Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,807 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I still could not believe nobody mentioned Mongol Empire, the largest contiguous empire in history and an empire built on sheer brutal military force, an Empire with much bigger potentials than historically realized, which was already of mind-boggling historical proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
An empire is ruled by an emperor, rather than a mere king. Napoleon III of France installed Maximilian as "emperor" of Mexico in 1864--although you don't hear much about any Mexican Empire!
Are you disavowing the British Empire on that basis?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
The first one that comes to my mind is the Ottoman Empire because my mother's family lived under their rule prior to coming to the US in the 1920's. They changed peoples' names and spread Islam throughout the Balkans. To this day, I have family members that never converted back to Christianity from Islam, whereas other, like my grandfather, did. He changed his name back to his birthname when he came through Ellis Island. Needless to say, he wasn't too fond of the Turks.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,132,178 times
Yes, the turks got their power because the worlds trade routes had to pass thru their turf. They had Russia pinned with the Black Sea and Caspian routes. The Europeans were blocked from India and China by the Ottoman Empire, always a thorn in their side too. This is what drove early explorers like Vasco De Gama and Columbus to bypass them. Its a shame so much valuable historical information was lost when Constantinople fell in the 1500s. Many archives about christianity and the eastern roman empire were destroyed by the islamic invaders.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Of course that is the "British Empire"

Spain is another story...it was ruled by Islamic Moors for centuries...finally re conqured by the Spainards...their "Empire" was based mainly on gold and silver from the "New World" and did not last as long as the other Empires...after its downfall, it was called "The Sick Man of Europe" for a long time.
I always thought that "The Sick Man of Europe" was the Ottoman Empire?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Several more empires:

Armenian Empire, Trebizond Empire, Haitian Empire, Empire of Brazil, Central African Empire, Japanese Empire (the only monarchy left with an emperor).

Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I always thought that "The Sick Man of Europe" was the Ottoman Empire?
You are the second person that has pointed this out...so I did a little research, as I know I had read someplace that Spain was called that also. Here is what I found:
Sick man of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, I have to agree that the Ottoman Empire is right, because the other countries that have been called "Sick Man" are pretty recent..
I stand corrected!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Of course that is the "British Empire"

Spain is another story...it was ruled by Islamic Moors for centuries...finally re conqured by the Spainards...their "Empire" was based mainly on gold and silver from the "New World" and did not last as long as the other Empires...after its downfall, it was called "The Sick Man of Europe" for a long time.

well, not actually. Yeah, most of the Iberian Peninsula was under Muslim rule, except from small Northern kingdoms. They fought the Moors and succesfully defeated them taking about 8 centuries, that's why the Reconquista is considered the longest war ever fought.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:07 PM

163 posts, read 320,834 times
The best empire ever to have existed and is still kind of around today (commonwealth) was the British Empire!!

God Save The Queen

Last edited by oldblueeyes01; 11-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
The british empire like all colonialism of western europe was muchh l;ike slavery. It sucked the colonies dry. It has been responsibler for much of the problems thru out the 20th centuries.It was driectly resposiblefor tweo world war that in the ned detroyed much of europe and brought about the start of teh end of those empires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History