Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times

Advertisements

Although most of us on here love all history i think most have a favorite time era or period or even an historic event that you most enjoy studying and discussing about.

For me my interest has always been Western European history from Roman Emperor Constantine I in 300 A.D. to the last of the Viking invasions in 1000 A.D. i especially like the last 100 years of the Roman Empire 376-476 A.D. as my favorite Emperor's are Valens, Honorius and Valentinian III and also the German Barbarian invaders i.e. the Huns, Goths, Vandals, Franks and Lombards and how they forever changed Western Europe before and after the Empire fell.

What your favorite time era or era's??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 164,725 times
Tudor England, US Civil War, & Egyptian history......

You can only imagine how much knowledge was lost with the burning of the great library in Alexandria....sad. I'm always amazed at how much history we have to re-learn. Think of the progress in Egypt, aqua-ducts, batteries, etc, but all the knowledge was lost and had to be re-learned/re-discovered.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Any ancient history - but mostly Roman, Greek, Egyptian or Mesopotamian.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,886 times
Love learning about history from 1450-1919. Favorite would be the Regency Era followed by (in order of interest)...Victorian, Georgian, Baroque, Elizabethan, Renaissance, and Edwardian.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Roughly about six thousand years back, in Mesopotamia.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:50 PM

166 posts, read 705,259 times
I've always been interested in 18th and early 19th American and European history... the architecture, literature, art, philosophy and wars from this time period seem to draw me in more than any other time period for some reason.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
My favorite historical time period is.....dawn.

Dawn is when many of the great military assaults have begun...the Alamo fell just as the sun was rising, D-Day began at daybreak, the Battle of the Crater began when the pre dawn darkness was shattered by the flash of the massive underground explosion.

Historical dawns have been celebrated in the arts....Francis Scott Key asked if you could still see the flag in the dawn's early light. Dawn Patrol was the classic film about WW I aviation, Zulu Dawn told the story of the greatest victory ever by a foe without free arms over a modern technological army, The Dawns Here Are Quiet is the most frequently remade and restaged drama related to the Soviets in The Great Patriotic War, Red Dawn told the imaginary story of a Russian invasion of the USA, Sunrise at Campobello was the saga of FDR overcoming his polio.

Afternoon and evening...they just don't compare. Little wonder that tribute to dawn was paid by Frankie Valle and the Four Seasons, or that Tony Orlando decided to name his backup singers for the mornings.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Everybody has some interesting era's from the Tudors, Romans, Greeks, Cival War, Mesapotamia to the Renaissance etc..

Yeap Grandstander i hear you about ''Dawn'' as something about the sun rising is powerful to me. Maybe it's different wavelengths that are striking our eyes and stimulating the pituitary gland revs us up to do battle.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,742 times
Oh gosh, I enjoy all sorts of eras. I love tracing the roles women have played in different cultures, since the dawn of time. Ancient Egyptian history intrigues me, I got to travel to Egypt once and that was a trip of a lifetime! I was already in love with the people of the pyramids, but even more so after that trip!

I also love to study Celtic history, and I'm an avid fan of St. Patrick of Ireland (I'm half Irish and my bday falls on his feast day).

Learning about the sultans and Arabic history is also intriguing to me. As is Native American history and what life was like here on the North American continent before Columbus. I also love the books by Jane Austen, so learning about when she was alive helps there.

Mostly, I just love to learn about different places, times and cultures. It is hard to pick just one or two! History just comes alive for me!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I would say the post-colonial era in South America would be pretty fascinating. I'd love to be plugged into Jorge Luis Borges' imagination as he contemplates the era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History