Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is an unprecedented opportunity for America to lead the world and use its unrivaled superpower presence to actually disarm other nations through peaceful brokering of non aggression and arms reduction agreements, has any of that happened?

The exact opposite is true. The United States is atop the list of rogue nations, it starts unprovoked wars, is the worst polluter of the planet, denies global warming is largely man made, and now tortures those caught up in its dragnets all around the world, holding many of these people indefinitely and without charges.

The United States is building hatred and terrorism, and those who are doing it are seeing profits from it. Oil profits, the outsourcing of war, the securing of other nations resources, and the military industrial complex all spell huge windfalls for those who lead this nation today. All while increasing an exorbitant deficit and giving tax breaks to the most wealthy

These dont have to be the worst of times, we largely make them this way through military adventurism, polluting the planet, and inspiring other nations and religions to hate the U.S. by the subjugation of those weaker than us.
Nice rant. While the US isn't perfect, your attempt to paint us as one of the worst nations in the world is laughable. P.S. North Korea DID disarm their nuke program but only after we got tough with them and not when we were appeasing them via Carter (who got a medal for disarming them while they lied and built nukes)

Global warming? Yep, maybe we can sign a nice piece of paper and then ignore it like the EU has. Then we can pat ourselves on the back.

We are horrible for having a few hundred detainees in Cuba...the vast majority of which are not innocent goat herders. Yep, perhaps not the best but again....you know what the Russians would have done in Afghanistan? Maybe kill or drive out 1/2 the countries population? Please try to have some perspective and balance. We certainly do things wrong but it seems some people want to score big political gains by bashing us. (I'm guessing you as a straight ticket Dem based upon your comments...congratulations on your impartiality)

P.S. I find it ironic that you abuse us as a big polluter and big oil for making profits. Gee, if we use a bunch of oil and drive up it's price....I wonder if anyone will make money? <ugh> Or is it you don't think companies should make profits? Let me know how that whole communism thing works out for helping people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nice rant. While the US isn't perfect, your attempt to paint us as one of the worst nations in the world is laughable. P.S. North Korea DID disarm their nuke program but only after we got tough with them and not when we were appeasing them via Carter (who got a medal for disarming them while they lied and built nukes)

Global warming? Yep, maybe we can sign a nice piece of paper and then ignore it like the EU has. Then we can pat ourselves on the back.

We are horrible for having a few hundred detainees in Cuba...the vast majority of which are not innocent goat herders. Yep, perhaps not the best but again....you know what the Russians would have done in Afghanistan? Maybe kill or drive out 1/2 the countries population? Please try to have some perspective and balance. We certainly do things wrong but it seems some people want to score big political gains by bashing us. (I'm guessing you as a straight ticket Dem based upon your comments...congratulations on your impartiality)

P.S. I find it ironic that you abuse us as a big polluter and big oil for making profits. Gee, if we use a bunch of oil and drive up it's price....I wonder if anyone will make money? <ugh> Or is it you don't think companies should make profits? Let me know how that whole communism thing works out for helping people.
I knew there were some FOX News watchers on the forum, I see one has chimed in.

Unfortunately, FOX doesn't tell you the truth, and they have a name for what they feed you, it's called "propaganda", please look up the meaning of the word sometime.

As to the rest of your flag waving, I hate for reality to intrude upon your contributions to the topic, but for the reality based community, it's what we have to deal with.

The EU is not "ignoring" global warming, it's China and India, so you might want to review your talking points, you got your message a little mixed up.

We have more than a "few hundred" detainee's in Cuba, we have many thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of them guilty of nothing other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some are the victims of "bad intelligence", many fingered as "terrorists" by their own countrymen for personal vendetta's.

How's this for "balance and perspective": Over 4 million people in Iraq have been forced to flee their homes for their lives. Many are living with relatives in enclaves where they no longer are mixed with Sunni/Shia, a problem that never existed before our invasion. Afghanistan stays under the radar but we have built no goodwill with our actions their either.

As far as the "worst times", I can say that Democracy in America has not been under assault like this since the Civil War, and the people in charge are trying to take away our freedoms while they bankrupt us in their looting of the Treasury.

