Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:01 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I wish the American people were told by the media that 9000 lives were lost by the Allies on that beach. Compare that to 4000 in Iraq/Afghanistan over five years.
Different time different war! there are many Americans who do NOT agree with what is happening in Iraq or Afghanistan

Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 PM

172 posts, read 511,994 times
It's been my understanding that the Germans were successful against the French for several reasons.

The French believed the Maginot Line was an adequate defense and that the Germans could not invade thru the 'impenetrable' Ardenne Forest.

The French leadership were experienced, but their experience came from WW I. The French had endured the threat of invasion from Germany for many years so they were always a little skiddish. Their tactics were outdated and the leaders were without the will to fight.

When the Germans flooded thru the Ardenne and just waltzed around the Maginot Line, the *** was up. The French had no chioce but to surrender.

Last edited by TraderJack; 06-11-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

172 posts, read 511,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Different time different war! there are many Americans who do NOT agree with what is happening in Iraq or Afghanistan
I believe that the major disagreement you talk about has been kindled by the press.

There has been very little accurate news reporting fron Iraq and when the news does get aired, it has become a constant flow of misinformation, with the slant of the network that produces it. Generally that 'slant' is very liberal and anti-war.

The war was sanctioned by many members of Congress. But when no WMDs were found, they all backpeddled and ran for cover. Then the name calling and finger pointing began.

I don't like war. I don't know anybody that likes war. But sometimes we must fight wars. This may be a war of choice, but the conditions and justifications were clear and well understood by all.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
They virtually laid down....I can understand that if over powered
After which they collaborated and on the orders of Vichy France rounded up and turned over to the Nazis their Jewish citizens!!
The French had about 217,000 soldiers killed, hardly laying down. The United States had about 417,000 killed over a much longer period of time.

In The Great War the French had about 1,400,000 soldiers killed and from a population of only 40 million. Lots of orphans and widows. We lost around 117,000.

Before judging the French too harshly one must ask how we would react to losses like they suffered.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
In The Great War the French had about 1,400,000 soldiers killed and from a population of only 40 million.
Before judging the French too harshly one must ask how we would react to losses like they suffered.
They reacted to their horrendous losses by giving up the next time. Their best were lost in the trenches in WW1. The ones who survived were often the ones who weaseled out some way and thus was born the modern Frenchman. This is perhaps a bit harsh, but there is much truth in what I have just posted.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 PM

[quote=Bideshi;4068171]They reacted to their horrendous losses by giving up the next time. Their best were lost in the trenches in WW1. The ones who survived were often the ones who weaseled out some way and thus was born the modern Frenchman. This is perhaps a bit harsh, but there is much truth in what I have just posted.[/QUOTE

I do agree with you on this

Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
I believe that the major disagreement you talk about has been kindled by the press.

There has been very little accurate news reporting fron Iraq and when the news does get aired, it has become a constant flow of misinformation, with the slant of the network that produces it. Generally that 'slant' is very liberal and anti-war.

The war was sanctioned by many members of Congress. But when no WMDs were found, they all backpeddled and ran for cover. Then the name calling and finger pointing began.

I don't like war. I don't know anybody that likes war. But sometimes we must fight wars. This may be a war of choice, but the conditions and justifications were clear and well understood by all.
truer words never said.....it's sad how the press can twist & warp to suit their own agendas!! I just want the truth...

Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
They reacted to their horrendous losses by giving up the next time. Their best were lost in the trenches in WW1. The ones who survived were often the ones who weaseled out some way and thus was born the modern Frenchman. This is perhaps a bit harsh, but there is much truth in what I have just posted.

And you can quote historical authority to show that anything you say above is factual?

Otherwise some might think that the anti-French thought is in action simply because they, along with many other nations, knew there were no WMDs in a certain country and refused to go to war on a false premise.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
And you can quote historical authority to show that anything you say above is factual?

Otherwise some might think that the anti-French thought is in action simply because they, along with many other nations, knew there were no WMDs in a certain country and refused to go to war on a false premise.
why can't we stick to the war on topic
WW II and the French have nothing to do with the French's current stance on Iraq

Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I understand there's often a relationship between history and modern politics but I try to avoid politics in this forum and discuss them at the political forum, helps keep things civil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.