Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times

Advertisements

Thank you so very much for this reminder. Shame on me that I did not remember. My Dad served in the Navy, stationed at Pearl, 3 uncles in the Navy served on battle ships. 2 cousins served in the Navy also. My DH is an Army Veteran. I have no excuse for not remembering. a salute to all of our men and women serving, past, present and future.

D-Day. Thank you to all for your sacrifices.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
[quote=Northwoods Voyager;4048561]Thank you so very much for this reminder. Shame on me that I did not remember. My Dad served in the Navy, stationed at Pearl, 3 uncles in the Navy served on battle ships. 2 cousins served in the Navy also. My DH is an Army Veteran. I have no excuse for not remembering. quote]

Don't be hard on yourself, D-Day was a single day's fighting in huge war. With all the sailors in your family maybe you should remember the anniversaries of Savo Island, The Phillipine Sea or Leyte Gulf.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM

172 posts, read 512,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Don't be hard on yourself, D-Day was a single day's fighting in huge war. With all the sailors in your family maybe you should remember the anniversaries of Savo Island, The Phillipine Sea or Leyte Gulf.
IrishTom is right.
The small remembrances are just as important. My uncle was at Tarawa just before Thanksgiving in '43, so when we celebrate Thanksgiving each year, we include a prayer for all the boys we lost there.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

I think D-Day's just an easy day to remember, much as December 7 is. No doubt many on both days suffered terribly but that would apply to most days during WW II.

I was a bit surprised that apparently none of the network news shows even made mention on the 6th. While I don't expect an announcement every night about remembering WW II I believe we can all benefit by taking some time a few days a year to remind ourselves both how evil and how good men can be.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
There were about 3000 Aussie's involved in D-day, But we were largely mixed into other Allied Divisons, Naval Fleets and Air Forces.
Thank you to your vets for their contribution!!
I've always been of the thought that if the French didn't lay down and surrender, collaborate with the Nazi's maybe the allies costs, in terms of lives lost, would not have been so dear.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Thank you so very much for this reminder. Shame on me that I did not remember. My Dad served in the Navy, stationed at Pearl, 3 uncles in the Navy served on battle ships. 2 cousins served in the Navy also. My DH is an Army Veteran. I have no excuse for not remembering. a salute to all of our men and women serving, past, present and future.

D-Day. Thank you to all for your sacrifices.
Many navy men in my family as well.
My uncle was KIA on the USS Juneau in the battle for Guadacanal...on a Friday the 13th in November

This was the ship immortalized because the 5 Sullivan Brothers all served aboard.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thank you to your vets for their contribution!!
I've always been of the thought that if the French didn't lay down and surrender, collaborate with the Nazi's maybe the allies costs, in terms of lives lost, would not have been so dear.

Yes, I often wonder what if? What if Hitler's march into the Rhineland in 1936, prohibited by the Treaty of Versailles, had been stopped? WW II may have been something we still feared occurring someday in the future.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
I wish the American people were told by the media that 9000 lives were lost by the Allies on that beach. Compare that to 4000 in Iraq/Afghanistan over five years.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

The French were whipped by the Germans, they didn't simply "lay down". Easy for Americans to talk tough, we don't border on Germany nor did we suffer the losses the French suffered in the Great War.

Hell, we lack the will to stop the Mexicans, much less Germans.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The French were whipped by the Germans, they didn't simply "lay down". Easy for Americans to talk tough, we don't border on Germany nor did we suffer the losses the French suffered in the Great War.

Hell, we lack the will to stop the Mexicans, much less Germans.
They virtually laid down....I can understand that if over powered
After which they collaborated and on the orders of Vichy France rounded up and turned over to the Nazis their Jewish citizens!!

That said I have the upmost admiration for those that risked their own lives to hide Jews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History