertisements

My friend wants to create flyers for a fundraiser. She would like it to be decorative with pictures, borders etal and then of course would like to print out copies. What is the best free program or website where it can be done? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,029,607 times
you can do it in word.
Inkscape will work too.

or you can download a free trial version of adobe illustrator/indesign

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,840,988 times
Open Office or Libra Office -- I would use the presentation program clone of PowerPoint for desktop publishing, just because I know Powerpoint well and it lets me paste in clipart, or quickly set up a 2-column layout as two text boxes ,etc.

There is free clipart on the 'net -- Google.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,906,303 times
paint.net could be used for this.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,307,631 times
MS Word (and Pages for Mac) have desktop publishing functionality and templates. If you already have either program you can easily create a flyer.

In Word go the “New from Template” under the File Menu, choose a flyer and then customize (change colors, add pictures, etc.) to meet your needs. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube for this.

And some unsolicited tips: A little bit of design goes a long way. If you want people to notice your flyer it should be striking but not cluttered. Keep your choices simple—and avoid “handwriting” fonts, which are hard to read.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,343,541 times
Are you aware that office supply places sell special paper specifically designed to be folded into halves or thirds for a brochure, with art work already applied? All you have to do is make a Word document with the text placed so it will fall in the open spaces when printed on the paper. There are designs for EVERYTHING from kid's events to golf outings to costume parties to fundraisers to corporate informational brochures.

There are also online sites that give you "free" brochure templates. One is Brochures - Create and Print FREE brochures - Brother CREATIVE CENTER

I say free in quotes because, as you might guess, these designs are heavy on use of color, which will make you use up GALLONS of color ink in your printer. So Brother has an ulterior motive, as do most of the other sites that come up when you Google "brochure templates." I've created many brochures for every conceivable purpose (from introducing a new company to making a wedding program), using every method I've ever found from the cheapest to the professionally printed, and I think the stock paper sold for this purpose is the easiest way. It's only cheaper to have brochures professionally printed if you need hundreds. And printing artwork as well as text on your own printer is a PITA and uneconomical.

If you have no office supply store nearby, or don't like their selection, I recommend PaperDirect, an online company I've done business with off and on over 20 years. They have hundreds of designs. Opening a bakery? Advertising your freelance accounting business? Promoting a spa or salon? Raising funds for a school? They have you covered.
Brochure, Brochure Design & Brochure Printing | PaperDirect

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM

258 posts, read 674,141 times
All great ideas , thanks. I took the ms word approach and am on my way. Thanks again

Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 PM

7,530 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Here is another option (aka Kinko's)

Flyer Printing - Full Color Flyer Printing | FedEx Office

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,840,988 times
Just a fyi: I was able to find many free-download PDF MS Office books like Word Bible and PowerPoint, Project, Excel, etc. books at IT eBooks - Free Download - Big Library using the Google Search option there. I used to go pay $50 each for those books back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers