Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 12:58 PM

2,345 posts, read 853,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
There’s a lot of people with bloodlust and a superficial understanding of what happened during the war. It’s pretty shocking, honestly.

The reasons for the atomic bombings are complex and still up for debate. Ultimately they were probably unnecessary as Japan had already lost. But punishing a whole country and committing genocide because you think some of their military units crossed the line is…wow.
The decision to use the A Bomb was not complex. Truman's advisors and military brass told him that American losses would be around at least 50,000 if Japan was to be subdued by a war on land not to mention even greater losses amongst Japanese women and children. Tojo and his gang weren't inclined to believe in surrender. They still had large armies in Indo-China and the rest of the far east and they also knew that they faced the hangman once Japan surrendered

You would have had to be living back then to realize that the American and European public were sick and weary after 5 long years of war and deprivation and the loss of husbands, brothers and sons.

Japan sowed the seeds of it's destruction at Pearl Harbor, it's brutal occupation of the countries it invaded and the cold blooded cruelty to Allied POWs

All these stories about Bushido warfare and disgrace and dishonor to those who chose surrender instead of death were just excuses and a load of crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 07:07 AM

711 posts, read 294,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
There’s a lot of people with bloodlust and a superficial understanding of what happened during the war. It’s pretty shocking, honestly.

The reasons for the atomic bombings are complex and still up for debate. Ultimately they were probably unnecessary as Japan had already lost. But punishing a whole country and committing genocide because you think some of their military units crossed the line is…wow.
Revisionist history time I see.
There is not one shred of evidence that the atomic bombing was influenced by Japanese atrocities. Nor does the atomic bombing of Japan meet the definition of genocide as the goal wasn't to destroy a nation or ethnic group, but to end a war. Nor was Japan "already lost", yes I've heard all the arguments ("but Russia declared war", "but Japan was negotiating", "but but they were starving"...I am sure there are a number of threads in this forum about it so save the bandwidth) and none are convincing. The truth was the allies were preparing an invasion of the home island and Japan, with 3.5 million soldiers based there in 1945, were preparing for the invasion and a fight to the last as they did in Okinawa. That is not up for debate, but based on fact.
Talk about "superficial understanding"...

Old 07-03-2023, 07:16 AM

711 posts, read 294,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
American losses would be around at least 50,000 if Japan was to be subdued by a war on land not to mention even greater losses amongst Japanese women and children.
I think you missed a zero. Allied fatalities (not just casualties) in the invasion of Japan at one point were estimated to be 400,000 to 800,000. 5 to 10 million Japanese would have been killed.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:34 PM

2,345 posts, read 853,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I think you missed a zero. Allied fatalities (not just casualties) in the invasion of Japan at one point were estimated to be 400,000 to 800,000. 5 to 10 million Japanese would have been killed.
Having just watched "Hacksaw Ridge" I have to agree that you are right. The Japs were animals. I worked with a Marine WW2 vet and he told me that they had to literally burn them out of the caves with flame throwers because they simply refused to surrender

Old 07-04-2023, 09:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 877,615 times
An interesting side note about Unit 731 is Operation PX, a plan by the Japanese navy and commander of Unit 731 to attack the cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego using biological weapons. The plan was to use I-400 class submarines to launch airplanes which would spread bubonic plague, cholera, typhus, and dengue fever over the three cities. Planning was finalized in March 1945, but cancelled due to strong opposition by the Japanese Chief of General Staff, Yoshijirō Umezu.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:49 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Japan committed tons of atrocities during WWII that most never will know about. Even post WWII as Germany and other nations were being forced to account Japan never really apologized nor was punished. In fact USA, Austrialia and other nations seem to go out of their way in giving Japan a get out of jail card so to speak.

Survivors of Japan's horror camps (including murder of innocent UK, Commonwealth and Dutch women and children) was largely covered up, as were the rapes.

It wouldn't be until decades later that truth was told.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/women/e...atra-1942-1945

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangka_Island_massacre

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47796046
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History