Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times

Advertisements

I am making some doll clothes for GD, and have used velcro with hot glue gun, but new sewing. I am using the machine and the velco is for the back of the dress closure. The thread keeps breaking, and I realize that the thread is snagging on the velcro. Do I have to do this by hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,545 times
I did a couple of Velcro closing baby bibs. I had the thread break on me too. The best thing that worked for me was use a Jeans Needle in the Machine and sew along the edges of the velcro. If you have to go across on the hard piece then do it between the hooks. Look close at it. sew between the things in a straight line.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
I usually try to sew close to the clean edge as close to the "hooks" as possible without actually sewing over them. My machine has no problem with Velcro and I can sew across the width with no problem, but why borrow trouble. Do the edges first. On my Pfaff, it works fine with a size 14 Schmetz needle. But I realize some machines do not have a lot of penetrating power to get through it. If you are doing small doll clothes, why not just sew on small snaps? Might not be as fast, but will last longer and be easier for the kids to use.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Like quilterchick I have a machine with plenty of strength for penetrating tough stuff like velcro. If changing the needle doesn't help her advice on using big snaps is perfect.

The thread breaks and shreds because it is being rubbed against the plastic base of the velcro, so the best protection would be a needle that makes a large enough hole to let the thread pass through without being dragged against a sharp edge. Any larger needle (size 14 or 16) like the universal, sharp (microtex) or jeans needles from Schmetz work fine. If you still have issues move to a metalic needle or a larger embroidery needle.

For a while when I had younger girls to sew for I made a lot of American Girl sized doll clothes. I found cutting the velcro in half the long way made it easier to apply and for very young fingers to open and close the doll clothes. It also matched the tinier seams along the edge It requires being pretty careful on the edge sewing. If you can apply it using a narrow zig zag width it will leave the velcro with less edges to feel and it is easier to attach, even if you miss the velcro here and there.

It was also hard to sew if the velcro was just held with pins. I've been using plain fabric glue in stick form to hold it in place now and that makes for less breakage and easier, neater sewing. btw the glue is not strong enough for permanent hold.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I sewed velcro to fasten slipcovers for my porch furniture cushions, and I found that the loop side of the velcro was easy to sew, and did not damage the thread, but the stiffer hook side will shred and break the thread unless you are very careful to stay right on the edge. Do not sew in the hooks (you can manually sew across the ends if you slowly turn the wheel with your hand). It can be done if you sew slowly and carefully.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Thanks so much for all the advise. I did end up cutting it in half lengthwise. I then just sewed thru the fabric to the velcro on the bottom. Being doll clothes, it was not all that necessary to hide any stitches. The thrill was this afternoon when my GD got home from school and was surprised to see the doll and clothes on the kitchen counter, which I dropped off early in the day. She gave me a call to thank me. That made my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation