Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,854 times

Advertisements

Perhaps they would have become like South Africa under apartheid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
I think that the south would have effectively become a colony of England - reliant on it for capital and trailing in its political orbit like many south american countries. The north would have benefited economically, the south was long a drag on the US economy as well as progressive legislation. What would have happened to the south is hard to say. By the 20th century at the latest cotton would have ceased to be a major economic boon.

The war would have left the region in the hands of a planter class unable to see the value of industrialization, with much of the population an uneducated, demoralized slave class who would have been useless in factories let alone high technology. Education, tarrifs, and internal improvements (electricty anyone) would have languished and with it the building blocks of the economy. By the thirties the south would have been a third world state.
Nonsense. Cotton was King. The North was a drag on the South.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Leading up to the present time - Slavery would have ended in the late 19th century regardless, in the south. The south would have undergone a period of imperialism and instability - Cuba and more chunks of Mexico would have been annexed. Other states would have broken off and declared independence and waring would occur between these states and possibly again with the northern union. The CSA would decline to third world status.

All these conclusion are from my readings of the political climate and thoughts of it's leaders in the CSA - designs on Cuba, state government bickering and talks of independence (i.e. Georgia) with Richmond, the process of eventual manumation of slaves in Brazil, etc.

Things would have eventually settled down in the mid 20th century as I see the loose group of confederate states (probably more than one nation) rejoining the U.S. The U.S. would be poorer, less powerful, less industrious as a result of the CSA winning.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO ,NO, NO, NO....

I simply cannot do this again.....

Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Instead of worrying about Mexicans sneaking across the border for better opportunities and living conditions, it would be Billy Bob and Joe Ed who are the problems.
What are you talking about?

Billy Bob and Joe Ed (gotta say, Eddie Joe woulda sounded better for a hypothetical...) would be sitting in lawn chairs at the border with their shotguns shooting at the Mexicans trying to cross the border....

Other than that?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
No, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO ,NO, NO, NO....

I simply cannot do this again.....
Alas, I am finding that almost 70% of the posts here now have been discussed once before in one variation of another. This one isn't bad but indeed it's been discussed many times, but if I see another "what is the reasons for the civil war" or "what is the best president" I may foam at the mouth.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Alas, I am finding that almost 70% of the posts here now have been discussed once before in one variation of another. This one isn't bad but indeed it's been discussed many times, but if I see another "what is the reasons for the civil war" or "what is the best president" I may foam at the mouth.
The last thread is still fresh though... I don't think anyone will mind if I sit this one out...

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
I saw the movie, it was very very interesting and I would recommend this film. Spike Lee produced it. The inter-cut commercials showing real products were an eye opener as well as the ending. We still have Aunt Jemima pancakes and Uncle Ben's rice.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
The Confederacy was by design a very loose confederation. While there might have been some expansion, to Cuba, into Mexico, and so on, there would also have been fragmentation. Instead of a confederacy, it would have been more like the European union, with states running themselves as individual countries, and fostering economic and diplomatic relations amongst themselves. The Southern states also felt stronger bonds to the European countries, and some would have forged alliances with Europe that would have made the network of treaties that led to World War I much more complicated.

What is far more interesting, to me, is the what if of the Northern states. New England would have seceded rather quickly after the war if the South had won. It had toyed with secession before the war, and the very distinct identity of the region combined with its economic interests would have led to a speedy withdrawal, I think. Canada would have expanded further into the United States, and would probably be the world power today. I wonder, also, if the South had been successful in secession, if Quebec wouldn't have pursued secession from Canada even more vigorously, so that it would be a separate country today, perhaps with territory in Vermont and northern New York as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Canada would have expanded further into the United States, and would probably be the world power today. I wonder, also, if the South had been successful in secession, if Quebec wouldn't have pursued secession from Canada even more vigorously, so that it would be a separate country today, perhaps with territory in Vermont and northern New York as well.
Interesting. A nation made of those American states and Canadian provinces on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence would be an industrial, financial and agricultural powerhouse. Sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History