Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
The History Channel should be renamed The Propaganda Channel
That applies to all channels. They are all presented by Big Brother, and serve only the purpose of telling us what the establishment wants us to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That applies to all channels. They are all presented by Big Brother, and serve only the purpose of telling us what the establishment wants us to hear.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler6 View Post
It seems to me that everytime I tune in hoping to find a nice documentary program on a period of history or an historic event or historic figure (not just American history, not just WWII, not just JFK assassination), I instead find Pawn Stars or Ice Road Truckers or UFO Hunters or Gangland or some other crappy show with no direct link to what most of us would consider "history."
I think the History Channel discovered early on that legitimate historical programming (the kind you and I would like to see) doesn't generate a whole lot of interest. Most Americans are automatically turned off as soon as they see the word "history." And so HC is trying to lure viewership by aiming straight for the lowest common denominator.

It's more likely they'll change the name of the network before they change their programming. Anyone want to take bets that the Ice Road Trucker Channel pulls in more viewers?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
It amazes me that shows like Ice Road truckers, Axe Men, & Deadliest Catch gain an audience. How boring must your life be to think that watching someone else do their job for an hour is "entertainment."

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Sadly true...Ice Road Truckers would definately beat a show on The Thirty Years War of the Vienna Conference

Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Up till about 6-7 years ago it was very good, it actually had HISTORY programming on during the day and not 10 hours of Axe Men or Ice Road Truckers. They had things like Haunted History for friday nights, and during the mornings would have a couple of Civil War and Old West programs, then for the rest they would have WWII and Hitler everything.

It was called the History Channel for a reason!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:20 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
The History Channel should be renamed The Propaganda Channel
My daughter refers to it as The War Channel.

I don't watch it much any more. The people in charge of programming can't seem to get anything right. On the anniversary of the event, there was nothing on about the JFK assassination on. I've seen this happen on several different event anniversaries.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It amazes me that shows like Ice Road truckers, Axe Men, & Deadliest Catch gain an audience. How boring must your life be to think that watching someone else do their job for an hour is "entertainment."
This is true, although let's face it: nobody is going to tune in to a program following the daily routine of a secretary, or a beautician, or an office manager. (At least, not until you can add some combination of action, violence, or sex into the mix).

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
It's like most of television or a mine...you have to be very discriminating, dig deep, look hard, look often, but occasionally, you'll find a nugget.

As time goes, it looks more and more like the mine's just about played out...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
As time goes, it looks more and more like the mine's just about played out...
Indeed. Cable hardly lives up to its original promise. There's not much point in having hundreds of channels when the same garbage shows up on all of them! And with pretty much the same number of commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History