Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The poor were not directly affected by the crash. They were affected later when the people who were immediately impacted passed along their losses by foreclosing on the homes and the land of the poor.
..and that's why the stock market crash was such a great day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Although I think alcohol is one of the greatest dangers facing the American public, I think the day Prohibition was repealed is one of the few great days in American History. It is a rare day when all the people wake up in the morning with more (rather than less) personal freedom than they had the night before. In fact, that might have been the only such day. It even carried with it a certain inertia---people still say "Prohibition didn't work" when somebody starts bleating about banning this or that personal freedom that they have a personal objection to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
..and that's why the stock market crash was such a great day?
I stated in my original post that the stock market crash was a day of hope and promise, even though it didn't have the most beneficial result. Someone else said 9/11---that "coming together", 7 years later, turned into a 2% approval rating for the guy who brought us together and message boards full of posts projecting doom and gloom. VJ Day was almost as bad for businessmen as the stock market crash was, since they were all war profiteers, and had to suddenly devise ways of sticking it to the civilians, an occasion they quickly rose to.

No matter how many silver linings we try to find in the roiling black clouds, two steps back is invariably our true manifest destiny. It's those one-step forward days that are the good days, but they always get undone.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-19-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM

16,680 posts, read 17,453,358 times
How about when, in July 1969, Apollo 11 landed on the moon and Armstrong stepped out, accomplished within the ambitious timeframe JFK had talked about?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
How about when, in July 1969, Apollo 11 landed on the moon and Armstrong stepped out, accomplished within the ambitious timeframe JFK had talked about?
I thought he said something about "Mankind", not America. There is a difference. Was Yuri Gagarin an equally great day for America? Daimler? Montgolfier? Watson and Crick? Or do we define "great day" for America as a day when Americans can gloat with smug pride?

Last edited by jtur88; 01-19-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM

594 posts, read 1,779,942 times
Default What was the best day ...

I would suggest that December 15, 1791, when the American Bill of Rights was ratified, certainly stands out as one of the salient days in American history. The Bill of Rights stands with the Magna Carta (1215) and the English Bill of Rights (1689) as one of the progressive documents protecting the liberties of private citizens. Unfortunately, George Mason, the principal author and prime mover is little remembered today.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I agree. An extraordinary accomplishment of science, technology, organization, and national will.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM

But the Apollo 11 was only one event in a long series of numerous incremental advances in the exploration of space, no more remarkable, scientifically, than any of the others before and since.

Further, it would have been an even greater day if the same resolve had been applied to a compelling need here on the surface of this planet.

It is praiseworthy, though, that this was probably the last project, public or private sector, that was ever done on time and under budget.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
But the Apollo 11 was only one event in a long series of numerous incremental advances in the exploration of space, no more remarkable, scientifically than any of the others.
So? If you are being pedantic, you could say that about almost any achievement of the human imagination. It was a culmination of a very remarkable effort, and the fulfillment of an incredibly bold vision. A shame we haven't continued our explanation of space on the same scale.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So? If you are being pedantic, you could say that about almost any achievement of the human imagination. It was a culmination of a very remarkable effort, and the fulfillment of an incredibly bold vision. A shame we haven't continued our explanation of space on the same scale.
I'm saying that I did not benefit one whit from men landing on the moon, nor did anyone else I knowr To me, a great day for America is one that makes everyday life for the American people better. It gave us nothing more than bragging rights, which we already had (and profusely used) a superabundance of.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that I did not benefit one whit from men landing on the moon, nor did anyone else I knowr To me, a great day for America is one that makes everyday life for the American people better. It gave us nothing more than bragging rights, which we already had (and profusely used) a superabundance of.
A silly answer. As if all money would have made a difference to the already generous Great Society program, a program that wound up being a catastrophic failure that gutted our cities, crippled the economy, and actually expanded the underclass in this country. At least the space program yielded a trove of technological benefits that have improved medicine, communications, computing, agriculture and a thousand other areas of everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History