Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times

Advertisements

Saturday I re-strung my Ibanez classical, and now it wont stay in tune. I tune it up, and play it in the morning and when I go to play again it is has dropped half to a whole step out of tune. Does it take a while for these strings to settle, or did I sting it wrong. I think I did a pretty good job stringing it, not perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
restringing classical guitar - Bing=

Topher ~ Use this link and explore the websites it offers. Find the type of guitar that your guitar is and restring your guitar exactly as you are instructed.

I don't have a nylon string guitar; mine are steel strings....but all guitar strings need to be locked in place when wrapped around the post on the tuning peg/machines. Once you have them locked in properly your strings will stay in tune properly.

Once I finally took the time to learn how to restring the correct way for whatever style of guitar and hardware that I have I couldn't believe the improvement! The guitars stay in tune so great!

Most people do not string their guitars properly at all(!) and it's not too hard to learn the right way of doing it. People give me their guitars to string and even tune them for them.

DO take your time when learning and restringing! Get comfortable and have the correct tools you will need to trim off the excess string and to remove any pegs (if you have any - you probably don't on your classical).

Do things textbook....exactly as shown! Take no shortcuts.

Do not remove all the strings at the same time! Remove one and replace it, then move to another, preferably the string on the opposite side of the guitar neck. (For example, if you replace the 1st string first, then do your 6th string next.) Removing all strings at once can damage the guitar! That's a shame but it IS true....it's a shame because it sure would be nice to have all of the strings off of the guitar so that you can more easily clean it as you go.

You'll be so glad you learned it!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Saturday I re-strung my Ibanez classical, and now it wont stay in tune. I tune it up, and play it in the morning and when I go to play again it is has dropped half to a whole step out of tune. Does it take a while for these strings to settle, or did I sting it wrong.
Nylon guitar strings do take time to settle, yes, much more so than steel strings. They have some stretch to them at first, some brands more than others. If you are careful you can speed this up by overtuning a little, or by stretching them up from the body a bit with your fingers. But unless you're heading out on stage to play a concert in 30 minutes that shouldn't really be necessary.

If they haven't settled down by the next day, they're probably slipping. The high E is usually the worst, because it is thin and slippery and in some brands is really limp. You can lock it to the tuning roller in two ways... bend the loose end over (the one sticking out of the hole) and trap it under the winds of string around the roller, or take the loose end and wrap it a half turn and then poke it through the hole a second time, from the other direction. Either way will lock it down so it won't slip on the roller.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Check out you tube there are some good videos on the subject as well as stretching new strings

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Try tightening the screws in the tuning pegs. (located in the center of the gear)

Those little black screws.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Saturday I re-strung my Ibanez classical, and now it wont stay in tune. I tune it up, and play it in the morning and when I go to play again it is has dropped half to a whole step out of tune. Does it take a while for these strings to settle, or did I sting it wrong. I think I did a pretty good job stringing it, not perfect.
The strings could be binding or catching at the nut. I don't have a classical but I assume this problem is with all types of guitars - nut is cut wrong and catching the strings. One solution to this is to add some lubrication, which is, strangely enough, ground lead. Guitar dealers also sell something called "Nut Sauce", not an appealing label, but apparantly it works.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Do a search on you tube there are many videos and info

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
You need at least four or five wraps around the peg. I dont cut them off and give then a few good tugs while winding them up.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
and I thought my Floyd Roses were a pain

Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Nylons will stretch and stretch, give it some time.. play them. Keep tuning it every time it goes out a half step. A clip on tuner is nice to have if you dont have perfect pitch like me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation