Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 02:55 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

A question for all you yarn crafters out there please. What's the best brand of regular yarn out there for the least money? I'm about to start something (not knitting or crocheting) and I'll need yarns of all colors, but not thin...a thicker yarn thatt doesn't fray, shed, or snag easily to where you get all those flyaway threads coming from it.

I like that chenille yarn, which is thicker. I love the look and feel of it. Anyone know the best brand of that too for the money? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 04:00 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
Just hobby person here.
Try www.herrschners.com or www.yarn.com
Bernat has nice quality but have not bought yarn in years, using up small stash.
Ask at forum see https://www.ravelry.com/about/main6
Ravelry members also sometimes sell yarn.
https://forum.lettucecraft.com/ what used to be www.Craftster.org now archived read only. See threads on yarn there.
Goodwill is source for yarn my DD tells me her college friends go there for crafts supplies all sorts of things.

See thrift store, yard sale, salvage yards finds.
https://forum.lettucecraft.com/t/thr...-finds/3264/16

Not sure why yarn video is age restricted.....
so if you can see it there in USA .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpxJ7cORqA

and older video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXIzxjCfHQ&t=169s

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 09-19-2021 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-20-2021, 09:26 PM

Nerys52SoSilver, thanks a lot for all the info. I'll check it all out!

Old 09-21-2021, 08:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
A question for all you yarn crafters out there please. What's the best brand of regular yarn out there for the least money? I'm about to start something (not knitting or crocheting) and I'll need yarns of all colors, but not thin...a thicker yarn thatt doesn't fray, shed, or snag easily to where you get all those flyaway threads coming from it.

I like that chenille yarn, which is thicker. I love the look and feel of it. Anyone know the best brand of that too for the money? TIA!
Yarn is expensive right now. Pandemic crafting.

Can’t help you with chenille. But, if you check out what Joann’s has in their yarn department, sign up for their mailer for coupons, and then get the app on your phone and get coupons from there. They will allow you to double up. Saving 40 to 50% off of a skein of yarn not bad at all.

Right now I’m crocheting a baby blanket using Caron simply soft. It’s a very soft yarn, but it does not have a heavy twist and it splits and frays easily. I don’t recommend it. Red heart super saver is one that a lot of people like that I’ve never used. It’s a basic acrylic. Sometimes you can get really good deals at crochet.com on all sorts of yarn and they frequently have sales — mail order only.

I crochet a lot of baby blankets and afghans, and acrylics great for that, but I did a shawl in cotton that was very nice to work with but fairly expensive.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:42 PM

Tallysmom, thanks. I agree about pandemic crafting. People are doing more at home.

I went to all 3 of my stores on the same day (JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, & Michaels) to check the prices of the supplies I'd get. Isnapped pics of the items w/ their prices so I'll make note of which is cheapest.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:36 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
I knit scarves and hats for donation to various things and have found that Michael's economy yarn works great for that purppose and it's about $4.00 per skein and comes in a ton of colors:
https://www.michaels.com/value-solid...M10196925.html

Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo is a lot of yarn for little money and also works well.

Again, it depends on what you need it for. When I make hats for chemo patients, I used a much softer (and more expensive) yarn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation