Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to generalize here about ALL the countries in Europe that claimed to be neutral during World War II. I don't believe any were , but I don't want to specifically pick on just the one I'm residing in at the moment, which is SWEDEN. I believe Switzerland , Spain & Portugal were equally guilty, but some more than others. I'll post more in a few moments.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
The Dutch wanted to be as neutral as they were in WWI.
Alas, Nazi-Germany did not respect the Dutch's wish to be neutral.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The Dutch wanted to be as neutral as they were in WWI.
Alas, Nazi-Germany did not respect the Dutch's wish to be neutral.
Well, here's a bit of an appetizer to start off with a historical view of a Mr Eugene Fischer (Creator of Eugenics). He founded the first Race Biological Institute in Uppsala, Sweden in 1922. this was two years prior to it's sister Research fascility in Berlin, Germany in 1924. Anyway, it's an interesting education on who the man was and the chain of events he sent off with his warped theories on racial purity.

http://www.westmanmusic.com/Namibia/indexEngelsk.htm

Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Well, ironically enough, America was neutral in the beginning, albeit with a more than obvious tilt/favortism towards Great Britain.

The USSR began as a collaborator.

France and Great Britain began as appeasers, but belatedly turned belligerents.

Sweden allowed the Wehrmacht to cross their territory when invading Norway, so how they see themselves as neutral is beyond me. But once must acknowledge the efforts of Raoul Wallenberg in saving lots of Jews from the death camps.

Switzerland was neutral although how they could refuse to pick a side between the democracies and the fascists, especially when they are a democracy as well, is another mystery.

Spain was certainly chummy with Hitler despite being neutral.

Portugal? Well they were way off the radar screen.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,408 times
The Swedes were mobilized and ready to fight-but in a very awkward position.

Germany to the West, Soviets to the East, they had to be neutral-though they sold steel and such to the Germans-little choice for them.

Spain was a non-belligerent ally of the Axis, and sent troops to the Eastern Front-the Blue Division-and harbored U-Boats, but Hitler was very angry with Franco for not entering the War.

Ireland was neutral, but Irish spies aided the Germans, and they also gave haven to U-Boats.

Argentina likewise aided the Axis Brazil's contribution to the Allied side was mainly keeping a check on them.

Switzerland had little choice, surrounded by Fachist powers, they proved most useful all around by being a diplomatic hub-Hitler had nearly decided to invade them, early in the war.

These nations had hard choices to make.

Finland joined the Axis because it had no other ally to choose, having just fought a hard war with the Soviets.

Spain was recovering from the Civil War-Franco wisely chose to stay out, and survived.

The Swedes had a small army at the time they allowed the Germans to pass-had they fought, they would have been occupied-they then used the time to build an army to fight if forced to, but a quick look at the map shows the desperation of their plight.

The Swiss took advantage of the war to plunder the assets of Jews in their banks-a shame for them to this day, as much has never been returned to rightful heirs.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
The Irish Free State was neutral. It did not provide haven to B-boats however it wouldn't allow the Royal Navy to use Irish ports as bases to hunt U-boats; something not unreasonable for a neutral.

Note that more than 40,000 citizens of the Free State volunteered for and fought in the British armed forces. Which led to a captian of the Royal Irish Fusiliers hearing this quip from a foxhole while under German shelling; "well one thing I'll say for Dev, he kept us out of this ****ing war!"

Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
The Swedes were mobilized and ready to fight-but in a very awkward position.

Germany to the West, Soviets to the East, they had to be neutral-though they sold steel and such to the Germans-little choice for them.

Argentina likewise aided the Axis Brazil's contribution to the Allied side was mainly keeping a check on them.
So what? Britian was in an awkward position as well. Who wasn't?

Interesting you mention Brazil. My grandfather was stationed there and flew for the navy hunting U-Boats.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think, if memory serves me right, the Swiss Air Force had several dogfights with the Luftwaffe.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The Irish Free State was neutral. It did not provide haven to B-boats however it wouldn't allow the Royal Navy to use Irish ports as bases to hunt U-boats; something not unreasonable for a neutral.

Note that more than 40,000 citizens of the Free State volunteered for and fought in the British armed forces. Which led to a captian of the Royal Irish Fusiliers hearing this quip from a foxhole while under German shelling; "well one thing I'll say for Dev, he kept us out of this ****ing war!"
I am inclined to agree with you here Tom. Ireland had no love for the Brits, and I don't really think they had much of any kind of historical conflict with the Gerries. Was that WWI or WWII where the 40,000 volunteered?

But I would have to say Ireland was more neutral than most.

Cheers

Old 07-26-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, ironically enough, America was neutral in the beginning, albeit with a more than obvious tilt/favortism towards Great Britain.
Actually, it's hard to supply war materials to someone and say you are neutral, but I understand what you mean here by actual declaration of war and troop involvement/comitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
The USSR began as a collaborator.
Yeah, but they probably would have started some kind of war anyway even without a Nazi Germany. Considering their ideology & their own dictator Kook with his own ambitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
France and Great Britain began as appeasers, but belatedly turned belligerents.
You can really blame BOTH of them for allowing circumstances to develope where there was an enviornment created inside Germany that made it easy for a twisted charismatic nut spouting promises of German National pride, economy, etc to gain power. Germany was over punished for World War I and the Reparation Payments were an insane burden on them when you consider the Great Depression, rediculous Inflation, etc, etc, etc.

Then this idiot comes along and says, "If I get to power, I'm immediately going to stop all payments", that certainly ticlkes the ears of the average citizens who still fill the sting of the loss from the war and humiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History