Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 11:47 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Not making light of his life, but from what I've heard about war, most of these men were thrilled to live mundane lives after surviving all of that overseas.
True, but as a black man he was going to be denied the opportunity to be a pilot for an airline, for example, in the same way his white counterparts could have post service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 12:23 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I grew up in the 50s and looking back, the mood was optimistic. The war was over and life got back to normal. Jobs were plentiful. My parents bought their first house right after my dad got out of the Air Force in 1949. They had 3 kids and my dad moved up in his job and my mother stayed home and kept house. My mom learned to drive. She got a clothes dryer. All was rosy.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 7,072 times
Quote:
my parents got to enjoy some things that we will never know again (a less polluted world and a general innocence about the outside world) but for most the 1950s seemed like a drag.
Less polluted? The air where I grew up in the 50's was frequently brown colored and so thick... you'd swear you could cut it with a knife. Made your throat burn and eyes water.

Thanks to catalytic converters and whatnot, the air today is extremely clean by comparison. Where did you hear that there was less pollution then?

There's a philosophical term known as "making perfect the enemy of the good". Aka moving the goalposts. We see this in the environmental movement today IMHO.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:58 PM

885 posts, read 625,518 times
A number of years ago, I read a book which focused on growing up in the 1950s in the US. The title is "Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen." Its author is Alix Kates Shulman. The narrative of this book is based on her 'coming of age' during that decade.

Ms. Shulman characterized the 1950s as 'conformist, prosperity driven, and communism obsessed.'

As someone who also lived through the 1950s, I concur with her conclusions.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:11 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
A number of years ago, I read a book which focused on growing up in the 1950s in the US. The title is "Memoirs of an Ex-Prom Queen." Its author is Alix Kates Shulman. The narrative of this book is based on her 'coming of age' during that decade.

Ms. Shulman characterized the 1950s as 'conformist, prosperity driven, and communism obsessed.'

As someone who also lived through the 1950s, I concur with her conclusions.
Conformist with a capital C. That was an underlying rule as to how to live and get along. The houses in my suburban subdivision were so similar that I walked into the wrong house coming home from school one day. The kids were in huge herds at school, little league, scouts, Sunday school, the local pool -- we did almost nothing alone. When the counterculture arrived as a rebellion to conformity, we did that in herds, too. Conformity got looser but was still the rule -- we just had a larger menu. I'm not sure how much things have changed.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:08 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Conformist with a capital C. That was an underlying rule as to how to live and get along. The houses in my suburban subdivision were so similar that I walked into the wrong house coming home from school one day. The kids were in huge herds at school, little league, scouts, Sunday school, the local pool -- we did almost nothing alone. When the counterculture arrived as a rebellion to conformity, we did that in herds, too. Conformity got looser but was still the rule -- we just had a larger menu. I'm not sure how much things have changed.
Conformity is the rule almost everywhere you go.

Today, everybody is glued to a screen.

Non-conformists are a rare breed.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:17 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Not making light of his life, but from what I've heard about war, most of these men were thrilled to live mundane lives after surviving all of that overseas.
You're saying a highly-trained fighter pilot was thrilled to live a mundane life in a menial job in peacetime, just because they could put the war behind them?

If that was so thrilling, why didn't White combat war vets rush to grab jobs as elevator operators, trash collectors and street sweepers? Most were too busy going to college on the GI Bill. Guess who got left out of the GI Bill?

How easy do you think it is to get married and support a family on an elevator operator's wage, to say nothing of buying a house, like the fresh-out-of-college war vets did, and those who got decent-paying industrial jobs?

Old 05-06-2023, 06:53 AM

2,045 posts, read 786,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're saying a highly-trained fighter pilot was thrilled to live a mundane life in a menial job in peacetime, just because they could put the war behind them?

If that was so thrilling, why didn't White combat war vets rush to grab jobs as elevator operators, trash collectors and street sweepers? Most were too busy going to college on the GI Bill. Guess who got left out of the GI Bill?

How easy do you think it is to get married and support a family on an elevator operator's wage, to say nothing of buying a house, like the fresh-out-of-college war vets did, and those who got decent-paying industrial jobs?
Yeah, we get it - it was wrong.

What would you like to be done about it now?

Can you acknowledge that things were corrected and that 'opportunity' came along for everybody?

This country has bent over backwards to correct their 'original sin.'

Last edited by Hermit12; 05-06-2023 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2023, 08:10 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I grew up in the 50s and looking back, the mood was optimistic. The war was over and life got back to normal. Jobs were plentiful. My parents bought their first house right after my dad got out of the Air Force in 1949. They had 3 kids and my dad moved up in his job and my mother stayed home and kept house. My mom learned to drive. She got a clothes dryer. All was rosy.
That's kind of a child's perspective. What was on the news? What did folks argue about? What were adults worried about during the fifties?

Old 05-06-2023, 09:41 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammerjammer View Post
Less polluted? The air where I grew up in the 50's was frequently brown colored and so thick... you'd swear you could cut it with a knife. Made your throat burn and eyes water.

Thanks to catalytic converters and whatnot, the air today is extremely clean by comparison. Where did you hear that there was less pollution then?

There's a philosophical term known as "making perfect the enemy of the good". Aka moving the goalposts. We see this in the environmental movement today IMHO.
A lot of our perceptions of the '50s come from the old TV sitcoms that were popular at the time. In those shows, everything was always portrayed as clean and pristine. However, if you lived in a big city, the 50s through the 70s were the worst time for air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History