Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:48 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Fascinating stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE

Settlement of Asians in the Deep South (1763 – 1882)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Dig that accent. Reminds me of this black priest we had at our church that had a thick Irish accent, That's about the time I started working on different voices and accents.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Dig that accent. Reminds me of this black priest we had at our church that had a thick Irish accent, That's about the time I started working on different voices and accents.
At my favorite take out Chinese place in Alabama, the guy working the phones and taking orders sounds as if he just got off the plane from Shanghai. The accent is so thick you can barely understand what the guy says. Meanwhile, you can see all the guys in the back room chopping away and working their woks. I always kind of assumed that this guy spoke English the best, so his job was customer contact.

One day he wasn't up front and I arrived to pick up my order. It was a slow day and there was only one guy in the back. He had a cleaver in one hand, slowly chopping away at a fish. He looked up, noticed me, and said, "Hey. You know what this is? This here's a Chinese anchovy." The guy sounded like something from Deliverance. It was hilarious, I was so caught off guard. So much for the stereotype.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:18 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
It's at least partly told. Prof. James Loewen wrote a book some time back called The Mississippi Chinese. I found it informative.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
I actually knew about most of this. I wasn't aware it was obscure information!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:01 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I actually knew about most of this. I wasn't aware it was obscure information!
This.

But I read a lot of historical texts and articles.

America has always had people from all over the world in the country.

One of my distant cousins also has an ancestor who was East Indian (Asia). They were an indentured servant in the 18th century in America and later moved with black and mullatto Americans "west" to Indiana and Ohio after black codes were passed since East Indians were considered black or mullatto at that time.

I also read a lot about the AME church and know of an early AME bishop (AME is one of the first "black" churches in America - African Methodist Episcopal) who was East Indian.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
With the exclusion act, how did the chinese even grow or start families? I imagine they will have to marry outside community and gradually stop being chinese over time.

And isnt the Delta suppose to be the NOLA region. Like the Nile Delta, or the Mekong Delta are right along the shoreline of the ocean. Memphis to Vicksburg is very much inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History