Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Grant could have never accomplished what he did did he not have the numerical advantage of manpower and resources. So I guess, yeah, that made him a great stategist.
We don't know that for sure. We never saw him without those advantages. There is no means of telling how well or poorly he might have done save speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Lee and Jackson were fine with set piece Napolianics battles. Once Grant and Sherman started modern frontal warfare they were finished. Rifled Artillery, Repeating Rifles and Gatling Guns were inflicting casualties at 10-1.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Lee and Jackson were fine with set piece Napolianics battles. Once Grant and Sherman started modern frontal warfare they were finished. Rifled Artillery, Repeating Rifles and Gatling Guns were inflicting casualties at 10-1.
This is all over the place. What is this 'frontal warfare' you speak of? You mean frontal assault? The kind that Napoleon used, that is, which was also pretty much what Grant and Sherman did--find the enemy and attack him? Do you believe that the South lacked rifled artillery, or that rifled artillery was automatically superior in all ways? Which battles did Gatling guns win for a numerically weaker side in the Civil War? The one item in this odd post that has some weight is that about repeating rifles, so let's explore that: by Appomattox, what percentage of the Union infantry had repeaters? I would be very interested to know that.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:00 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
With THAT said though (LOL), even Grant himself admitted that the Southern soldiers were worth 3-1 of his own.
You'd best cite a reliable source for that one.

In any event the Yankees whipped the southerners with far less advantage than 3-1 on the battlefield. Now if the Rebels had been as deadly and resolute as the German army still was in 1945......

Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You'd best cite a reliable source for that one.

Federal POW Propaganda by Gail Jarvis

Yeah, you are right, I gotta find the original quote...

Quote:
In any event the Yankees whipped the southerners with far less advantage than 3-1 on the battlefield. Now if the Rebels had been as deadly and resolute as the German army still was in 1945......
C'mon ITom, give me just one instance where the y'all ever beat us force to force? I can give lots otherwise.

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-25-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:

C'mon ITom, give me just one instance where the y'all ever beat us force to force? I can give lots otherwise.
I can't think of any offhand though I know there were instances. In any event it's no vice to have numbers on your side, if you have then you use them. And truely superior armies and generals win wars against greater numbers rather than lose. Had Lee been as talented, and the southern fighting man as superior as is often claimed they'd have won. But then Lee was the only good army commander the Confederacy produced and it takes more than one good commander to win a war.

Note too that the western Yankees lost only one major battle, Chickamauga, and that the Yankees were outnumbered there and inflicted higher losses than they sustained.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Note too that the western Yankees lost only one major battle, Chickamauga, and that the Yankees were outnumbered there and inflicted higher losses than they sustained.
Sounds like Antietam, only that wasn't technically a Confederate "loss" and they were MUCH more outnumbered...

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
I know that Lee was fond of assaults and his army suffered accordingly; the Seven Days, Antietam, Gettysburg and Fort Stedman show his penchant for straight ahead hammering when there was no alternative. Nothing wrong with that, as ole Forrest said war means fighting.
Well, Gettysburg is the primary example of a frontal assault that Lee made that wasn't necessary (ie. "No Alternative").

Just the example you cited at Appomatox he REALLY had no choice. It was that, or surrender.... (Turns out he surrendered anyway, but... )

BTW... What frontal assault are you referring to at Antietam?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Were gattling guns even ever used in combat? Certainly not in an offensive role.
Repeating rifles were limited to the calvary I think and although effective I don't think the role was decisive to any battle.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
BTW... What frontal assault are you referring to at Antietam?

The ding-dong fighting in the area bounded by the three woodlots was one frontal assault after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History