I never voted for the neocons, not once, but millions of my fellow Americans did, not once, but twice. And many remain oblivious to the damage they have caused not only the U.S. but the entire world.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
I knew there were some FOX News ...flag waving, ...Iraq and Afghanistan...Over 4 million people in Iraq have been forced to flee their homes ...people in charge are trying to take away our freedoms while they bankrupt us in their looting of the Treasury...neocons....
Um, what was the topic again? Politics forum is in that direction (points down)....you'll be right at home. Since your a newbie I can understand how you are confused in these forums. But there you can talk about Iraq, Cheney, the evil U.S., neocons, global warning, and all that fun stuff to your hearts content or until you bust a blood vessel in anger.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Um, what was the topic again? Politics forum is in that direction (points down)....you'll be right at home. Since your a newbie I can understand how you are confused in these forums. But there you can talk about Iraq, Cheney, the evil U.S., neocons, global warning, and all that fun stuff to your hearts content or until you bust a blood vessel in anger.
Well, you best not venture in "down there" if you believe in fairy tales, cause I will disabuse you of those beliefs with a healthy dose of reality and truth.

Now please excuse me while I go and work on having an aneurysm

Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I knew there were some FOX News watchers on the forum, I see one has chimed in.

Unfortunately, FOX doesn't tell you the truth, and they have a name for what they feed you, it's called "propaganda", please look up the meaning of the word sometime.

As to the rest of your flag waving, I hate for reality to intrude upon your contributions to the topic, but for the reality based community, it's what we have to deal with.

The EU is not "ignoring" global warming, it's China and India, so you might want to review your talking points, you got your message a little mixed up.

We have more than a "few hundred" detainee's in Cuba, we have many thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of them guilty of nothing other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some are the victims of "bad intelligence", many fingered as "terrorists" by their own countrymen for personal vendetta's.

How's this for "balance and perspective": Over 4 million people in Iraq have been forced to flee their homes for their lives. Many are living with relatives in enclaves where they no longer are mixed with Sunni/Shia, a problem that never existed before our invasion. Afghanistan stays under the radar but we have built no goodwill with our actions their either.

As far as the "worst times", I can say that Democracy in America has not been under assault like this since the Civil War, and the people in charge are trying to take away our freedoms while they bankrupt us in their looting of the Treasury.

I never voted for the neocons, not once, but millions of my fellow Americans did, not once, but twice. And many remain oblivious to the damage they have caused not only the U.S. but the entire world.
Actually, I find FOX news to be garbage and I didn't vote for Bush either. Pretty much your entire post was a content free rant that didn't address any of the actual points.

As someone noted, this is history and not politics. Your desire to paint the US in as bad of a light as possible for political gain is duly noted...the irony of you railing against Fox as screwed up and biased (true) is not lost on me.

With regards to global warming, the EU is doing what the EU does best....talk and make laws that they then procede to not follow. Again, you dodged the topic and resorted to name calling....please don't....used facts and document your sources where possible.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Now please excuse me while I go and work on having an aneurysm
I wouldn't wish that on anyone....but I believe based upon your posts that it is already too late.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Between the Black Plague and The Spanish Inquisition I dont think any recent century could be called as bad as back then. Unless you were a European Jew circa 1933-1945. I look at the 1960s with mixed feelings. Rampant drug experimentation was not good but some of the ideals of the 60s are now facts of life ie Civil rights, womens rights and ending the draft.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Rampant drug experimentation was not good but some of the ideals of the 60s are now facts of life ie Civil rights, womens rights and ending the draft.
Interesting what people could come up with while under the influence

Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,889 times
And to top it all. You think this "Credit Crunch" is bad enough, look closer......its in my lifetime!! I've had to go through it, big mistake America, thanks for your Freddie Macs, your Fannie Maes and the mortage market there!!

America you won't be forgotten for your horrendous spending and stupidity. And don't cry fowl of Pearl Harbor in '41 or 9/11, look closer, the US started both of these outcomes by greed and complete foreign control.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:46 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. Um, we aren't even close to the worst times in this century and certainly not in the history of the world. (laughable even)

Go to your local library and read about Slavery
Pick up The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
Read a book about the Great Depression
Google Battle of the Somme
Black Plague
Go read up on what the Romans did for entertainment...and I'm not talking about that whimpy stylized movie with Russel Crowe in it but rather feeding actual defensless old people to lions for ENTERTAINMENT (and much much worse <gulp>)
Very true, I agree! This is not no where near being the "worst" times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History