Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,759,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^Guy I know has an original D&D in mint condition in the box, signed by GG. These are the very first run where Gygax and his buddies had to hand affix the cover design sticker to each box by hand.

I don't know what it's worth but it's impressive as hell, I think the original run had 5,000 in it.

Very nice

Big bucks when the market is right. I sold my D&D stuff at the height of when people we HELOCing their houses like taking money out of ATM's.

However mine was not a signed handmade from his garage original copy.

I might wait for another 20 years before trying to sell that. Could be worth a small fortune by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 12,479 times
Not that difficult but a lot of fun. Most DM's are great with helping out newbies, focus on developing your character and let the other charcaters help you out.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,121,323 times
You can play some AD&D games on the computer, the Temple of Elemental Evil, and the Forgotten Realms series. They'll give you a good idea of how to play. Man, we had good times playing those games back in junior and highschool. Get a good bunch of people together and a good DM and you'll have fun. I'm glad online roleplaying( Everquest, warcraft) hasn't completely ended the pen and paper game. I still have my original battered books and through EBAY got some of the old old stuff. I played with the original boxed set before they came out with Advanced D and D. Am I now that ancient?
Excuse me, I have to go explore Quasqueton again....

Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
My son and his friends, aged 19-24, are gamers. The started young with simple video games and moved into things like D&D, Magic, Catan, Warhammer 40K (permanently set up in the garage) in addition to the Xbox, PS3 and Wii and all the old systems. League of Legends is always running on the computer too.

I love when they play D&D and other role playing games. I'm usually in the other room but they get into it and use voices...lol.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,312,045 times
D&D was the best role-playing game... when it was the ONLY role-playing game. Other than that, it sucks. It's kind of like the Microsoft of rpgs; it is the most known, has the largest marketshare, does almost everything the worst way possible, and still prospers despite that.
Better systems (in no particular order):
Rolemaster / Spacemaster
HERO
GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System)
Ars Magica
Storyteller (Vampire, werewolf, Mage, etc.) (but avoid the morons who do the live-action stuff)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation