Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

How would intelligent life on earth have proceeded if Neanderthals had survived? What would be the nature of the relationship between Homo sapiens and H. neanderthalensis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How would intelligent life on earth have proceeded if Neanderthals had survived? What would be the nature of the relationship between Homo sapiens and H. neanderthalensis?
The same as any other group of people that are not as smart as, as civilized as, as enlightened as, as developed as....................(you name it) us.

They would be exploited, abused, and then finally when they were a totally wasted, disappearing people be regarded with enthusiastic and pitying curiosity. Living cultural artifacts to be "appreciated" for contributing to human diversity (now that they were safely subjugated and reduced to helplessness.)

In other words, the same old story.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:25 AM

248 posts, read 616,390 times
No, the Neanderthals were not a group of people not as smart as, not as civilized...
In fact, recent reasearch concluded that they were as smart as H.S.S.
Neanderthals were a different Human specie.
Archeology shows that they were ignored by ancient H.S.S (only two cases of hybridation).
They were not killed, driven or "eaten" to extinction purposely by H.S.S, but driven to remote corners where they disappeared. They were pushed out of hunting grounds and their technology was not sufficient to cope with a changing environment.
In the case they would have survived in a remote island, no one knows how modern H.S.S would have treated them.
Considering the way H.S.S treat other H.S.S, I guess they would have perished centuries ago, just like the Dodo.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I looked at this quick and thought the title was "What if the Netherlands Had Survived"

Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
The desription of neanderthals were that they were short with dense bone structure and powerfully built ..... hmm that sounds like former heavyweight boxing champ iron mike tyson to me

Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The same as any other group of people that are not as smart as, as civilized as, as enlightened as, as developed as....................(you name it) us.

They would be exploited, abused, and then finally when they were a totally wasted, disappearing people be regarded with enthusiastic and pitying curiosity. Living cultural artifacts to be "appreciated" for contributing to human diversity (now that they were safely subjugated and reduced to helplessness.)

In other words, the same old story.
That probably IS what happened, more or less.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
I looked at this quick and thought the title was "What if the Netherlands Had Survived"
That's one of the options my spell-check gave me, but I overrode it.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 AM

If H.s.s had not migrated when it did from Africa to Europe, H.n. would have had Europe all to itself for quite a few millennia. If Europe's climate and geography was better suited to intellectual development (which it apparently was), H.n. would have had more of a head start, and H.s.s. would have faced the options of remaining in Africa, or being driven by H.n. eastward into south Asia, or clashing with a superior (or at least formidable) culture on its home turf. This significantly dilutes the assurance that H.s.s. would have been the species that prevailed in the long run.

Among the world's fauna, it is relatively unusual for two species of the same genus to occupy the same habitat. More often than not, range maps of the members of a genus have little or no overlap, such as the Black-capped and Carolina chickadees,, which have an astonishingly sharp line separating their ranges and do not hybridize. That would make it seem likely that if H.n. had gotten any kind of a genuine foothold in Europe, H.s.s. would simply have flourished in Asia, out of harm's way.

If both species developed the common H.s.s. trait of destroying everything that gets in it's way, there would likely have been continuous warfare between them until one was extirpated or permanently enslaved.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-10-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,353,204 times
Didn't National Geographic or the History channel or Discovery have a program early this year about this very subject. I had planned to watch it, but something came up at the last minute and I didn't get a chance to set the VCR,....... but, if memory serves me correctly, the commercials for it suggested that maybe Neanderthals did survive and are living amongst us and mingling with our species. Did anyone see that program?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Didn't National Geographic or the History channel or Discovery have a program early this year about this very subject. I had planned to watch it, but something came up at the last minute and I didn't get a chance to set the VCR,....... but, if memory serves me correctly, the commercials for it suggested that maybe Neanderthals did survive and are living amongst us and mingling with our species. Did anyone see that program?
No I didn't see it, but I think it seem highly unlikely that any of us are carrying Neanderthal DNA, because so many thousands or people have had the Haploid Group identified, and so far, as far as I know, it's all been Homo sapiens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History