Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

I have sort of a dilemma, and I guess it's not a bad one and probably one that most people would like to have. Basically, I have too much time off. Sounds weird right?

Well, it's just the nature of my job but I work 4 days a week and am off 3 days but the thing is, I work the night shift. The problem is that I try to stay on a night shift schedule on my days off because otherwise I'm like a zombie the entire week trying to get back to the night schedule. The other part is that my wife can't make it past 9 P.M. so I am basically stuck at night by myself. I go to these forums a lot but I honestly feel useless after sitting on the computer for 8 straight hours. I'd like to do something constructive with my free time. Something I can do at night and not make a lot of noise because I don't want to wake my wife up. Currently, I work out in the yard before sunset but the grass can only be cut so many times a week and before long my neighbors are going to think I'm a meth head for cutting the grass so much I'd like to find something to occupy the time and, if possible, make a little money on the side doing it. Any ideas or people in the same situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Scale model building, see what built up models are going for on eBay you might be surprised. You'll have to learn how and develop the skill but that is sort of what a hobbie is all about, right.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
You sound like a nurse

I had a roomate that did online computer support at crazy nighttime hours - not a hobby exactly, but that could be a source of extra income. Model-building is good too, like Davart said.

When I had crazy hours with nothing to do, I enjoyed solving cryptograms. Sometimes I play sudoku - those brain-jogging activities always kept me stimulated. Maybe you could start writing.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Maybe you could try painting or drawing.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Not really a hobby, but I know a lot of people do Medical Transcription at night. They make good money and just get paid for whatever they do after the kids are in bed. Also, similar to another suggestion above, you could work for an answering service or something similar. What about an ebay business? I know these all require the computer again.

Maybe you could take up knitting.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Star gazing!

Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Quote:
Star gazing!
Oh TOTALLY!!!! That's a great idea!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Star gazing!
Not a bad idea... I kind of like that one. I'll have to look into it.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Depending upon where you live, perhaps a course at the local Community College or University would be desirable. You could do your 'homework' at night and on your days off. Give you something to 'shoot' for and everyone could use a little bit more education.

I believe that most colleges, universities do have night classes and/or those that you could take on the internet. Might lead to a whole new set of adventures, and knowledge. Good luck to you.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
There are on-line classes also. What things interest you? I'd get a potter's wheel and kiln setup in my garage. If you like history, learn about an area you'd like to visit on vacation. Learn the language along with the history. If you like architecture, learn about different styles, draw floor plans. Pick a subject that interests you and learn everything you can about it. Learn to play an instrument - not drums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation